Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do you amplify your monitors?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by blipndub, Jan 14, 2004.

1. What do you use for monitoring and mixing and what is your set up?

Currently I'm running all my signals through a Presonus micpre and compressor into my old Tascam 4 track that I use as a mixer and then into my Audiophile 24/96 through the line out on the Tascam, I run midi in through a Midiman 2x2 USB. Then I run the line out of the pc into a stereo receiver which powers a pair of infinity bookshelf speakers I use for monitoring and mixing.

My receiver is old and needs replacement, but before I run out and buy a home theater receiver (all that seems available) I’m wondering what my other options were. I need to be able to hear line-in and wav output for multitrack recording.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    The signal from my Audiophile 2496 is fed into a older Kenwood KA-7010 (2x150W) and then into some old Sony speakers with integrated woofers.

The bass signal is run through a Green Audio ME-1 dual channel bass preamp, a Behringer Autocom MDX 1000 compressor, a Zoom 9030 FX-unit and a BBE Sonic Maximizer 401.

Awesome sound for recording and practicing. I don't even look at practice amps anymore.

3. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    Mine are active ;)..Bi-amplified.

M-Audio BX5s

4. so you just run the line out on the pc/mac into the monitors?

5. I have a very good monitoring system here with Tannoy DMT 12's, NS10M's, and Yamaha MSP10's and Auratones with Hafler P3000 power amps.

[​IMG]
    Treena

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Now you're just bragging :D

Nice setup Treena! Very nice (except for the NS10's. They always sound harsh to me but I guess you have to have a pair........)

7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    No, from the line out into the hifi stereo amplifier and then into the passive monitors.

8. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    I run my from the Audiophile, to a mixer (running a small 8 channel mixer as a split console). Then they mixer into the speakers, since mine are actice they don't have to go thru a amp. Also most speakers don't have RCA outputs so I had to convert from RCA to XLR (or TRS). SO the mixer also does that.

9. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    S/PDIF out on sound card -> MindPrint DI-Port -> Samson Servo 150 -> Soundcraft Spirit Absolute 2 monitors. I like these monitors a lot.

10. I thought that's how it was usually done, but then how do you hear your pre-recorded tracks for overdubbing?

All of my recording is based on overdubbing so i need to hear what's going in and out similtaniously.

11. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    input monitoring. If you are micing in the same room as the speakers you will need headphones, or you will get feedback.

What software are you using?

12. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Be carefull you don't turn your headphones up too loud. They can spill into the recording mic. I've seen an entire session virtually wasted because the piano player kept asking for the click track to be turned up in his cans. We were in such a rush that no-one noticed that the piano mic was picking up the sound click. We managed to gate most of it out.

13. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    I have done the same..had to ditch the whole session. Issolatoin headphones will do the trick tough, but those are a pretty penny.

14. So where is your headphone out on the speakers? or do you split the line out from the audiophile?
    I do all my tracking with phones it's the only way in my little home setup as of yet i've not had bleeding problems that i've noticed anyway.
    I work in Cakewalk Homestudio the poor man's Sonar. Whenever i try Protools free it boggles.

15. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    I run my headphones thru my mixer, there is a heaphone out, and I turn off the speakers.

I run sonar, there should be a place where you can input monitor, look thru the options.

orr go as the guys at

www.homerecording.com

16. that's a great resource.
    I'm actually set up with the ins and outs I was just wondering if I had an alternative to buying a whole stereo home theatre reciever for such a simple application (playing back audio).

Home Studio and the Audiophile are set up for input monitoring, it works beautifully.

17. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Out of PC through Apogee AD8000 on to the Neotek master section and out to a pair of Genelec's (Powered)