1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How do you cook fish?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Scarlet Fire, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Scarlet Fire

Scarlet Fire

Mar 31, 2007
    New England
    I was walking through the supermarket today and happened across the fresh fish section. Some of the stuff there looked really intriguing. Salmon steaks, shark... It all looked delicious, but one thing stopped me from diving in and experimenting:

I have no idea how to cook fish.

So, any expert chefs here care to help a guy out?

2. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    I worked in a seafood restaurant for a few years. What do you want to try first? And/or what sort of things do you like?

3. Out of all the stuff that I know how to cook, fish is the one thing that I don't know how to do. Watching this one close.

lowsound

4. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    Don't cook it - call it sushi - problem solved!
    (no charge)

5. Scarlet Fire

Scarlet Fire

Mar 31, 2007
    New England
    I'll be honest: the most experience I have with fish is fish sticks from the frozen food aisle.

I once had grilled salmon, however, and that was absolutely delicious.

Edit: I typed shrimp, but I meant fish. I have no idea why.

6. You can grill, boil, barbecue or bake most fish. Just ask a fishmonger how best to cook what you want to buy.

7. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    I can tell you that you need to clean up ASAP after cooking it.

8. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    Salmon is a very meaty fish - similar to tuna but with a completely different flavor. And don't think canned tuna tastes anywhere near like fresh yellowfin tuna steak.

Most of the frozen fish products like fish sticks are made from cod. Good, but cheap. Tilapia, Orange Roughy are two of my favorite white fishes - a different taste than Salmon or tuna type fish.

9. Depends how you want it done. Don't be scared of it. Steam, poach, sear, broil, grill, etc. It's all good.

One important thing... DON'T overcook it. Overcooked fish is downright yuckie, IMO. As long as it's fresh, having a more raw center is acceptable for most types. Tuna and scallops are good examples of this.

10. They are polar opposites!

11. Smoke em with your choice of seasoning butter+rose merry alemon pepper = heaven with real tuna

12. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    A blind man walks past a fishmarket.

"Hello Ladies."

that is all.

13. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    Well I'd say, to start with, pick a "steak" fish like salmon, tuna or swordfish. They're dense and meaty, so you can cook them in much the same way as you'd cook a steak - just quicker. You can even barbeque them easily.

Be aware that salmon "steak" is sold as a full cut with a bone in the centre, whereas salmon "fillet" is the flatter-looking cut from one side of the fish. Whereas tuna and swordfish are very rarely cut as anything other than a fillet. Ideally you want salmon "steaks", tuna or sword fillets cut to about an inch thick. No more, not much less.

I'm not a fan of salmon really (unless it's smoked salmon in scrambled eggs for breakfast - yum!). Hollandaise sauce is often served with salmon but it's quite labour-intensive to make your own, so (as much as I hate to say this...) maybe look for a jar, or you might have a deli nearby that makes their own up fresh that you can use. Heat it gently though - steam it over a pan - or the suspension will break and you'll just have a greasy mess. Throw some roughly-chopped dill over the top (dill the herb, not a Jewish pickled cucumber!) and you've got a perfectly good bit of dinner.

Tuna's very versatile and very tasty (nothing like the canned albacore you might be familiar with). I think it's best seasoned and seared quickly in a hot pan, medium so it's still a little bit pink in the middle. It's nice topped with a sweet salsa - mango salsa with plenty of coriander (cilantro) is always a treat. And served with roasted courgettes (zucchini), peppers and aubergines (eggplant - damn the internets and having to have two words for everything).

Or you could make up a nicoise salad with some rocket leaves, boiled new potatoes and dwarf beans left to cool, four-minute eggs split in half, break your warm tuna on top and drizzle with a mustardy balsamic vinaigrette. Mmmm!

Swordfish has a bit more of a delicate flavour, so I prefer to just top it with something simple like a lemon and herb butter.

My absolute favourite treat though is really simple: A kippered herring, baked in the oven with generous knob of butter to keep it moist, served with fried halves of tomato and dry brown toast. I order them from a shop on the coast that ships them next-day delivery, so the postman turns up first-thing with my breakfast in his bag!

14. Sneckumhaw

Sneckumhaw

Apr 26, 2006
    Earth
    What kind of fish do you use when frying fish? That's my favorite.

15. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    Fried fish is usually fresh water catfish, trout, crappie, bass, etc...

Or Cod.

16. It all depends on the fish. Bass and Specs, I like to bread and deep fry. Bass Pro Shops bread crumbs are DA BOMB!!

Indoors, I like to cook salmon, trout and other ocean fish in the oven. I smear the entire fish with mayo, roll in breadcrumbs with garlic salt. Add a few slices of onion and some lemon. Then wrap in tinfoil and bake until done :)

On the grill, I like to smoke mullet, skin on with garlic salt. Just put the skin side down. When it's crispy, it's done. Any other fish, I put in tin foil with butter, garlic salt and lemon.

Nothing about fish should be really complicated. Experiment with seasonings.

17. Sneckumhaw

Sneckumhaw

Apr 26, 2006
    Earth
    Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm fish....

18. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    The trad Brit "fish n' chips" fish is either cod or haddock. The batter is really easy: 4 parts self-raising flour to 5 parts water, and a good pinch of salt. Make sure your oil is hot before you put the fish in if you want your batter nice and crispy. Should take about ten minutes to fry, turn it once, take it out when the batter is golden and crisp.

The water can be swapped out for any pale, effervescent beer for a crispier batter with a stronger flavour. Make sure the water/beer is cold when making the batter.

19. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    I like salmon, bake it in foil with some lemon juice, butter, dill and thyme. Sometimes a little blue(sp?) cheese dressing is nice. This summer I want to get a grill basket and try that out.

20. jwbassman

jwbassman Supporting Member

Aug 9, 2006
    During the summer I love to pick up Salmon Steaks or Tuna Steaks and just toss 'em on the grill. Maybe season 'em with some Lemon Pepper....good stuff