1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How do you cook your steaks?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Gazman, May 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. I'm hungry, and someone is Barbecuing meat not far away. I need a distraction!

So, let's say you have a hot plate, grill, hob or your choice of cooking thingy, and a nice thick steak (again your choice).

How do you cook it?

I've converted to turning every 20 seconds, on a very hot grill, until cooked to the desired wellness (med-rare please). Then, a few minutes to rest, before setting on a plate, some seeded mustard and Worcestershire sauce...perfection.

What say you? How do you steak?

Tbone76 and MCF like this.
  2. In a very hot (a drop of water should "spit" off the pan" flat iron skillet, I sear one side of the steak using a simple dry rub of salt, pepper and maybe a little garlic powder. I do this for approx 3 minutes (depending on thickness) in a tiny bit of veg oil (olive oil will burn at these temps), flip it and throw the whole shebang into a preheated oven set to 450 for about 10 minutes (this also depends on the steak, whether its bone in or not, etc.). It's a smoky process.

The best purchase I ever made was a real cast iron pan. It takes steak to another level.

DinoRock, Grumry, MCF and 2 others like this.
  3. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Ribeye 1.5~2 inches thick. Room temp for wifey, chilled for me. Salt, black pepper, and a dash of garlic salt, hot hot hot grill toss them on and turn hers every 10 to 15 seconds about one minute total each side. Mine goes on count to 10 flip it count to 10 and off. Both go on a plate and covered by another plate for a few minutes then served up. Mine will still be cold in the middle hers is a warm pink center.

Frozen J likes this.
  4. I forgot to mention I do mine on a gas range.

5. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Whatever's necessary to cook it rare. If I'm not confident enough in the quality of the meat to cook it rare, I don't want it.

I like the simple in the pan method.

6. Steak should only be for flipped the once.

SteveC, highboltage55, Mike N and 7 others like this.
  7. I have a big heavy cast iron skillet that only ever gets wiped out with paper kitchen roll, never washed in detergent, so it is nicely 'seasoned'. I put it on the Wok burner while I'm preparing the meat, so that the pan gets searingly hot.

My favourite steak is a nicely marbled sirloin about an inch thick (although I also like ribeye). I prepare it very simply by brushing it with oil and then sprinkling with a little garlic salt. I use rapeseed oil rather than olive oil or suchlike, because I find olive oil too strongly flavoured and I never season with pepper at this stage because the pepper burns in such a hot pan. The pan is big enough to put four good sized 10-12 oz steaks in, but I only ever put two at a time in so that the pan stays as hot as possible. I took a tip from some of the Michelin starred chefs, who are all over the TV in the UK, and resist the urge to constantly prod it around the pan or flip it...it stays where it is for two minutes on one side, then two minutes on the other (approximately) so that each side has a really good char on it. Then I use my tongs to flip them up onto the fatty edge and get that nice and crispy for a minute or so. They then get taken out of the pan onto a warm plate, given a good grind of black pepper and covered with another warmed plate to rest for 3-4 minutes.

While the steaks are resting I plate up some nice crispy baked potatos and put a good dollop of coleslaw onto them (or sometimes I'll have fries) and a nice rocket salad with a vinagrette dressing. Then simply whack the steaks on the plate.

I don't mess about with any sauces - good steak should be enough on it's own - and if I've done it right I'm rewarded with a steak thats got a nice caramelised 'crust' all round but is still pink and meltingly tender inside.

Damn...now I have to go shopping for some steak for dinner tonight.

DinoRock and Mike A like this.
  8. GuiTuber

GuiTuber

Feb 19, 2015
    San Antonio, TX
    On the grill. Nothing on it until it goes on a plate. The eater can do as they wish.

I prefer my steak rare to medium rare. I also like a little Whats-this-here sauce.

9. Ox Boris

Ox Boris Inactive

Nov 23, 2015
    Australia
    After years of: 10cm thick scotch fillet, seared (hot as shag) on all 6 sides (4/4/1/1/1/1), then into the oven @ 130C for 20mins (while I cook my chips), I've recently become a convert to the simmer-in-a-bag method and finish by searing. It's superior in every way.

Last edited: May 12, 2016
  10. Kinsman

Kinsman

Jan 6, 2016
    Montana
    Well, first we have a nice conversation with a decent bourbon or corn whiskey.

Meat is a rib or strip steak, seasoned liberally with salt, pepper, garlic, thyme then grilled over very hot coals, and cooked as you like it.
    Baked or mashed pots.
    Green salad.
    Asparagus grilled or steamed then tossed in tarragon butter. Broccoli if you can't get decent asparagus.

Pinot noir at the table, or maybe a pale ale.

Atshen likes this.
  11. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    True, but where you're from, it is pronounce staik. ;)

Atshen likes this.
  12. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Add some grilled red and/or green peppers, and I'm with you.

Joedog likes this.
  13. "Oh, just knock its horns off, wipe its nasty ass, and chuck it right here on this plate!"

14. Kinsman

Kinsman

Jan 6, 2016
    Montana
    "Hi, Mom. This is Andrew. He's my....he's gonna simmer my steak!"

You can have sous vide. I'll take fire.

96tbird likes this.
  15. Ox Boris

Ox Boris Inactive

Nov 23, 2015
    Australia
    Have you tried it?

16. The best recipe for steak. If a good vet can't revive it, it is overdone.

Derp, Atshen and JohnDeereJack like this.
  17. Kinsman

Kinsman

Jan 6, 2016
    Montana
    Yes.

It does produce a nice interior but it loses the soul. And the iPhone app makes it even less appealing.

18. New york strip. oil salt and pepper on both sides. rest on counter for 30 - 45 minutes. grill 2 minutes per side on hot hot coals. put a pat of butter on top to melt. rest for at least five minutes.

19. Atshen

Atshen

Mar 13, 2003
    Grim Cold Québec
    I'm not too fussy. I prefer it rare or maybe medium-rare, with a baked potato and some pepper sauce. Sauted mushrooms are a great addition, and maybe some grilled vegetables.

20. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I love corn whiskey. The young, mostly clear stuff. Jim Beam ghost is excellent and goes amazingly well with a good steak.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 25, 2020