1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

how do you deal with noise complaints

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Holy War, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    i just started up a new band with two incredible guitar players. were playing technically proficient prog metal/rock. we do not have a drummer yet but have guy coming out who is mastering in music and is one of the best drummers in the area. anyways we are practicing in my garage and while most my neighbors are supportive there is one who just hates that were playing rock in his quite suburban neighborhood. we practice for a max of 4 hours but not necessarily at gigging volume but kinda loud none the less. hes called the neighborhood association complaining about us but they told him that there is nothing that they can do. he has called the cops but they have never come to me about the complaint. we practice in the middle of the day and never past 5 in the afternoon. i tried being polite to him but he wouldnt have it. not only does he not want my band playing at my house but he doesnt want me practicing on my home either because he says it annoys him too. im not about to let some diagruntled od man tell me what i can and can not do in my own home. what should i do? excuse the spelling errors im on my cell. Thanks for the help

2. turn it up or down yuo decide........ but dude is a total .....bag and needs to relax and have some fun... invite him to a show or have a beer/cup o wine with him

3. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    Hmm idk man i have been playing in this band since my junios year in high school in this crappy garage. The neighbors called the police enough to were we have to stop playing at 7:15 everynight or the police will atke any thing that makes music in the garage

It sucks that he is so upset in your case but oh well i dont think he has much say if its not extremely loud. if anything play tell the police come and they will probably work out something

I think in your case you guys will probably be given a curfew like my band for playing time

your neighbor may not like you but screw him he sounds like a jerk

4. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    Try to work with him if possible. I wouldn't be happy either if my neighbors were playing really loud music. I would try one of two things. Either turning it down, or working out a schedule with him. If he's retired and spends all day at home that might be a problem, but if you can find a few four hour blocks when he's not around, that could be a good time to practice (as long as it's at a reasonable hour). Then at other times you can just play more quietly. Even if the police aren't bothering you now, it's best not to get the guy angrier. People like that have a way of getting what they want within the municipal system, and if he has way more free time than you do, he'll find (or propose) a town ordinance to stop you. I have a neighbor like that and unfortunately, when he has some ridiculous demand it is usually easier to try to appease him before he complains, litigates, etc.

5. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    forgot to add that i am a us Marine and that helps gwt around a lot of red tape with the police. om also a stident at the virginia military institutw and most of my neighbors respect me enogh to let me play. they realize i am a goos person and that music is my outlet. thw guy is a seriois dbag. i dont think playing music at my home on sunday between 1-5 os all that unreaaonable. ive even had other neighbora come up to me and compliment our music

6. ampeg_turtle

ampeg_turtle

Mar 22, 2009
    concord, nh
    I was in a very similar situation a couple of years ago, we jammed at my drummer's house which was next door to a condominium development. By the end we were on a first name basis with all of the northfield police department as they came on frequent calls and on more than a few occasions sat and listened to us play. Brass tacks dude, find out what your local sound ordinance is, and play as loud as you can for as long as you can right up till the legal quiet hours.

As long as you obide the laws there isn't a damn thing they can do, and the police will tell you the same. Besides if you take it to the extreme for awhile, IMO the neighbors will back off when you bring it back down to a considerate level.

7. mkrtu9

mkrtu9 Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Tuscola
    I'd talk to him and ask him if there are certain times that he wouldn't mind you playing. I would also try and insulate the practice space to save some neighbor headache. If none of that works then I agree with ampeg-turtle and just find out exactly what your city ord for loud music/noise is and do what you have the right to do.

8. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Really, the only solution is to plug in on his front lawn, all amps facing his windows.

9. Stigs

Stigs

Sep 29, 2007
    Richmond, Virginia
    Have you talked to him and asked if he has a specific time that would be good for you to play or not play?

If he keeps being stubborn, crank it up to 11 for a bit so he knows you weren't being as loud as possible out of courtesy ;)

10. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I've been in this boat. Eventhough we hated it, we would chip in to get the complainer a gift here and there. The complainers in my case were a Christian, non drinking family. We bought the five dollar starbuck cards, and after one particular loud long night, we got them a thank you card with movie tix we scored from a buddy. We spread the gifts out and by doing so we practiced at my house for almost two years until we secured a better place to play.

11. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    If the cops aren't fining you or telling you to turn it off then I'd say you'd have little to worry about. Try to be as courteous as possible when you tell the complainer to sod off.

Do some research anyways into your sound ordinances though. Here in Spokane people have the right to complain at anytime of the day...no sound curfew.

If you have to find a different place to rehearse....I don't know if they will still allow it, but the band I was in; as well as a lot of bands I knew in VA. Beach jammed at a certain self storage facility. If you are interested I'll PM you some details.

12. MadMan118

MadMan118

Jan 10, 2008
    Vallejo, CA
    Send him to me in a box(stiff, still warm, or breathing), I'll throw em' in the bay for you.

13. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Or maybe look at the other side of things. What if the guy works midnights and you wake him up when you practice? I KNOW that would piss me off, REGARDLESS if you're playing "technically proficient metal".

How about turning down? Everyone in the neighborhood wins. Neighbor is happy, you still get to practice.

14. XtreO

XtreO

Jan 2, 2008
    Norway
    Our band isolated the garage we play in. Just make a skeleton on the wall, fit in the isolation and hammer on a new wall. It'll lower the volume outside by a LOT. Problem solved!

15. See what the local limits are, see if you can get a cheapy dB meter to see where you are legally.

I've gone through stints of working at all hours, and I can assure that it isn't a pleasant thing having some people randomly blasting noise about when you are trying to get some kip.

16. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I'd poop on his lawn.

17. D Rokk

D Rokk Banned

Feb 19, 2009
    Delta Quadrant
    if you are disturbing someones peace no matter what time of day it is they can get you in serious trouble noise curfew or not. it is a shame that some people arent willing to help you help them.. but thats life..

that or you could call the cops every time he mows his lawn at 7 am.. claim you work til 5 am and are trying to sleep.

18. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Believe me, cops LOVE it when people play retribution games. NOT. I can guarantee if you start playing games like that, the cops will go out of their way to not help you.

19. D Rokk

D Rokk Banned

Feb 19, 2009
    Delta Quadrant
    i was being sarcastic..

if the cops see you are being polite and accomodating to the guy and if you are polite and accomodating to the police then you probably wont have too much trouble.. at least until this guy finds some actual law you are breaking

20. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Very true. I probably missed the sarcasm because SO MANY people do actually play such silly games.