1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How do you discipline yourself to go through a bass book?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by villarddefender, Dec 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. villarddefender

villarddefender

Nov 21, 2017
    I like messing around too much ever since I've started playing bass: I would either play the same little things I know over and over and sometimes random stuff but I'm not making any major progress. I know that going through books will pay off more but for those who did it, how do you set your mind to do it? Why does it seem so hard?

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    50 Shades of Mel Bay

CB3UK, McG, Jim Nazium and 15 others like this.
  3. mobdirt

mobdirt Guest

Jun 14, 2017
    it was easier when there was no internet

Jhengsman, jcsk8, Joe Nerve and 16 others like this.
  4. mobdirt

mobdirt Guest

Jun 14, 2017
    mel bay slap bass technique was my first lol

Stumbo likes this.
  5. banditcosmo

banditcosmo Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Great question that I wish I knew the answer to. I've been playing for quite a while now and I do the same thing. I'll read a bit in the book I have (Music Theory for the Bass Player by Ariane Cap) and do an exercise or two then I go off noodling and put the books down. I can't seem to stay focused on learning from a book or video's at all. I'd love to know how to stay more focused on the lessons.

6. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
    ADD gotcha?

Thumb n Fingers likes this.
  7. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Goal setting is a skill in and of itself.

Your goal might be to finish the book, but that might be too big and ambitious of a goal. Maybe it's more reasonable to divide that goal up and say you will do one lesson or chapter a week. Set a date and time when you'll do it each week and then stick to it. It'll be easier to hold yourself to that rather than to say you just want to make it through the book without a clear path on how you'll do that.

Joe Nerve, CB3UK, ExaltBass and 16 others like this.
  8. villarddefender

villarddefender

Nov 21, 2017
  9. villarddefender

villarddefender

Nov 21, 2017
    Now that's what I'm talking about and call discipline! Thank you :)

Levin likes this.
  10. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    I've got about 6 books on the go....

Every time things start to look a bit difficult, I bottle it and go back to Mustang Sally.....:eek:

jcsk8, JACink, FenderB and 5 others like this.
  11. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    It's tough and I do not have the answers.
    This year opened up with absolutely nothing on the horizon and I decided it would be a great time to set up the electric upright and get serious about jazz standards and arco. Then I came across a frontman and the blues band was back on track and I had to learn 12 originals. A classic rock opportunity materialised - learned 15 new songs - and then it evaporated again. Seems like every time I think I can get serious about theory and technique, I need to learn another 20 songs. Spent the money on Ray Vogt's DVD series hoping that investment would help me get serious about it - I haven't watched Lesson One even as I _know_ it would help me become a better player. I signed up for a Jazz Workshop to work on upright technique and Jazz Standards and that is helping... As much as I have learned everything in my technical career (RIP) from motivated self-study, I haven't found a way to make it click with music. I do learn a bit here and there so the resources are not totally wasted, but it's hard...

12. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    Either you want to get better, and that motivates you to focus on the material....or you're happy with where you're at. There's nothing wrong with either of those options so long as you understand your expectations and limitations.

If you lack motivation/focus, then you're not going to get good at anything that requires the time to do so - music or otherwise.

928cat, mrcbass, Al Dente and 8 others like this.
  13. My reason for buying a book is usually to get something specific from it. When I get that, I see no reason for going over the same exercises over and over that are listed in the last 12 pages of the book.

Long story short. When I get what I bought the book for I have no problem moving on to something else.

14. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    Yes!!! I'm waiting for it to come out on DVD.

Stumbo likes this.
  15. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I got the 3 Mel Bay beginner book compilation last Christmas - some of the fundamental stuff, like reading, I don't know well. The last year, I got through a page or two. I apparently have too many gigs to prepare for (I practice every day) to learn how to play bass. I probably knwo 90 percent of what's in the book, and probably a lot in more advanced books ( I am getting better), but there are gems that'd probably be easier to learn via the book method.

I know this is a non answer, but it's good cautionary info - if you want to learn how to do things by the book, set your mind to it before you start to get gigs. Bassists are often very busy!

Stumbo and villarddefender like this.
  16. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
    Record yourself.

Richie Se7en, Levin, tlite and 3 others like this.
  17. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Just start.
    For me, sitting and just beginning the process is half the battle.

Stumbo, tlite, Nashrakh and 7 others like this.
  18. RichardW

RichardW

Feb 25, 2016
    near Philly
    Think of all the great bass players you love and admire, like McCartney, Jaco, Jamerson, JPJ, Entwistle, Larry Graham, Verdeen White, etc.

Pretty sure none of them spent 5 minutes going through a bass book.

19. villarddefender

villarddefender

Nov 21, 2017
    ^so true and they were geniuses but what was their secret.

20. lyla1953

lyla1953

Jul 18, 2012
    Found an instructor who recommended a method he knew well. Ed Friedland's 3 books. The instructor would assign lessons, test (had to play all the tunes) answer questions, adjust bad habits each session. In essence the fun of improvement, discipline and cost made me focus. As time went on other supplemental books were added mainly reinforcing reading and rhythm skills. Joined the University Cincinnati Conservatory of Music Jazz program 19 months later. My instructor was the key. MUST PRACTICE EVERY DAY (GAS does not count) and use the MoltoMusic Practice Planner to keep track.