1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How do you like the G&L preamp?

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by paulraphael, Apr 20, 2006.

1. paulraphael

paulraphael

Apr 13, 2006
    Brooklyn
    If you heard me play, you'd stop reading what I write.
    I have no complaints about mine, but I've never owned a higher end bass. To my ears it sounds pretty transparent. And I like that it's simple, without active tone controlls. But I've heard some criticisms of it.

Has anyone upbraded the preamp (but left the pickups, tone controls etc. the same)? Or tried with an outoard preamp like the Sadowsky? Maybe tried something with 18 volts? I'm curious to know what people's impressions are.

2. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Due to the setup (passive tone controls) I'd almost call it a line level amp. Even the treble boost circuitry is external. I like it because it really lets the original sound of the bass through, never sounds "proccessed" for lack of a better term. They really should shield the damm things though.

3. paulraphael

paulraphael

Apr 13, 2006
    Brooklyn
    Yeah, i agree on the shielding. I had a local tech shield mine, and clean it up on the inside ... he said all the wires were two feet longer than they needed to be!

the bass is much, much quieter than it was when new.

4. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    I love G&L's with a passion but not for their control cavities:

[​IMG]

5. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    I changed my preamp out years ago. I have a Pens preamp from Rudy's Music (Rudy Pensa). THey also offer the preamp in an external version that you plug into, but I went with the internal one. I think my bass sounds great with it. Much more bass boost than the stock pre, which is why I replaced it in the first place. It sounds great with the stock pickups.

6. ustabawannab

ustabawannab Caesar's palace, morning glory, silly human race. Gold Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Greenfield, WI.
    How do they do that? Do they line the cavity with some kind of foil than ground it?

My tribute 25K doesn't buzz, but I have the opportunity to purchase a late 90's American 25K that, according to the owner, buzzes when the series/parallel switch is in parallel. I'd like to buy it but I don't know what to do about it.

7. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    It buzzes in series, not hardly at all in parallel. If there are no noise sources (i.e. sitting in front of a monitor), series is just awsome. I typically record in parallel, play live in series. It's no worse than a typical single coil bass like a Jazz or a Rick.

8. ustabawannab

ustabawannab Caesar's palace, morning glory, silly human race. Gold Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Greenfield, WI.
    You're right. I re-read his email. He said when the middle switch is clicked towards the bridge. That's series.

9. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Staff Member Supporting Member

If I am used to the Sadowsky onboard preamp will the G&L preamp be a let down for me ?

10. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    Dunno but many of us just run the G&L's passive. IMHO the pre, when engaged, just boosts the signal but doesn't color it. Remember the G&L controls are cut only. Many other on board pres are cut/boost. Apples and oranges.

There is the treble boost setting but I never use that . The things are bright enough as is for me. :D

Jim

11. flash99

flash99

Jun 8, 2005
    New York City
    Kevin,

When your bass comes in, I'll go through the electronics with you. It's preamp is a totally different animal than a Sadowsky pre but in a lot of ways it's more useable combined with all the switching options. I have an Alleva~Coppolo Standard 4 which I love and while technically it's a much higher end bass than any of my G&Ls, I get a lot more useable tones out of my G&Ls.

12. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I disagree a bit. I've found that engaging the pre clarifies the sound. With one pickup/tone controls setting I can have old school woof (in passive) and then clean it up by going active or active/treble.

You're right, though - it doesn't really color the sound like other pre's - more of a boost.

13. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Staff Member Supporting Member

Thanks Matt , I am looking foward to it.

14. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I'm actually not sure how it would compare with the Sadowsky pre. All I know is that this is a passive bass with an active pre. It sounds great passive - old schooly. Engage the pre and you do get a boost in volume and clarity, but the tone remains constant. If I were you I would try your G&L through the Sadowsky and see what you get!

15. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO

Series is not a humbucking setting in many G&Ls. In the old days they called series "single coil with bass boost". Leo connected the two coils in series with a 0.1uF connected at the center point. This pulls all the highes out of the bottom coil so just the lows add to the output of the top coil.

If you run both pickups at the same time, the two pickups are hum ADDING. You can make the single coil with bass boost hum bucking with both pups on if you reverse the order of one of the series strings.

I believe Tributes do not have the 0.1uF caps so all series settings are hum bucking.

I have written some info on this that is in the "How Toos" area at The Dude Pit G&L Forum.

Dave

16. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I have a Tribute and there's no hum to be found.

17. paulraphael

paulraphael

Apr 13, 2006
    Brooklyn
    He painted the cavity with conductive paint, and then grounded everything to one point with a star ground.

Someone mentioned the Coppolo preamp ... Jimmy coppolo was actually the guy who did this for me. Excellent work. The control cavity looks nice now and is dead quiet (originally it looked like something you'd get in the mail from the Unabomber).

18. paulraphael

paulraphael

Apr 13, 2006
    Brooklyn
    The quality of your guitar cord, and also the input impedance of your preamp will influence your impressions of this. In passive mode, the sound of the instrument will be much more influenced by these factors.

With a cheap, higher capacitance cord, and with a low input impedance preamp (a lot of older amps) passive mode will give a more vintage sound, with rolled off highs. With a low capacitance cord and high input impedance preamp, the difference between active and passive will be much more subtle.