How do you pop

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by i like tictacs, Jul 20, 2004.

1. Not how do you pop...but what method do you use? I personally use my fingertips and bend them at the knuckle across the string, and get the same efffect as hooking my finger under it and pulling it up, but the first is much faster to me IMO and doesn't shred up my fingers.
  2. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

i put my finger in a hook, but i dont actually "hook" the string, i just get the tip of my finger. the hook is just to my finger under/behind the string.
  3. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    omg lolz u nub u dun no how 2 pop lurn frum da masta u kno fidely is da slap mastaz..

On a more serious note, I slap two ways.. I basically have a first with the thumb up, and use my the side of my finger (similar to marcus miller). My other way is just a relaxed hand, index finger pops the A and D string, middle finger pops the G.
  4. ironmaidenisgod

May 20, 2004
    You do way.
  5. When I go slow, I'll hook a nearby finger under the string and pop with that as I reach with another finger for whatever I'm going to do next.

When I go fast, I'll put the motion in my forearm and move my hand towards and away from the strings and catch strings where necessary.
  6. i usually use that "fist with the fingers out and ends curled" technique, and I find that in my hands and in most other people's hands, that the middle finger perfectly digs in so that you can catch the G string
  7. death777

Jul 25, 2004

What do you guys do when popping the d string? doesn't that rip up your knuckle? :help:

I don't usually pop on the d, but i wanted to put some slap over a chord prog. and i was doing alot of d string poping and my finger is riiiiipped up. :bag:
  8. quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    You suck.

I am of course kidding. Practice and get technique down. If something hurts your hands don't do it. Work your way around the problems and maybe do it a way that no one else has thought of. I had to learn some crazy funk this year and I'm not a slap player. You learn fast when there's pressure.

Now I have super slap chops and can make any fieldy fan scream for more. Clackity clackity clock. MadSKillza
  9. Jazzin'

? popping the D should not destroy your finger unless you pop crazily.
  10. Yes, I don't think that's ever happened to anyone else.
  11. death777

Jul 25, 2004
    umm... you know when you throw in some mute pops and stuff.. well, the back of my finger(right behind the nail) rubs the g string and after playing the riff a few times, i noticed i was making a hole in my finger. how else could i hook the string without hitting the g? It's not like my hands are extreme big or anything and on the bass i was playing has wide spacing. :(
  12. Jazzin'

u mean when u pop the A?
    edit: yah i meant D but yah A too.
  13. death777

Jul 25, 2004
    pop the d, but the same would work for a. now i have a chunk of skin missing(bb size) not too deep though... and a blister :scowl:
  14. Jazzin'

your probably popping too hard and getting toomuch of your finger under the string, try just getting the tip ONLY of your figer to pop the string.
  15. Your knuckles shouldn't be scraping the string above, only touching it lightly. I think this is a technique problem. You need to work on your approach to the string you're popping.
  16. death777

Jul 25, 2004
    hmm... how else can i fit my joint under the string without rubbing the higher string? I don't want to hook the joint too far under cause that would be hard to pop quickly... and if I barely hook it with the tip of my finger the part of my joint right behind the nail rubs the higher string. :scowl:
  17. Jazzin'

dont put ur knuckle so close down, keep it a little higher.
  18. I think you're running into trouble with your approach to the string. When I do it, my finger descends from above (I'm using above to mean the direction away from the bass, not actually the direction my head is in), and begins to slide under the string as soon as it is close enough to do so. The pad of my finger slides along the string until the amount of finger I want is under there, and then I pull up. Usually, at the very end of the movement, when I reverse direction and travel up for the pop, my knuckle touches the adjacent string. Subconsciously, I think it's my cue to begin the lift. I just don't hit it hard enough to do damage.

I hope that helps a little.
  19. death777

Jul 25, 2004
    yeah, thanks.. it helps. I think i've just gotten a little sloppy doing alot of pops on the g, so I just need to work on it.
  20. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Aug 27, 2003
    redwood city, ca
    Endorsing Artist: See Profile
    i use my fingernails.