Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how do you...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by g00eY, Dec 24, 2005.

1. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    slap? i can't friggin figure out what all you peoples are doing. i'm pretty sure i'll almost never use this technique in the style of music i play, but i wanna learn how to solo and stuff. and then i won't feel tarded when i go to Guitar Center to try out new stuff. any help is greatly appreciated :bassist: .

2. whitedk57

whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    My theory is that people learn slap just because they want to be cool at the music store.

3. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Get a teacher? Check out a book? Find another bassist that will show you? Buy a Victor Wooten instructional DVD? Do a search on this forum? Slap technique isn't something that's easily or quickly explained online, do your homework! Also, don't necessarily associate slapping with soloing, because you can do whatever you want with whatever technique you please. Good luck!

4. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Or not..

5. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    what makes u thin that?

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    DId you read the first post? "so i dont feel tarded when i go to guitar center to try out new stuff' :rolleyes:

Thats an awful reason to learn slap.

ANd no, its not the main reason people learn slap. I rarely slap at all when im at music stores. I think it draws unnecesary stupid attention.