How Does It Work, I Forget?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bluewine, Aug 20, 2009.

1. bluewine

bluewine Inactive

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Ok,someof you guys know about all the drama I caused about going back out and auditioning for gigging Pop/Rock Band at age 56.Everyone in the band is half my age.

Then you know I got picked up my a band a few months ago and have several shows under my belt.I love it and I plan on getting better at all aspects of gigging from my chops to stage presense.

Thing is, yes I'm in it for my love of Pop/Rock and playing.But you know, a little attention from the ladies in the clubs would be nice.

What gives? no more attention at 56, i am not ove weight, grey or bald. It's certainly not like it was when I was 26.And I know I am not going to attract the 20 somethings but at least the 40 year old ladies.

Any suggestions? I have no action plan or ideas.

2. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    Give up the Bass and become a geetar player.

3. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Join a kiss cover band. Or lava life.

4. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    In my experience, women don't give a **** about tone, technique, feel, sound or anything.

It's stage presence.

If you're standing in the back really focusing on the technique, and what's comin next, then no way the ladies are gonna pay attention.

If you're out front, dancing, singing, pointing to the crowd getting them to sing, basically rockin out without a care in the world, THEN they'll start to notice you.

5. :D

6. what the dreamy one said .. either that or wrap a cucumber in tinfoil and shove it down your pants .. they're both good :bassist:

7. WookieeForLife

WookieeForLife

Sep 30, 2008
    PA.
    I get the cucumber but not the tin foil.

8. bui

bui

Feb 24, 2009
    Texas
    It's to help with the electricity in the room.

9. WookieeForLife

WookieeForLife

Sep 30, 2008
    PA.
    OUCH

10. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I think Mark Wilson may have nailed it for you. Smile. Move around. Hand a tambourine to a lady you think is cute. And don't EVER make a mad face when you make a mistake. Have some fun with it. Wink at some ladies. Cheese it up!

11. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    OK, so if you want my honest advice (worth it's weight in gold).

Unless you're the frontman or extremely good with your stage presence, if you're wanting 'attention from the ladies in the clubs', you're best bet is pre/post actually being on the stage.

Scout out any interests, talk to them before you go on and make sure they know you're playing and plug yourself a bit (face it, most bass players don't even get noticed on stage), then continue the banter afterwards. No offense, but if you're in a band with all the other members being half your age, and you're the bass player.. It's going to take more than stage presence, playing skills, looking the part and a cucumber to get anywhere.

12. bluewine

bluewine Inactive

Sep 4, 2008
    WI

Yeah,I guess scoping out the scene.Look and see if anyone looks like their lookin.I do remember that you can't break up a pack(chics that araive in groups of 3 or more)

Yes, Maybe talk to someone before we start a set. And this one hurts, stay focused on women within 10 years of my age.

13. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Nahh.

14. ^ Dang, blue, you are getting it after all. And remember to dress and act like a mature man. NOT some dude having a mid life crisis, or some kind of identity issues. I.E. ditch the threads the teen agers wear. YOU ain't no spring chicken no mo. AND the women you will be trying to attract, will not be interested in a man that refuses to grow up and act his age.

15. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois

Kick ass on bass. :meh:

But seriously, rock and roll has a lot to do with vibing with the ladies. I'm 41 years old, overweight and bald (with a skullet!) and I can always persuade women at my shows to get all "hot and sweaty" just by jamming on the bass and hollering into the microphone the way I always do.

Music. :bassist: :cool:

16. bluewine

bluewine Inactive

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    I know, I know, I know, but I am not giving up my collection of fresh Chuck Taylors, they just feel too right.

17. bluewine

bluewine Inactive

Sep 4, 2008
    WI

Xgator, I do listen and I know it's never going to be 1969 for me again.Man, is it me or were the chics cooler back then?

I know what a 56 year old looks like hanging outside of the club at 3 in the morning smokin cigs trying to hang.It's pathetic

18. Tama

Tama

Nov 19, 2008
    Bugtussle
    I like Chuck Taylors too. I don't think they are only for young people. I use them cause they work well on my bass drum pedal.
    Now if you're 47 (like me) and have the "anarchy" symbol on your Chucks....ah better rethink that choice :D

19. DblG

DblG

Apr 27, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Hmmm... Did you try the Arthur Fonzarelli Method? Take a bongo solo, spot a cutie in the audience, move your lips as to say "I love you" and then walk off into the sunset with her.

:D

Sorry Blue, I got nothing.

20. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Just pretend that you're disgustingly rich.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021