1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How Does Your Band Get to Gigs?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by jaywa, Aug 2, 2012.

1. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Just curious how many people here are in bands that have a "band vehicle" of some sort (SUV, van, bus, RV, whatever), and how many of you are in bands where everyone drives themselves to gigs.

Also, is each person reponsible for getting his/her personal gear to the gigs or does it all ride in a trailer or something?

In my band we have a full size SUV and a trailer that the BL owns and maintains. Everyone meets at his place and we all ride to gigs together with everyone's personal gear and the band P.A. and lights in the trailer. Gas for the "band rig" is taken off the top of the gig pay, as a band expense. If anyone wants or needs to drive separately we always have that option but the gas $ comes out of our own pocket.

OTOH, I know of other bands where every member drives themself to every gig.

So how does your band roll (literally), and do you like the arrangement or wish it were different?

2. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    We are all individually responsible for getting ourselves to gigs.

Blue

3. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I usually drive myself, but lately Ive been catching rides with band members.

4. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    All of our gear is unreasonably large, so necessity dictates individuals transport their own respective mess.

5. BelleNoireBass

BelleNoireBass

Apr 18, 2012
    Bay Area
    Well we only played out once so far since I've been in the band, but for the most part we all took separate vehicles. I drove (honda civic wagon) with my whole rig, ampeg 6x10 and head, plus bass and a few of other people instruments plus some drum stands and stuff. Drummer drove his honda civic hatch with his family too and he didn't bring anything with him instrument wise. Then the guitarists drove a suv with all the rest of the drums, all the rest of the amps and everything else we could fit. We are playing out again in September for our EP release show and it will probably be a similar.

6. FutureTense

FutureTense Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2008
    Wilton, Iowa
    Usually we drive separately. Sometimes the guitarist and vocalist will ride together. Vocalist brings the PA equipment in a large truck.

7. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    I play and sub in a variety of groups, but they all tend to handle driving gigs the same way. Local gigs, we all meet at the venue. Anything over 2-3 hours away, we either all go in a van or else carpool in a couple vehicles.

8. DRafalske

DRafalske

Nov 6, 2008
    Hebron, KY
    We all drive separately and pretty much are responsible for our own gig. I don't own the PA system, but I handle it too. I'm the only one with a big enough vehicle to fit it all.

9. Always hoped someone would pick me up in a limo and drive me to my gigs, but unfortunately that's never happened.

I've played in 3 bands, subbed in several others. In every case all members were individually responsible for getting themselves to gigs.

10. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Individual vehicles. we normally don't spend time with each other except at
    rehearsal and gigs.

11. TinIndian

TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    For the most part, we all drive individually, though for far away gigs the guitar player and I usually ride together. The BL has a small SUV he brings his drums in and to tow the trailer with our PA, Lights and what not. Everyone else is responsible for bringing their own gear.

12. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Individual vehicles. We are quite spread out geographically, so it is the only practical solution.

13. ThirstyMonkey

ThirstyMonkey

Jun 27, 2011
    We transport our PA gear and amps in a minivan, everything else is transported in each person's own vehicle. We all meet at our rehearsal space and load and the caravan to the gig.

14. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Wow... great responses and to be honest I'm a little surprised how many vehicles y'all are taking to your gigs... though I totally understand everyone's situation is different.

In my band's case, we go the one-vehicle route for three main reasons:

1) 4 of the 5 of us live in the same town so meeting at the BLs place is only really a pain for the 5th guy (drummer), who lives 90 minutes away.

2) We hardly ever play local gigs, and due to the nature of our market our gigs are very spread out geographically. It's pretty typical for us to drive 60 to 100 miles (one way) for a gig, with some gigs much farther away than that. That's way too much gas for everyone to be burning with their own personal vehicles.

3) We have a big enough trailer that all of our production as well as personal gear can ride in it comfortably.

As an added benefit, we always know nobody will be late to the gig, and nobody will try to skate before teardown is done at the end. :D

In the band my BL was in before he started this one, every member drove themselves to every gig... even on gigs a long distance away. There were two guys who lived in the same town and even then those two never carpooled. He said by the time everybody factored out their gas expenses, the members of the band hardly netted anything. So by all of us riding together we get to keep more money in our pockets and that makes him (and me) happy.

15. threshar

threshar

Jul 30, 2002
    Depends on the gig - sometimes some of us will carpool together, sometimes we arrive separate. Depends on where the gig is.

In my older band one of the other guys would ride with me because I had to lug the giant PA of doom. Eventually being saddled with the PA all the time and no one (besides that guy) willing to help me load lead to my explosive exit from the band recently. (I've ended at the doctors more than once due to injuries I had lugging that thing around.. cool, huh?)

16. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Good point. All our gigs are local. I believe 50k (~ 30 miles) is our limit before extra fees start kicking in. So meeting up with even my closest band mate would tend to double my trip.

Gas tends to run me around $8 per gig. Sometimes more, rarely less.

17. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    It really just depends on the gig.

18. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Our SUV/trailer combo gets about 8-9 mpg. So yeah on the longer trips the gas expenses add up. OTOH, if we were taking 3 smaller vehicles then each of those vehicles would have to be getting 25 mpg or more to come out ahead and only one of our personal vehicles (mine) even comes close to that. And even in those situations we wouldn't have a prayer of getting our P.A. and lights transported (which is critical since 90% of our shows are DIY production).

But, our BL prices-out our more remote gigs correspondingly higher than ones that are closer to our home base. So for us it works out pretty well.

19. Sometimes by car, sometimes by boat. Nothing like rolling up to a gig in the boat!:cool:

20. Bradass

Bradass

Oct 17, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    We all live in the same town and I'm roommates with lead gui****, and the drummer and rhythm tard live together too. We take 4 vehicles to gigs now that we have our own PA. When we started out we managed to get everything into two cars. Now, with new cabs for me and my roommate, and the PA, we need all 4 cars and each of us drives on our own. It completely sucks, but whatever. No money for a trailer right now, although now that I think about it, maybe it's time to start pricing one out. Driving to gigs alone just feels kinda lame.