1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How good are your ears? Soundclips inside...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ryan Mohr, Apr 15, 2009.

1. 1

11 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. 2

6 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. 3

31 vote(s)
    47.0%
  4. 4

9 vote(s)
    13.6%
  5. 5

9 vote(s)
    13.6%
  1. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    This thread is a follow up to this: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=535628&page=2 except this thread is focused on which bass is which, not tonal preference.

However, in this thread there are five clips. The basses you will be hearing are a Fender Classic ‘60s Jazz Bass, a Squier Affinity Precision Bass, and a SX SJB-62CT 3TS. There will one clip of the Fender J (rounds), two of the SX J (flats and rounds), and two of the Squier P (flats and rounds).

Fender: CS '60s pickups, 1-month-old DR nickel lo-riders (45-105), everything else stock

Squier: dead Ernie Ball slinkys (50-105), everything else stock

Squier: dead GHS precision flats (45-105), everything else stock

SX: Bayou Audio harness, dead Fender 7150s (40-100), everything else stock

SX: Bayou Audio harness, dead GHS precision flats (45-105), everything else stock

In the clips, both pickups and tone are on full on both basses. The recording signal path was bass->direct out (pre eq) on Fender Bassman 150->Behringer mixer->Behringer interface->Dell. I used a Bayou Audio canare instrument cable and a Gepco mic cable. I didn't use any compression or EQ on Audacity. So the tone may be a little bright, harsh, and clacky but I want to represent the entire voice of each instrument. Pardon my sucky playing, try to focus on the tone. The song is Be Yourself by Audioslave.

I recorded the clips in no particular order, and numbered them one through five.

1: http://www.zshare.net/audio/58695139a8132b0d/
    2: http://www.zshare.net/audio/58695063433cab0f/
    3: http://www.zshare.net/audio/58695000aa5c629e/
    4: http://www.zshare.net/audio/586949246bc9895c/
    5: http://www.zshare.net/audio/58694632caddb8c8/

When you respond, you can just put the numbers vertically in the order you think the way I listed the basses below. Choose which soundclip you think corresponds to the basses as listed below.

Order:

Fender w/ rounds
    Squier w/ rounds
    Squier w/ flats
    SX w/ rounds
    SX w/ flats

Good luck and thanks for participating!

PS: I am adding a poll because I am curious which tone you guys prefer the most.

Sorry if this is confusing, the goal is this thread is to guess which bass is which, and NOT which tone you like. I just figured that would be interesting to see.

2. Disappear

Disappear

May 9, 2008

I liked the flats the best. The other tones needed more bottom end and less mids in my opinion.

3. Stickk

Stickk

Sep 2, 2008
    Jambi
    +1.

4. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK

5. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    You guys are close but no cigar.

6. msiner

msiner

Sep 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    4 Fender w/ rounds
    2 Squier w/ rounds
    1 Squier w/ flats
    3 SX w/ rounds
    5 SX w/ flats

7. 3

8. Stee Flo

Stee Flo

Dec 7, 2007
    VA

My favorite was #3 Jazz with rounds.

9. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    In a band with 2 guitars I would use tone 2. In a band with 1 guitar I would use tone 3 or 5 depending on the type of music. IMHO bass tone is determined in "where" you need to sit in the mix to help your band sound its' best.

10. cosmicevan

cosmicevan

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    3 & 4 were the most pleasant to my ears (i voted for 3), but none of these tones are my ideal...they were all too raw sounding to my ears. i prefer a smoother tone and for jazz basses, a bit more aggressive than these options.

11. I voted for 3 but 2 is also interesting.

12. i voted 1....but now i am not sure

13. Mike151

Mike151

Dec 22, 2008
    Sherman Texas
    3 has a nice throat sound and also trebel punch that I prefer.

14. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    So far nobody has got it, keep trying! :D

What do you mean by smoother but more aggressive?

15. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    Which bass do you think 3 is?

16. I liked 2 the best with 3 in coming in second but 3 sounded a little too scooped for my taste. Number 5 sounded a lot like a P bass to me. 1 and 4 sounded very dead and would probably get lost in a loud rock mix so when you turned up it would sound muddy. #2 is my choice.

17. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    Thanks for the opinions, any guess as to which bass is which?

18. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    By the way, the main goal is this thread is too guess which is which. Thanks for the opinions on which tone you guys like, but also try to guess which is which if you take the time to listen! Thanks

19. I would say that #3 is the Fender with rounds due to the clacking I'm hearing, #2 is the Squier with rounds. Everything else is up in the air. #5 and #1 are definitely flats......I think. It also sounds like you were soling the neck pickups on some of them.

20. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    You're on the right path. There are three J basses, with both pickups on full played in between the pickups, and two P basses with the pickup on full. You think the J basses sound like the neck pup is soloed?