1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How is Ishibashi?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Justin89, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Justin89

Justin89

Jul 6, 2008
    the dirty
    has anybody ordered from them?
    I always see cool stuff up there, but never pulled the trigger. is this all just used stuff?

2. Justin89

Justin89

Jul 6, 2008
    the dirty
    sorry forgot to add:
    has anyone had any problems ordering from them? particularly to do with shipping
    how about customer service?

3. Dee_01

Dee_01

May 19, 2007
    I haven't ordered from Ishibashi but I'm considering doing so at some point in the future. I want a MIJ Jazz.

No, they sell new gear too, not just used stuff in the U-Box.

http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/

4. I have a friend that has ordered from them in the past. No problems. Highly reputable.

5. Dee_01

Dee_01

May 19, 2007
    +1.

I have several friends that have ordered from them and apparently it was a painless experience. They have English speaking staff, as far as I am aware.

PS: There's Ikebe, too: http://www.ikebe-gakki.com/index.php

6. nickn

nickn

Oct 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I don't have first-hand experience about this, but I heard that they won't ship NIB MIJ basses to the USA because of Fender's policy. The only MIJ basses Fender allows to be sold in the USA are the ones you see at the big dealers, such as the Mustang, Jaguar, all the various RIs, etc. All the other MIJ Fenders are made for domestic (read: Only for Japan) sale.

Someone confirm/deny this?

7. Dee_01

Dee_01

May 19, 2007
    I made a thread on it earlier. Unfortunately, nobody replied. However, someone mentioned in another thread that they do still ship out new MIJ Fenders. I would like confirmation. If it's true, it sucks. MIJ is the best quality to price ratio. I can't afford USA made Fender and I don't want Mex.

8. I've purchased several basses from Ishibashi u-box. Never had problems.. Highly recomended!!!

9. deny

10. They are great, there is also new stuff. The only 'problem' I've had is there are limited English speaking employees so be prepared to wait 2-3 days for your email to get replied to. Otherwise they are polite, to the point and FAST.

11. choo5

choo5

Apr 15, 2004
    sydney, australia
    actualy its true, they refused a friend of mine when he asked.

12. Bought a couple of times there (used and new). Very friendly staff, extremely reliable, very good after sales support.

However, my last two orders were problematic (for different reasons), I will not buy there anymore, at least not in the near future.
    After the extremely positive experience I had in the past, I'm pretty disappointed because of the trouble I recently had :scowl:

Edit: They don't ship new(!) Fender instruments outside Japan. You can buy used ones anytime.
    The same goes for Ikebe. Not the dealers are to be blamed for this, it's Fender who wants to sell mediocre stuff for exaggerated prices.
    The best Fenders I've seen so far were CIJ and Fender wants to sell MIM and MIA.

13. The dealers did not make that decision that's true but calling Fender's MIA products mediocre and claiming their is a conspiracy to not bring MIJ to America is crazy. Fender sells MIJ in America right now so clearly they have no problem with selling it here. Most of the stuff available in Japan is color variants and such. I also would take a MIA Fender over a MIJ one any day of the week.

Music Man will shut down US dealers that sell their products outside of America. Are they part of a conspiracy to keep decently priced MM instruments away from foreign buyers?

On topic: I ordered from Ishibashi years agi and it was a killer experience. They responded to my email within hours I bank wired them the money and had the bass in under a week straight from Japan. It was faster than Musicians Friend. I have no ordered recently so I know nothing about them not selling domestic Fenders outside of Japan or how their service is now.

14. Justin89

Justin89

Jul 6, 2008
    the dirty
    thanks for the info guys, its really appreciated! :D
    if any one has any other experiances let me and others know.

15. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I hear nothing but good things about ordering from them. And I LOVE my MIJ Jazz!!!

16. look, I have absolutely no idea about the USA, so if you think my posting is "crazy" - I don't care.
    When Fender changed the policy for shipping CIJ to Europe, I had a chat with a guy who knows it - he works for Fender. The reason was that many people in Europe ordered CIJ from Ishibashi and others, because they got quality for their money. At the same time, a MIM was more expensive and MIA prices absolutely insane. Even guitar stores started to import CIJ by themselves instead of buying through the "official" Fender channels.

This might have been or be different in the USA.

17. Dan B

Dan B

Oct 19, 2008
    Pittsfield, MA
    Do they deny shipping of other brands that are exclusive to Japan (IE some Ibanezes, Yamahas, Arias, etc)?

18. shipping to the US?

19. @Dan B
    The last time I've asked it was only Fender. But that was a couple of months ago.

Funny enough, I've bought a new Gibson Les Paul "Slash" there for much less money than
    it would have been in the USA (and Europe, of course). Ishibashi is always worth to have a look ;)

20. shipping outside Japan. At least for NEW Fender stuff. Happened to me, too.
    However, there are dealers on ebay and some "agents" in Japan who buy the stuff and re-sell it again.
    This is more expensive bcs. they want to make some money and the 5% VAT are also included (Ishibiashi sells without VAT for export).
    But at least it's a way to get such a bass/guitar.