1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How is the 1983 BC Rich Eagle?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kevin90Jazz, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Kevin90Jazz

Kevin90Jazz

Jun 23, 2017
    So I've been trying to sell my CIJ Jaguar bass for 2 months now and this one guy is offering a trade for a 1983 BC Rich Eagle bass NJ series. I dont honestly care for the way it looks but I'm curious how it sounds. I normally only play jazz basses. But at the same time I've never really played much else. Lol
    Thanks for the help guys!

Attached Files:

2. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    I have the single pick up edition of that bass. Same color too.

It’s a good guitar. Nice neck, 24 frets. DiMarzio thumps.

I think you’d be leaving money on the table at a straight trade.

Reverend179 and saabfender like this.
  3. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Central Valley
    that bass will seriously thump if you like the sound of a P bass you will love that one as well...NJ stands for Nagoya Japan and they are really well built instruments...as for trades the Eagle is worth anywhere from $800 to $1000 depending on it's condition neck thru bolt on etc. so i would say it a fairly even trade...

saabfender, 3rdworlder and 9c1ny like this.
  4. 9c1ny

9c1ny Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Early 80's Japanese series, second only to handmade BCR's , build quality is as good as it gets for 1980's imports, these have great playability and with a few tweaks sound as good as they play, everyone has a Fender but a BCR is a show stopper

saabfender, 3rdworlder and 10cc like this.
  5. gfen

gfen

Aug 21, 2014
    lehigh valley
    stayed at a holiday inn, once...
    Japanese made BC Rich, DiMarzio pickups, P/P is an excellent sound that's like a beefier, meatier Jazz sound (y'know how people say a buffalo burger tastes like a beefier beef? it's like that).

I don't care for the Eagle shape, but maybe it's more ergonomic and balanced than some of the other BC Rich styles. Only you can decide that, but I'd certainly want to strap it on and see how it feels.

But soundwise? I wouldn't think twice. I have a BC Rich with the same general layout and controls, and I think the sound and design of that is perfect and everything I could want in a passive bass (which is, to be fair, what I prefer). YMMV.

saabfender and 3rdworlder like this.
  6. There has been on on Craig's list in Seattle I keep looking at. I am very interested in other opinions on this bass.

7. bolophonic

bolophonic Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I owned an Eagle once. I wish I hadn’t sold it, to be honest.

8. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Central Valley
    Do it!

3rdworlder likes this.
  9. wmhill

wmhill Suspended

Aug 20, 2012
    upstate NY
    MTD basses endorsed artist Bartolini pickups emerging artist TECAMP bass players gear endorsed
    trade before he changes his mind

3rdworlder and 9c1ny like this.
  10. 9c1ny

9c1ny Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2008
    My NJ 20180809_111711.jpg

saabfender, 10cc and wmhill like this.
  11. Kevin90Jazz

Kevin90Jazz

Jun 23, 2017
    So I told him I'd do it yesterday but he hasn't responded. I asked him if he wants to meet up since we are only 1hr 30mins appart and never answered. Wonder if he was trying to scam me. I was on the Reverb app btw.

Also thanks for the help guys!

12. Kevin90Jazz

Kevin90Jazz

Jun 23, 2017
    Side note! Anyone interested in a Fender CIJ Jaguar with EMG preamp and Fender 1960 jazz pickups? Screenshot_20180817-083226.png Screenshot_20180817-083216.png

13. grrg63

grrg63

Dec 14, 2005
    Pittsburgh
    3rdworlder likes this.
  14. If the Jaguar was mine, NICE bass as it is, I'd definitely trade it for the BCR. And that even if the BCR requires some work and TLC to get it perfect. What the man has is a well-made Japanese instrument, with good solid wood & excellent tuners, plus my all-time favorite pickups, DiMarzio Ps.
    Now don't get me wrong, Fenders are great instruments, but those vintage BCRs, they're something else!

If you do the trade, please share some pics with us here :)

grrg63 and gfen like this.
  15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 24, 2020