How many basses do you own? (Currently) Part 2

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Jan 23, 2013.

1. 1

802 vote(s)
    9.7%
  2. 2

1,352 vote(s)
    16.4%
  3. 3

1,395 vote(s)
    17.0%
  4. 4

1,154 vote(s)
    14.0%
  5. 5 to 9

2,443 vote(s)
    29.7%
  6. 10 to 20

802 vote(s)
    9.7%
  7. 21 +

208 vote(s)
    2.5%
  8. Too many to count

72 vote(s)
    0.9%
  1. stelles75

stelles75

Sep 26, 2014
    Maybe they're in the process of experimenting with different ones and gradually upgrading? Who knows? I also know some great musicians that play on budget gear and they sound fantastic.

Personally, I would ultimately like to get down to only 3 or 4, once I settle on my true loves. I've gotten some higher quality basses in the last couple of years and there is/can be a massive difference in quality and playability. I modded the crap out of a Fender to get it to play perfect and it's still not nearly as playable as my Rev was out of the box. I'm just at the point where all my basses are more "premium" instruments and decisions will have to be made at some point. I need more coffee.

gzarruk, bass-icly me and Jason Stock like this.
  2. gzarruk

gzarruk

Aug 31, 2009
    I currently own 2 basses only, but the max. I've had at the same time have been 3. In my experience, it DOES take a bit more effort to keep more basses in good shape, specially in places where humidity is very high and strings die faster than usual (that's why I use Elixirs).

Having said that, more basses is always the answer :thumbsup:

3. PizzaFiend

PizzaFiend

Oct 4, 2019
    USA, Earth
    I’ve merely got 10, and yes I do :thumbsup:

CSJBuzz and GroovyBrews like this.
  4. My family buys them for me, because I'm a difficult guy to shop for, so that is My Birthday, Father's and Christmas all rolled it to many years. I am a weekend warrior no need to spend $ on expensive basses anymore. I play them all in rotation nothing I have collects dust, lastly I sound the same no matter what I play and I set up all my basses myself and paying for strings thankfully is no issue. After having my Alembic series II stolen at a show along with my BC Rich Jersey beast in a different situation, I am not going to buy something that I am not going to gig.

B-Mac and PizzaFiend like this.
  5. PizzaFiend

PizzaFiend

Oct 4, 2019
    USA, Earth
    Right on, brother! You be you! :thumbsup:

B-Mac likes this.
  6. thanks I learned a lot of life lessons as a bass player for over 5 decades, That is scary to say :) :bassist:

B-Mac and PizzaFiend like this.
  7. trseal

trseal

Mar 18, 2021
    NorCal
    I'm not sure why how many basses or ____ (fill in the blank) anyone has should elicit criticism from anyone else. Some folks collect cars or stamps or plates or spoons or spouses. What's wrong with a bass collection? Seems wholesome to me. I certainly have more guitars than I need (or maybe even deserve) but that's not adversely affecting anybody else. If it gives joy and one has the means, ROCK ON!

Tim

CSJBuzz, PizzaFiend and Jason Stock like this.
  8. I have more basses and cars than I need but, I still have them :)
    2000 Mercedes ML320, 2002 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 2006 Chrysler 300M, 2013 Kia SXGDI, 2021 Kia Forte LXS :)

CSJBuzz, B-Mac and PizzaFiend like this.
  9. Ok so nearly 24 whew! I have my 63rd BD coming up in September and the wife nearly pulled the trigger on a Musicman Ray4 she liked! she is as bad as I am at keeping these bass guitar buys under control hahaha God love her.

10. Wow, don't ever lose her!!

rtslinger likes this.
  11. nope she's a keeper married 29 years in Dec :)

CSJBuzz and bass-icly me like this.
  12. 28 in September with mine but she's the otherside of the spectrum, wishing they would all go away.

Still love her dearly...rassafrassenriggafriggenrostituton....

13. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    I have a Precision with flats
    a Jazz Bass
    and a StingRay5.
    I have all I need and want.

CSJBuzz, Mr_O'B and gzarruk like this.
  14. Mr_O'B

Mr_O'B

Feb 22, 2015
    4 Basess:

Maruczczyk
    Fender American Suhr era j-bass
    MIM j-bass
    Parts Squier p-bass

I need a 4 string Music Man, and I want a 4 string passive Stenback just because. ;)

gzarruk and lowdownthump like this.
  15. Wife kids got me BD present

Sterling by Music Man Ray4 Electric Bass Guitar

16. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

PizzaFiend likes this.
  17. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

No. 102 on the way....should be here on Tuesday or Wednesday.
    Why do I need 102? I don't.
    But I want this beauty and it was a good price and in great shape so I filled the want, not the need.
    Sellers pic.
    s-l1600 (7).jpg

18. forgot to add Walnut finish :)

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021 at 4:37 PM
  19. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    I own two guitars… It all I really need; a four banger and a fiver.

5D5B6425-7D8B-43B8-BB2C-58330D388FCF.jpeg

Outtaseezun, PizzaFiend and gigetto like this.
  20. David76112

David76112

Feb 19, 2012
    America
    I don't have any Basses. I do have a set of used Bass strings that I hope to have a Bass to put them on someday. But for now it's a kazoo and a slide whistle.

BOSS302BASS and Matt Dean like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021