How many basses do you own? (Currently) Part 2

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Jan 23, 2013.

1. 1

802 vote(s)
    9.7%
  2. 2

1,352 vote(s)
    16.4%
  3. 3

1,395 vote(s)
    17.0%
  4. 4

1,154 vote(s)
    14.0%
  5. 5 to 9

2,443 vote(s)
    29.7%
  6. 10 to 20

802 vote(s)
    9.7%
  7. 21 +

208 vote(s)
    2.5%
  8. Too many to count

72 vote(s)
    0.9%
  1. GSNOLA

GSNOLA Opinionated but approachable 4-string Scotsman. Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2010
    New Orleans
    I’m going to treat this like therapy. Ok.

Fender 1972 Precision (my Queen)
    Fender 1977 Jazz
    Fender 1977 Fretless Precision
    Fender 2017 Precision
    Fender 2018 AO Precision
    Musicman 1982 Stingray
    Musicman 2005 Anniversary Stingray
    Musicman 2018 Stingray Special 5HH
    Rickenbacker 2016 4003S
    Kramer 1979 450B Fretless
    Warwick 2004 Stage II Streamer
    Pedulla MVP 4 2015
    Ibanez 1983 Musician
    Status 2017 Jazz Custom
    Status 2014 Streamline
    Epiphone 2014 Jack Casady Goldtop
    Kala U Bass Fretless
    Yamaha BB2000 1982

And that is probably enough embarrassment for one night.

2. ntang

ntang

Nov 2, 2020
    Got 3 with one on the way.

CIJ Geddy Lee
    Yamaha RBX
    Ibanez Multi-Scale

On the way:
    MIA Geddy Lee

There will be many more in the future.

3. They have a way of gettin ya hooked. Thats coming from a Precision player.

ReillyProductions and marchone like this.
  4. Its funny that I was/am a Prcision bass player but have more Jazzes than than Precisions.

CV 74 jazz with actual 74 pickups and Swing 66s on it.
    VM 70 Jazz with 62 Originals pickups and Fender flats
    VM 5 string Jazz still all stock, for now...
    Eppiphone EBO with LaBella short scale flats.
    Last but not least is a VM Precision bass, pj. Wearing Fender flats and a Duncan Designed bridge pup from the 70 jazz replacing the original ceramic piece o junk.

Soon to be added to the stable will most likely be the 60s CV Jazz Fretless. O my.

5. Davis Carl

Davis Carl

Apr 18, 2018
    I own 3 basses; an Ibanez Blazer 4-string which I purchased in 1980, an Ibanez SR-506 6-string, and my most recent purchase about 3 years ago is a custom Kiesel Icon 5-string which was a pleasant surprise compared to some $5000 basses I’ve tested. I’m really at home on that 4-string and I love the 6-string for its range, but the Kiesel is an all-around great bass with great tonal range and playability. But I still plan to buy a Musicman. As a beginner, I passed on the Musicman in 1980 for the Ibanez not knowing it was behind the iconic (no pun intended) sound of bassist Louis Johnson. I did play it at Rick’s Music Shop but didn’t plug it in after playing the Blazer. Rick was a fast talking salesman and I thought he only want to sell me a highly priced bass when he asked me to try it out. Oh well.

gzarruk likes this.
  6. I own four basses, all from this century.

- Fender Precision, Japan 2017. My first bass, and it's my favourite. I love the broad thin neck.
    - Yamaha BB415, 2006. My only five string. Tuned normally, but I'll probably switch to E-C.
    - Harley Benton single coil Precision. My latest. Sounds like rolling thunder. It has a Hipshot Xtender on it that cost as much as the bass.
    - Ibanez acoustic bass. This I use at home when I don't feel like plugging in.

That's four basses, and that's going to be it for a while. These four fulfill my needs, and I couldn't even fit any more basses into my very cramped and very multifunctional room.

7. Father's Day brought #23 this is my second jazz bass :)
    upload_2021-6-25_10-27-11.png

8. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    0BE28201-1333-4743-9325-6548C1601BD7.jpeg

These are the basses I currently own and I plan to make no changes. My basses are: US Geddy Lee; Carvin SB5000; US SUB Sterling;Yamaha defretted with EMG split pickup; SBMM Stingray 5.

9. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    With that collection it looks like you have all the basses covered. Very nice!! You are lacking nothing. :thumbsup:

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  10. Dincrest

Dincrest Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    2 and they're all I need.

My main is a heavily modded ESP/LTD HTB-600 that's easily the best sounding and best looking bass I've owned. It doesn't have my favorite neck, but I can live with that for the tone. That bass has "my" tone.

My second is a recently acquired 1988 Japanese-made Soundgear. I got it in a trade and it's in near mint condition. I don't love the tone on it and it looks pretty plain, but the thing oozes quality and I adore its playability. The neck is an absolute dream and the instrument is light and well balanced.

When one's in the shop, I still have the other so I never skip a beat. 20210618_220007[1].jpg

It's not lost on me that one has my preferred tone and the other has my preferred playability... but I like that they're both different. And I love 'em both.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
    PizzaFiend and gzarruk like this.
  11. Fernando Costa

Fernando Costa

Aug 4, 2013
    Lisbon
    5, two Fenders Jazz MIA, one Fender P MIA, one Sandberg California TM5 and one fretless, a Marleaux Diva 5.

And two guitars... Nobody is perfect.

12. mmnbass

mmnbass

Aug 24, 2017
    I’m up to six:

2006 Fender Jazz Bass w/ S1 switch, black
    2009 and 2010 Fender Steve Bailey fretless + fretted, sunburst
    2013 Squier Vintage Modified Precision Bass V, candy apple red
    2017 Fender Elite Jazz V, natural
    2019 Squier Classic Vibe Bass VI, sunburst

13. What's an S1 switch?

14. mmnbass

mmnbass

Aug 24, 2017
    It’s a button Fender put on the neck volume pot of J basses built from roughly 2003-2008. It lets you switch between series and parallel wiring, which they advertised as something that could help achieve more of a P-Bass tone, although I usually just solo the neck pickup when I need that vibe.

instrumentalist likes this.
  15. Otis66

Otis66

Apr 29, 2019
    Fender American Pro P bass TRI burst rosewood board
    Fender American Pro P bass black maple board
    Fender Jazz American Pro II Roasted pine Natrual, maple board
    Music Man Stingray Special SR5 Natural, maple board.
    Music Man Stingray Special SR4 Burnt Edge rosewood board.

16. WillyWonka

WillyWonka Yes, I act just like this in person. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2019
    I still only have one

instrumentalist and Otis66 like this.
  17. stelles75

stelles75

Sep 26, 2014
    91/95 Refurbed Peavey Fury (FURBY!!)
    EBMM Stingray (single pickup)
    Fender Jazz Bass Adam Clayton special (the green one; would do terrible things for a purple sparkle edition)
    Fender Blacktop Precision Bass
    Reverend Thundergun
    Ibanez acoustic, which is pretty much... I would like to know of an acoustic bass that is not useless.

Wow... short list. I got rid of two basses recently and I guess I need to stock back up! Got my eyes on the Wattplower II or the Yamaha BB734 (I think that's the one... all matte black).

18. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    1994 Fender MB-5
    1968 Fender Precision (flats with a mute)
    1988 Fender Precision MIJ (roundwounds... also my first bass brand new when I was 13)
    2019 Gibson Les Paul DC Jr Tribute Bass
    2013 Jazz Bass (a mutt with a squier body, epoxied warmoth neck, duncan antiquity pickus)
    2015 Rybski 5 string (custom made for me)
    2019 Fender Rarities Jazz Bass (flamed plasma-burst/ebony fretboard... LOVE this bass)

instrumentalist likes this.
  19. Well, I was wrong about the next bass. The fretless wasn't as impressive as before but I looked at a Fender Player Precision that had been on the rack for the past year. Instant bond. And yeah, it came home with me.
    20210626_140335.jpg
    Here is the Fender Precision and the Squier five string Modified Jazz I got the other week or so ago.
    20210626_140417.jpg

Green Hornet and PizzaFiend like this.
  20. Only 3:
    1964 Fender [Passive] P-Bass (Hybrid with a complete [Passive] J-Bass Pick-Ups' circuit & controls in it)
    BN514 Yamaha 5-string
    2006 Fender [Active] P-Bass
    (Hopefully it's how well I play that would impress others, not what I'm playing on.)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021