How many basses do you own? (Currently) Part 2

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Jan 23, 2013.

1. 1

801 vote(s)
    9.7%
  2. 2

1,352 vote(s)
    16.4%
  3. 3

1,395 vote(s)
    17.0%
  4. 4

1,151 vote(s)
    14.0%
  5. 5 to 9

2,439 vote(s)
    29.7%
  6. 10 to 20

801 vote(s)
    9.7%
  7. 21 +

208 vote(s)
    2.5%
  8. Too many to count

72 vote(s)
    0.9%
  1. I am at 5
    2019 fender American performer p lake placid blue
    2015 fender American deluxe natural
    2012 Gibson sg heritage cherry
    2013 Gibson midtown black
    2018 fender mij midnight 60’s p black

Clipped likes this.
  2. So # 23 delivery is tomorrow :)

lowdownthump likes this.
  3. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Sire V3-5
    Squier Classic Vibe 60’s Precision
    Ernie Ball MusicMan Caprice
    Fender US Geddy Lee Jazz
    Carvin SB5000
    = 5

LeFunk Machine and Outtaseezun like this.
  4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Since I am downsizing, we own the same number now. The Squier Contemporary, SX, Peavey Forum AX, and the Glarry are gone or will be very soon. That leaves me with:

Carvin SB5000
    Fender US Geddy Lee Jazz
    Music Man USA SUB Sterling
    SBMM Stingray 5
    Yamaha fretless with EMG pickup

This whole summer GAS episode made me realize that I seriously do not want tons of stuff. If anything, I could let one more bass go.

lowdownthump likes this.
  5. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Well technically the Sire is my husbands . But he hardly ever touches the thing. :rolleyes:

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Oh well, claim squatter’s rights since he never used it!:D

lowdownthump likes this.
  7. Merlo79

Merlo79

Feb 14, 2014
    Currently 4
    #1 custom Jazz
    #2 Fender Adam Clayton Jazz
    #3 Limelight Jazz
    #4 Limelight Precision

Outtaseezun likes this.
  8. Just added a five string to my herd,

Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass 5 string.
    Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass 4 string
    Squier Vintage Modified Precision 4 string pj
    Squier Classic Vibe Jazz Bass 4 string
    Epiphone EBO

I played a Squier CV 60s Jazz frettless bass and kinda sorta fell in love with it. Hmmmm, could be number six...

Lebowitz likes this.
  9. I've heard good things about the Sire's, but never played on one nor do I have access to try. As in neck feel, weight and such, any similarities to the other major brands? I mostly play on Ibanez SR and Warrick, but have had tons of other brands in the past. Any info will be appreciated!

10. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Sire is sound is most similar to Sadowsky or Fender Deluxe/ Elite. Nit as refined as Sadowsky. Not as warm as Fender. I actually find the Sire Preamp can sound somewhat congested. The bass is huge as in massive. A little goes along way. Passive they sound like a Fender.
    Feel wise, the necks can be somewhat chunky and the body weight can be heavy. Fit an finish is good. Not boutique level but Fender level.

My experience has been limited to their Jazz bass models . I prefer the 3 series over the higher end because of the neck feel . It’s thinner. Closer to Sadowsky and Carvin .
    I also like the mahogany body and rosewood fingerboard. Edges are rolled and pickups are nice and clear. Classic single coil goodness . The tuners could be upgraded . The ones on my Classic Vibe 60’s PBass are better. Other than that no complaints Ive owned a V7 Vintage and this V3-5.

Outtaseezun and Lebowitz like this.
  11. I think they are great once ya put quality electronics on them, but they are good out of the box.

The VM jazz has 62 originals on it since the bridge pick up is close to original jazz measurements, nice mellow bass that can give ya JPJ's sound as wwll as Noel Redding, etc. The 74 CV jazz has 74 vintage pups since the bridge pup is 1/2" closer to the bridge, it can produce the Seinfeld blurp as well as "Knife Edge" by ELP. That bass rocks.

The VM Precision is a pj that had a ceramic pup which was ok but out of phase with the split coil and kinda anemic. Took a Duncan Designed bridge puo and replace the ceramic with it, not in phase and rocks like a precision should.

The 5er will get the same treatment.

Playability wise, they are right on. Prrecision neck is the 1 5/8" type which my arthritic hands enjoy. The jazzes are 1 1/2". My hands like them both. For some reason the 5er feels awesome and plays great.
    @GodPlayedBass has an Affinity pbass I upgrade to Yosemite pups but a half cap instead of 100.

Heres an Affinity with 62 original pups

Outtaseezun, fretno and Lebowitz like this.
  12. saxybill1

saxybill1 Attorney Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2004
    Virginia
    icefly, Outtaseezun, fretno and 4 others like this.
  13. saxybill1

saxybill1 Attorney Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2004
    Virginia
    gzarruk and Lebowitz like this.
  14. Thanks for the info @lowdownthump and @bass-icly me !

bass-icly me likes this.
  15. Anytime.

I used to own an SRX 300. The neck on the backside is kinda flat, almost like playing a five string flat IMO. The jazz with its C shape gives more wood in your hand than the Ibby. Something I noticed if that helps you.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
  16. TheBass

TheBass

Jul 2, 2004
    Germany
    So the ones on the picture are the ones known to your wife, I guess. ;-)

b_carville, gzarruk, gg22 and 2 others like this.
  17. Parzival

Parzival

Jun 16, 2013
    Alabama
    75B0AB73-A3E5-4A52-9A0D-1FDD318AD7DA.jpeg At four now. Don’t think I’ve ever had more than four, but have changed a lot over the last 5-6 years. Subject to change as I have a unfinished P body I will eventually do something with.

Stable now:

Parts Pbass (Blue and tort)
    Parts Jbass (Sonic blue, tort, matching headstock)
    2020 Ultra Jazz (Ultraburst with added tort)
    2020 Jbass Special (Torino red)

18. marchone

marchone Since 1951 Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2009
    NYC
    Slab, Precision and Jazz.

4NHwMcTl.jpg

19. TheBass

TheBass

Jul 2, 2004
    Germany
    instrumentalist and marchone like this.
  20. marchone

marchone Since 1951 Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2009
    NYC
    The CS Jazz Bass has me spoiled for rolled edges now. I've been playing for a couple hours now. I wasn't sure I'd take to the slimmer neck but I have. The nitro finish is so much nicer than poly.

bass-icly me likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021