How many is too many? Thinning the herd.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GeneralElectric, Jan 24, 2009.

1. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Like the title says.

How many basses do you consider excessive to own?

I currently own 20 basses. I've probably owned more than a hundred so far in my 7/8 years of playing. Probably closer to 130. Its rare that I have so many at one time, but I realized how bad it is that I don't even remember how many I even own.

This issue was currently brought to a head when I posted in the how many basses do you own thread. I said 18. Then I looked at the list in my profile and realized that I was missing one. Then I edited it. Then I realized I had forgotten another one. And edited again.

My basement is full of bass cabs, road cases, rack cases, drum kits, and bass and guitar cases. My dining room has 2 6-space guitar trees. I've got 3 basses hanging in my room. No matter where you go there is piles of music equipment in my house.

For a long time I had a girlfriend who was supportive of me buying lots of junk, though her policy was that I shouldn't have more basses than years I've been playing bass. Therefore I ended up buying and selling a lot of them since I like trying and fooling with new stuff. I also had a habit of doing a ******** of drugs and alcohol and I tended to break, smash, and destroy a lot of stuff.
    Since me and that girl broke up, I eschewed her rule in favor of mine. You shouldn't have more basses than years you've been alive. Thus my collection has grown a lot in the past year or so, though I'm still buying and selling. (Just sold my EB2 for a Fender Jaco)

Before you bring my age into account, realize that no, I'm not a spoiled brat. I moved out of my house, and across the country, at 17. I've paid for nearly every bass and amp I own with my own money that I earned from working. The only exceptions being my Thunderbird, an EB2 I sold, my Ric, and my 71 P which were inherited. My 62 RI was a gift from my folks after having not seen them for 2 years and my first bass (57 RI) that my dad chipped in half of the $400 price tag.
    I don't come from a rich family and I haven't had an allowance since I was 11.
    I don't own much stuff aside from music equipment. (Clothes, kitchen appliances, books, my stereo, and my pickup) 1/4 of my months pay goes towards rent. 1/2 of it is spent on bass equipment. The rest is for food and whatever else.
    My problem is, is that I can't pass up a deal. Or a nice looking P-Bass.:meh:

My problem with GAS has occurred long before I even heard of TB, or even had internet. My current GF has said I've got too much stuff but she really hasn't pressed the issue.

How does one thin down the herd?

2. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    How many do you need? Look what Sir Paul did with two, and many others with one.

How to thin the heard? Ebay, buy stocks with the money while the price is down.

3. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    For the most part I only play my 57 RI Precision. Its the first bass I grab to record and to compose. Its my first bass and the only constant I've had in my ever changing collection. Probably the best sounding bass I own.

Thinking about it, I could sell almost all of my Jazz basses and still be set. I mean, why does someone need 4 fretless Jazz basses? I don't even know why I keep buying this stuff.:meh:

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Keep your one P-bass. Keep a Jazz. Fretless only if you use it. Maybe another bass that isn't like the others. Sell the rest.

Put together a "big" stage rig, and a small stage rig/practice rig. In my case, it's a Berg 212 and a GK 1001RB-II for a big rig, and the small rig is a 400RB-III and a Kolbe 112 for the small rig. Sell the rest. I play guitar as well, so I still have a sizable amount of gear. But I have had to learn to stop the impulse buying of stuff.

5. Hopper

Hopper

Sep 24, 2008
    London
    Five is too many!

I would seriously narrow it down to 4 and I'm sure you'll feel a lot happier. It feels good to get rid of stuff and create some space.

6. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    I'm over JB's too. A while back I got fished in by the burping bridge pickup, but the thrill is gone. I have no use for a JB...nothing against them, but why hang onto something you don't use?

7. Joe Kyle

Joe Kyle

Oct 18, 2008
    Connecticut
    I currently have 3 basses. Listed in order of use.

02 Stingray- dig the tone entirely

Gibson 61 RI SG- Huge cream fan, second on the list as it was my main bass for a long time

SX 5 string- My beater bass for college, one that i dont have to worry as much about getting messed up by my roomates who "play guitar"

If i could, id probably buy a 5 string double buck Bongo while they are being clearanced out, and thats what ill probably do after selling my strat.

8. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    I have one bass. I think 3 is too many, for me.

I would just have a fretted and a fretless version of my dream bass, and i'm done. No, really, I don't suffer from bass GAS much.

9. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I've got 7 Jazzes right now, 4 of the are fretless. I'd probably just keep the Jaco and my 75 RI if push came to shove.

I dunno what else I'd get rid of. I love my P's.:bassist:

10. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    I have 6. My problem is that I like to put together Frankenbasses. 3 of them are made from parts and I keep changing parts on them. My gas is based on constant tweaking:hyper:

1) MTD Grendel 5
    2) Peavey T-40
    3) Epiphone El Capitan 4
    4) Franken Jazz - Geddy Lee Body, Warmoth Jazz neck with maple fretboard and black blocks. Nordstrand MM4.3 in bridge and NJ4 in neck. J-Retro pre, Hipshots and Badass
    5) Franken P - Fender body, Eden Neck, 1994 G&L SB2 Pbass Pickup. Badass.
    6) Franken J-fretless. Douglas 5 string converted to 4. Ash body and maple fretboard. AAA maple pickguard and matching headstock. Epoxy fretboard, Barts and Rothstein switchable control plate.

11. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    deja vu
    this hits home... I had so many basses and guitars at one point that it was crazy.
    it wasn't until I had kids that I started selling stuff off. Right now I just set my own rule that I wont go over 10. If I see something I really like and want to get it, I sell something off. It's good and bad doing it that way..good in that I keep the GAS and such under control but bad in that I'm attached to every bass that I own so whenever I sell something I regret the heck out of it. :help:

12. I have six ) a P, a Sting P, a J, a fretless J, a Jag, an ATK700; it wasn't till my kids had grown that I could afford them.

13. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    Anything you do not play or will ever play again, is unnecessary, in my opinion, HOWEVER, now is not the time to sell anything in these times unless you must have the money.

This is probably the best investment you can own right now next to gold.

Don't sell in a low market or trade for something else you might use.

14. ironrat

ironrat

Sep 24, 2008
    X2

15. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Yeah its a buyers market right now. Unfortunately, it makes me wanna buy even more junk.

Maybe I'll trade it all off to get some cool stuff, but there isn't much I want now.

I'll ask some friends of mine during the week if they wanna buy any of it. I'd probably even do a payment plan on most of them.

Or... I might just sit on it. :meh:

16. Hagelslag

Hagelslag

Dec 19, 2008
    The Netherlands
    Wow dude, I'm about your age and I can only dream of having such a collection as you! It is overkill though, but selling stuff quick might make you regret it later.
    Plus that there's nothing wrong with being a collector, so keep the rarer models.

This offcourse coming from someone who only owns a J-bass knockoff (though a good one)...

17. I have 4 basses now...Standard Fretless Jazz, Hwy 1 Jazz,Ibanez sr506, and an Ibanez sr300 that I use as kindling. If I had my way, Id have a minimum of 300.

18. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

I have 2, and I'm trying to sell one - the Squire VM Fretless. I can do everything with my fretted 5. It isn't the "most appropriate" for jazz but it has great tone so it works...for around here. Not too many jazz snobs.

Eventually I will add an upright - either EUB or "real" - to my "collection" for jazz gigs.

19. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Work 44 hour weekends and you'll have a unwieldy collection too someday.

20. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    Here you have it. First, it is a buyer's market. But even so, if the deals you got on this stuff were so hot in the first place, then a buyer's market should just mean it will take more time to get your investment out. To find out, list a few items for what you paid or a little more. If you can't do this, did you actually pay too much for some of the stuff (GAS does that for you)? Or are you really intent on holding out for a profit? If so, just don't buy anything else, wait the economy out (it sucks, but will eventually improve) and sell when you can take a profit.
    Of course it does. That's how you loaded your house with things that obviously don't have a lot of value for you. I started dumping stuff when I finally made a few mature decisions (I'm 54 and this was last year) about what I really wanted to sound like, what I really liked to play and getting everything that didn't fit that out. Once I did that, the desire to buy stuff got a lot more limited - just to things I might actually use.
    You must be enjoying something about it, or else you wouldn't.
    This is a good idea for reducing numbers of cabs, etc. Sounds like you could do this and getting a cab out of your living room definitely frees up more living space than losing a bass. I keep a big rig and a small rig and enough redundant pieces to keep me running through equipment failures.

Good luck and enjoy the fact that you could have many much worse problems than this. ;)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021