How many is too many? Thinning the herd.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GeneralElectric, Jan 24, 2009.

1. perfektspace6

perfektspace6

May 9, 2006
    USA
    That might be justifiable for a working studio musician but in the OP's case I don't think it applies unless I missed something. I agree it's better than doing drugs but I think the point that many are making is that in this case it's a negative behavior nonetheless.

The OP hasn't rejoined the thread for awhile so hopefully he hasn't been crushed by his mountain of unused basses.

2. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Not a working studio musician. I'm an active one, but the only recording work I do now is hip hop/neo R&B for a production company. And I still just use a P-Bass with flats.

I had decided to sell off most of my basses in favor of some tube amps. :) (made another thread if you wanna see my choices)

3. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    I have too many, with no intention of selling any of them. None of them are particularly expensive, rare or amazing, but I'm emotionally attached to every single one of them. The only ones not worth keeping around are the ones you don't play.

4. Projectile

Projectile

Feb 5, 2009
    You have a problem. Get therapy. STOP buying more gear. You don't need it.

5. Impostor

Impostor

Sep 29, 2008
    Why some, not one?

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I like to keep it to 3. That is usually the most I can justify owning. I have 2 fretteds with different tones (passive, active) and I have a fretless. One could say, 'get another fretless for a different tone' but i play fretless so rarely that it does not matter. It is just something I have around for fun when I need something different.

Sure I lust after basses all the time, but lack of funds and justification keeps me from buying them.

7. mattsbass

mattsbass

Aug 12, 2008
    I have 5 and I think I have too many.

I am thinning it out to 2.

8. skreehaw

skreehaw

Mar 2, 2006
    you can never have toomany basses:D

9. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Errr... I meant one... honest...

With the way my search and sales are going, I'll have about $3300 by the end of it.

I could get an Verrelin (sp?) and another bass head as well.

10. Impostor

Impostor

Sep 29, 2008
    Well, that's a good sign then :)

11. Taxxorrak

Taxxorrak

Feb 7, 2009
    Norway.
    I think 5 would be a good number; one J-bass, one P-bass, one 5-string, one fretless and one hybrid of some sorts. That would be pretty perfect, really. Someday .. :smug: