1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How many TOTAL basses have you owned?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Warpeg, Apr 21, 2021.

1. 1

2. 2

3. 3

4. 4

5. 5

6. 6-10

7. 11-15

8. 16-20

9. 21-30

10. 31-40

11. 41-50

12. 51+

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    I'm a bit weird. I keep a spreadsheet that details every bass that I've ever owned. This list covers about 30 years. My 72nd bass was entered onto the sheet recently. Of course, through the three decades' worth of buying, selling, and trading; I have nowhere near that many basses currently (Actually, I have just four). But, it got me wondering, "what is the average total number of basses that my Talkbass brethren have owned over their lives?" Well, what say you?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I currently have an uncountable number. and sold 3, so the total is "uncountable plus 3". :p

lomo, pfern, Danny C and 14 others like this.
  3. 10 over the years. 4 of them new and the rest used.

4. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Eight, only two of which were purchased new: my first electric bass and my double bass. I no longer have either of them.

Holdsg likes this.
  5. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    I’m not completely sure. There are some Ive seen in pictures that I don’t even remember.

lomo, Doug P, dasherf17 and 13 others like this.
  6. Jorgebassguy

Jorgebassguy Ray and Ric lover

Nov 7, 2020
    N.M.
    It was my first bass that i used for a year then I bought my second one it is a stingray and I love it so much im not even trying to get another one

key word “trying”

dasherf17 and Killing Floor like this.
  7. Currently have 4 and have sold 4 others. I'm still figuring out exactly what I like so everything gets purchased used and so far I haven't lost a dime on any of the basses I decided weren't for me.

Roger W likes this.
  8. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    I stopped counting at 90. I currently own six. Just about most of them were used, some I'd see in garage sales and I would often pick up ones that I was curious about or ones that were way underpriced, if I liked it I would keep it , if not re-sell or trade it. I live in a small community so like to think I've added to the pool of used bass guitars we have floating around here, I even recognize some I see on local ads.
    I kept a bass fund, all started from a $50 gift certificate and kept buying/selling/trading.

9. jdaunt

jdaunt Supporting Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Grand Blanc, MI
    I’m at 10, but am tempted by a couple currently in the Classifieds to raise that number to 11. All but two of them i bought new, my first one back when I was toying with the idea of switching from g**tar, and an Epi Thunderbird. I currently have 4, but hardly ever play the TBird and don’t even have strings on the TMB100 that i pulled the frets off last summer, so really only count my Tony Franklin and fretless Player Jazz.

10. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    I would have to count; it's dozens. As a follow-up, are you going to ask how many basses in pieces we have owned?

avi, mikewalker, kodiakblair and 2 others like this.
  11. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Just made a list. Currently on 22 and number 23 is scheduled to arrive in about a month.

12. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

Every bass I’ve owned I still have.

So for me this is a repeat of this thread How many basses do you own? (Currently) Part 2

Do we really need another one or is this just a tad different since it includes those that others used to have too?

As of today’s afternoon delivery from UPS: 99

BLYN likes this.
  13. I currently own 4 Yamahas.
    But I've had something like 50.

Rottie Roo Roo likes this.
  14. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Nine years...35 basses or more.
    Did a lot of buy, try, goodbye during the first seven years or so.
    Own nine right now.

15. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    14 total methinks since 1979. Peaked at either 5 or 6, now trying to get it down to two.

MYLOWFREQ likes this.
  16. gpTron

gpTron

Dec 15, 2020
    NJ
    4. 3 are at my house (Warwick Thumb 5, Ric 4003, Fender Jazz 5) and 1 is at my mom's (Ibanez Gio)

HELLonWHEELS likes this.
  17. WillyWonka

WillyWonka I "heart" pointy headstocks Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2019

_Obra_, Nobis17 and el murdoque like this.
  18. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    A couple dozen. 3/4th's of them have been donated - my music career started with a violin my parents bought for me, and one that the neighbors gave me. Part of what I do is pay the world back for that head start I got.

Roger W likes this.
  19. J_Bass

J_Bass

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    Not counting the DB, I now have 6 basses.

The most I had at the same time was 7.

I have owned 12 basses, total.

20. Sushi Box FX

Sushi Box FX Supporting Member Commercial User

May 23, 2020
    Chicagoland, USA
    Sushi Box FX, owner
    Basses that I purchased with the intention of keeping/playing for any period of time: 5

Basses that I purchased with the express intention of flipping: no idea

ajkula66 likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021