1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How much would this cost?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by 11Bravo, Apr 29, 2006.

1. 11Bravo

11Bravo In That Pocket

Feb 4, 2005
    Oklahoma
    I have a old p bass body my dad gave me.Its a 4 string though.I was wondering about how much it would cost to route the neck pocket to fit a 5 string neck and a single or double bartolini P45CBC pickup slot on the bridge and maybe the neck of the bass?Can you guys help me out?
    Thank

2. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    the cost of buying a router and some bits.

3. 11Bravo

11Bravo In That Pocket

Feb 4, 2005
    Oklahoma
    Well my dad has a router and I just dont want to mess things us.you know?

4. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    research? i myself have started like 50 threads about routers (ok... slightly exagerated) that you should look through. get some mdf for a template. cut out your template. make the template as perfect as possible so it will make less work on the actual body. you'll want to use some flush trim bits to cut out the actual body. and it needs to be a plunge router too.

like i said... do more research. projectguitar.com has a lot of stuff, and look through build sites that you find.

5. a narrow 5-string might fit in without routing...

6. petie-b

petie-b

Aug 24, 2005
    orlando, florida
    you can buy necks that have a 5 string fretboard with a 4 string heel to bolt directly on to a 4 string body.

http://www.zollaguitars.com/

If you already have a 5 string neck you could use a router and get the same results, without cutting the body up.

7. Nomad98

Nomad98

Dec 13, 2005
    Minneapolis
    Hello!!!!... the real reply should be, "is it a real Fender body?" If so don't ruin it with some crazy mods that someday you will regret!

If it's not a Fender body... hack it to pieces!