Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how much?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by beans, Sep 27, 2004.

1. beans

beans

Sep 27, 2004
    hi, about how much would it cost to restore an old gibson eb bass?...and are there any places in southern california that can do this? thanks

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    That's a really broad question to ask, especially when you don't mention what's wrong with the instrument in the first place. Restoration could be anything from polishing the finish and cleaning the electronics to replacing replacing all components.

I hear Norm's Guitars is a pretty good place to take vintage stuff. Even if he doesn't do repairs, I'm sure he could direct you to someone who does, although it would not be cheap.

3. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    you can give it to me an i will restore it. it would take say 4-5 years and it might not be perfect when it gets back... ;)

4. beans

beans

Sep 27, 2004
    basically i want to get something like this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=64402&item=3750868127&rd=1 ...and replace all the the electronics and restore it cosmetically

5. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    From the product description, that particular bass has a broken truss rod. You could easily sink a couple hundred bucks for that alone and still not have a playable instrument. You could spend hundreds more and have a workable instrument, but its resale value would be lower than a stock instrument because it would no longer be all original (70s models aren't exactly collector's items anyway). Of course, that's not a problem if you'll keep the bass for the rest of your life.

I've seen those basses go for around $1000. I'd keep my eyes peeled for one of those.

FYI, those basses have short scales. If you want a Gibson, consider the Ripper.

6. beans

beans

Sep 27, 2004
  7. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Well, it's the same thing, isn't it?

The EB-0 is a short scale bass. Nothing wrong with that if that's what you're looking for.

More gibson info here.