1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How to achieve growly, zingy tone?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by cheezmasta, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Can anybody help me get a metal-ish tone?
    I'm after a gritty, growling overdrive sound without fuzz, just plenty of aggressive sustain.
    I want to retain the low end and punchy mids, and add sparkly highs without them being harsh.
    Like these:

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get this kind of tone!
    I've previously tried a Bass Big Muff, a ODB3, as well as a MT2 guitar pedal. I also have an envelope filter, if that's useful at all, please let me know.
    I play a Jazz tuned BEAD through an Ampeg SVT CL and a matching 4x10 cab.
    Any help is much appreciated!:)

2. SoLongJake

SoLongJake Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2007
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Play with a pick, use mostly the bridge pickup and crank your svt to 11. Sound achieved.

3. Lower that action! You should be able to get enough grit from your SVT to work for you, but adding a Phat Phuk B never hurt anyone.

4. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    growl = mids
    zingy = treble

5. HunterBurgan4Me

HunterBurgan4Me

Mar 6, 2010
    i'd reccommend boosting some high mids and if your ampeg isn't doing the growl for you get yourself a B3K darkglass.

6. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods!

Matching 410 huh......an HLF possibly? That muddy cabinet is dragging your sound down and not a good match for a CL. Trade her in for 2 x 410HE....or 810.

7. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    He's already playing half of an 810, no?

Crank the SVT or put a pedal in front of it. I use a VT.

8. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods!

9. You could probably achieve this sound with the SVT alone but not unless you are running it hard enough. You might need the help of a pedal. The SansAmp pedals, BDDI, ParaDriver, RBI will all add the extra agressive tone without the need to blow out the walls with cranking the SVT.

Definitely boost your mids and presence to accentuate the overdrive of the amp.

10. evanoverdrive

evanoverdrive https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dBuenRxMCg Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Im no expert, but i was having the same problem.Brand new roundwound strings sounded exactly how i wanted.Zingy,grindy,but i would lose the sound after about a day of playing and would be twisting the presence knob,treble knob,ect.And it didnt help that my 1001rb 2 didnt open up untill i had it cranked louder than i really needed it to be.I finally broke down and got a Darkglass B3K. I can now get a really great driven sound at lower volume and i can keep the bright zingy sound by engaging the ATTACK switch on the pedaland keeping the blend around 1 or 2 and the drive down around 8 or 9.Its not a fuzzy overdrive sound,just an aggressive bright grindy tone.I just kept the same strings on for three months as opposed to a week.I justify the price of the pedal by what im saving in strings..lol

11. bringitlow

bringitlow

Jun 19, 2009
    San Diego
    The sansamp bass driver with the presence and treble boosted + generous drive will get that sound, from my experience.

12. Mind you, I am not a metal player by any stretch but I was able to achieve this by using the preset from the Sansamp manual for the Bass driver called "Crimson". It's pretty convincing and if tweaked would get closer. I used that first track you posted as a reference since the bass was pretty clear up front. Someone that knows how to play metal should be able to get the right sound with the Tech21 BDDI.

I have to say that BK3 pedal, and even the BK7, look and sound pretty sweat. That new Vintage pedal coming out this year is also pretty sweat sounding. Metal players seem to be gravitating towards those 2 pedals so check them out.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  13. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
    You could pick up a GK700RB.

14. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Sounds to me that a sansamp pedal can easily give you that sound. most likely a sansamp gt-2.

15. Wow, great advice so far, thanks! Especially appreciative of taking the trouble to record yourself too!
    I'm a little confused about the speakers, but I'll definitely be checking out some of those pedals.

16. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    Hardwire cm2 tube od
    :)

17. Chipit

Chipit

Dec 7, 2011
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Thats the definition of a Spector. A Jazz is nice, but it's only going to get you just so much growl. Get your hands on a Euro strung up with nickle rounds. Come to think of it, just play any Spector and you'll see.
    You can thank me later.

18. You can customize a J bass to have plenty of aggression, too. Last I heard, Geddy wasn't having too much trouble with his.

Spectors sound good too, tho. I don't know about "zing", but my Ric has old SS roundwounds on it, and it has a treble bite I have not heard in many active basses. It's a very harsh high-end that I love while providing plenty of bottom.

I bet a B3K or a Rusty Box would give you all the top-end aggression you desire on that J bass though....with no other mods except SS roundwounds:)

19. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    B3K is way too thin IMO to get that tone. That sounds more like a Stingray or a Rick tone with an overdriven amp. A B7K on the other hand could get closer. If you're going to go the pedal route, I'd look at a pedal like the Okko Basstard or one of the Swell pedals. Sounds more like that tone than the Darkglass.

20. Big Brother

Big Brother

Feb 13, 2011
    San Diego
    Roving sub-demon
    I was frustrated for a long time with tone and tried several basses, amps and pedals to get it.

I finally got the growl I wanted and then some with a set of TI Flats. Try some different types of strings if you can and see what they do for you.

A Sansamp helped a little too with that sound as did a VT and a BBE Sonic Stomp for clarity, but it was the strings that finally made the real difference.