Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How to bounce on this old 4-trk?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by thwackless, Apr 30, 2005.

1. thwackless

thwackless

Nov 24, 2003
    Smithfield, RI
    Hey,

I have an old Yamaha MT-1X 4-trk cassette recorder. It's a good old box: I can record (you could, too! :p ) 4 tracks simultaneously, and it's got sync-outs, stereo and discrete outs, and Aux Send/Return (stereo). Normal-speed, with a pitch slider.

1/4" Ins, RCA outs (except for the Aux Send/Returns, which are 1/4").

I have not yet figured out how to bounce tracks with it! :confused: I've included some pix of the face of the thing in the links below, if anyone's interested. I'm trying to use it in the living room of my house, so I don't have to be holed-up in my basement studio, like a troll... it would be more fun to relax and make some music in the living environment once in a while.

So anyone know how to use this thing? Thanks for your time!

www.stoneandplank.com/rog/Living-Room-Setup.jpg

www.stoneandplank.com/rog/MT1X-Channel-Strips.jpg

www.stoneandplank.com/rog/MT1X-Master-Section-better.jpg

www.stoneandplank.com/rog/MT1X-Meters-&-EQ.jpg

www.stoneandplank.com/rog/MT1X-Monitor-Section.jpg

2. I used to have the same 4-track. I sold it on ebay "as is" a few years ago after it stopped recording on one of the tracks. I may have to find another one. It made great recordings.

Try this:
    On the tracks you want to bounce from:
    - Set the "Tape-Off-Mic Line" switch (next to the track voulme slider) to "Tape"
    - In the "REC" group of four switches (at the top,in the middle), set the "L-OFF-1(or 2,3,4) switch for each "bounce from" track to "OFF"

On the track that you want to bounce to:
    - Set the "Tape-Off-Mic Line" switch (next to the track voulme slider) to "Mic Line"
    - In the "REC" group of four switches, set the "L-OFF-1 (or 2 or 3 or 4) switch to 1 (or 2 or 3 or 4)

For example, if you want to bounce tracks 1, 2 and 3 to track 4:
    Set tracks 1,2,3 to "Tape-Off-Mic Line" switch to "Tape"
    Set tracks 1,2,3 "REC" switch to "OFF"
    Set track 4 "Tape-Off-Mic Line" switch to "Mic Line"
    Set track 4 "REC" switch to "4"
    Press the Play and Record buttons

Let me know if that works. I never did alot of track bouncing and what little I did was 10+ years ago so my recollection is
    a little shaky on this.

Good luck.

3. thwackless

thwackless

Nov 24, 2003
    Smithfield, RI
    That sounds like the same procedure I tried- but I'll go back over it and see- I've printed your reply so I can't screw up, or sit there scratching my head (gettng tired of doing that!).

Thanks, Wig- I'll let you know what happens.

Heh... I can't seem to get track three to play back what I've recorded, suddenly. Our guitar player had it on his side of the stage the other night, and since then it's no playback from #3. Is it possible he had the signal-in too hot (from the monitor-out of the PA head), and it toasted something?

I ran it into Cool Edit at home after the gig, and had to flip the tape over, record the 'missing' track backwards into the software, then Reverse it in the Edit window. It came out with a Phase issue... but I think that's because of the way the mics were set up.

It does seem otherwise to be a pretty good machine.

Talk to ye, thanks again.

4. thwackless

thwackless

Nov 24, 2003
    Smithfield, RI
    Aha! I wonder if playing the tape backwards incurred interference from stray signal on the tape?

I mean: My friend recorded 4 tracks on side A of the cassette. It ran out, so he turned the tape over, and recorded on the "other side" of the cassette. :eyebrow: Right... so maybe there's stray signal on the tape that surfaced when I played it from the other "side"?

Cassette tape is, after all, not the most efficient way to isolate a signal from adjacent tracks. Anyway, yeah, just thinking out loud.

5. thwackless

thwackless

Nov 24, 2003
    Smithfield, RI
    Hey, thanks very much for the link! I'm printing it out now... :hyper: this is great. I feel like someone just handed me my hat in a rainstorm! :p

I'll keep you posted with what I find out about this. And have you looked on ebay for one of these? I got this thing in trade for a backdrop I'd painted for a tribute band that broke up (I was in it!); so there must be another one around...

I'll give a shout if I find one, I'm on ebay sometimes, looking for mics and such. If I decide to sell this one, I'll let you know.

Peace, Wig, and thanks again!

6. thwackless

thwackless

Nov 24, 2003
    Smithfield, RI
    Indeed, it bounces! Yep, I printed out the manual here at the library, and took it home and tried it. Rockin'. I'm now thinking of sending it in to Yamaha to have it re-furbished, if it's not going to cost an arm and a leg...

Thanks again, Wigtone, for the help.

7. Hey, no problem. I'm glad I could help. I think I will keep an eye out on ebay for an MT1X. I am kind of nostalgic for one now!

8. thwackless

thwackless

Nov 24, 2003
    Smithfield, RI
    Well, I tell ye, this thing only runs at normal speed, and you'll get better signal on it at a higher tape speed. There are several models after this one that might offer that- the MT3X, -4X, etc. And I'd bet they're just as flexible as this one. Dunno, though.

Good hunting!