How to choose the right mixing/mastering engineer

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by dnp41, Oct 31, 2018.

1. dnp41

dnp41

May 10, 2016
    Netherlands
    Hi guys,

In the process of writing our first EP. While I'm confident enough to record it myself, I'm not confident enough to mix or master the tracks. When looking at online services like airgigs or soundbetter the number of guys to choose from is overwhelming. How do you pick the right one? Is it common practice to send your recordings and ask for a demo mix of a chorus? Any other tips?

2. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Find existing albums that you like the sound of. Look to see who mixed and mastered those albums. Contact those guys.
    Bonus points if several of the albums you like are mixed or mastered by the same guy!

3. Yeah, there are tons of people out there, willing to do it for relatively cheap. Other than looking through the past works of potential engineers, maybe try to find out who engineered other bands that you like the sound of - or reach out to local bands to see who they work with.

4. MycooLeeyun

MycooLeeyun

Sep 26, 2009
    Sedona, AZ
    I've experimented with quite a few engineers. Some from soundbetter, some from word of mouth. I can refer you to a couple. Even better if you send me a sample of your music and I can tell you who I'd recommend from my experience with these guys. Also, what is your budget?