1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How to get growl from my bass?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Kylemcgregor96, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Kylemcgregor96

Kylemcgregor96

Aug 8, 2012
    Glasgow
    I own a fender Mark hoppus P-Bass and i want some growl from my bass which i can't seem to find, i own an ashdown five fifteen mini stack 2x10" and i've tried every EQ..

Is there any pedals or strings i can buy? Maybe it's just the strings i got with the bass.

I'd love the famous p bass growl

2. recreate.me

recreate.me

Apr 2, 2010
    Ontario
    hrmm... I always thought Jazz basses had more (of what i think of when i hear it) 'growl'. Maybe try a nickle-steel string ? and boost the EQ a bit around 400-600hz

3. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

DiMarzio Model P pickup, roundwound strings = lots of growl.

4. Agree. I have an old German Warwick and the 'growl' can be changed by just changing the strings. My current set (which has a lot of growl) has round-wounds, and the B and E are tapered. Start with the EQ flat on both the bass and the amp. Write down any settings that sound good.

5. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 GAS resistance is utterly futile... Supporting Member

eh.... doesn't the MXR Bass Octave Deluxe have a growl knob ?

:)

On a more serious note, +1 on the previous postings relating to strings.

6. TomA1234

TomA1234

Jul 27, 2009
    Fareham, England
    Does that ashdown amp have the sub-octave control? If so, add some of that in.

7. João Bourgard

João Bourgard

Jan 21, 2010
    i get a good growl when i use a pick (yes a pick, for the attack that a pick gives) and boost the mid frquencies while lowering all the treble and half the bass....

But that might just be for my setup....

8. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Put a Neo Punch pickup in it. Hey I just happen to have one on the shelf here in my studio that was a new take off from a Lakland! It needs a new home.

9. Corevalay

Corevalay Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    New Jersey
    I've got a MIA Jazz Deluxe and another bass player came up to me between sets the other night just to let me know how much growl and attack the bass had. He loved it! Usually I use a Stingray, but he definitely noticed the difference with the Fender. Told me it was my perfect sound. I was happy :)

My point being a P-Bass isn't exactly made for growl, is it? It's more a sit perfect in the mix and sound great type bass.

10. u84six

u84six Nobody panic, the bass player is here! Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2006
    US
    The strings you use make a huge difference. Go to the strings forum and search around. This topic is discussed a lot on that forum.

11. ^this should help, but what you really need is wolverine blood. Rub it into the fingerboard for moar growl. ;)

12. BassMonstrum

BassMonstrum

Mar 7, 2008
    Wolverine blood FTW!

13. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    +1

ROTF!!!

14. What's funny? I'm serious! It's like you've impregnated your finger board with a ferocious beast of mythical majesty! Don't knock it till you've tried it!

;)

15. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    Don't feed it. :bag:

16. DoobieBrother

DoobieBrother

Feb 27, 2011
    Salem, OR
    I tried wolverine blood on my fretboard once, and everytime I plucked a string it went "SNIKT!"
    :ninja:

17. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    A little distortion and boost some mids

18. Never thought P basses were great sources for growl.... Jazzes on the other hand.... all day baby, as long as you EQ them right.... I've got a Charvel that I rigged with Seymour Duncan Music Man's that sucker SCREAMS and will cut through ANY mix. Easiest way to put it into words is like a Jazz Bass sound on steroids (2 humbuckers essentially = 4 single coils vs 2 on a J), and to me, MM's have the best growl for most stuff and that's kinda why I put them in there.... but Jazzes have a certain tone you can't beat as well and sometimes the MM sound is a little overkill for certain things.... Your bass being a P bass it'll be a little trickier since it's not a PJ you're isolated to one spot to get all of your tone out of your instrument from... Most of the "growl" you'll hear is the bridge pickup brought into the sound in addition to the neck pickup for its treble... The bridge pickup is where you'll get most of your growl from and blending that and the neck together is key for a good growly tone... That's not saying you can't get a great sound out of what you've got, it's just trickier... Biggest thing I could tell you is keep the Volume and Tone knobs up full on the bass.

+1 to the guys who said new pickups (DiMarzio's) and it's in the Mid's.... Typically you'll want the Mid knob around 1 o' clock to start off with... if your amp has Lo and Hi Mid's you can experiment with more.... If nothing else try a Tech 21 VT Bass or Bass Driver pedal and maybe something like a BOSS GEB-7 EQ pedal while you're at it.... It's in the Mid's like the guys above me said.... Good luck bud,

aXe

19. Pluck hard nearer the bridge than the pickup. Boost some mids. Growl away.

20. Duckwater

Duckwater

May 10, 2010
    USA, Washington
    You won't get most people's definition of growl from just a P pickup, you can get plenty of bite, snarl, bark, grind, etc out of it though. Every bass is different, try playing with your right hand in different areas and see how it sounds. Having a mid-present sound is very important as well.