1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to Install Lace Alumitone Bassbars?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Ahzidal Engineer, Jun 20, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Ahzidal Engineer

Ahzidal Engineer

Jan 6, 2015
    I'm building a bass from scratch and I'm getting close to the finish line. As this is my first bass, I've never installed/drilled/routed pickup cavities before. The pickups I'm using are Lace Alumitone Bassbars. I don't know how familiar the bass world is with these, but they're very unique. they're very thin and have almost no depth (I've attached some photos) I've done a bunch of research, but I can't seem to find anywhere how to install these particular type of pickups. Do I just route out normal pickup cavities or do is there a special way to do these because of their bizarre design? Does anybody have any experience with them that could lend me some info?
    Thanks

Attached Files:

• 07.JPG
      07.JPG
      File size:
      1 MB
      Views:
    • 08.JPG
      08.JPG
      File size:
      1.3 MB
      Views:
    JRA_BaSsNiNjA likes this.
  2. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    Route normal cavities, like you would for an EMG 35/40/45 series.

JRA_BaSsNiNjA likes this.
  3. Ahzidal Engineer

Ahzidal Engineer

Jan 6, 2015
    Oh, it's as easy as that. Great! thanks HaMMerHeD

4. While @HaMMerHeD is correct, I didn't like how you could see the space under the pickup if you routed a regular hole. I routed for just the legs and some space for the wires. You can see what I did in post #92 in this thread: New Build - Five String single cutaway fretless. In retrospect I should have put the route for the wires on the bass side of the pickup, but it worked out fine. Incidentally one of my pickups was wired or marked backwards, so when I was running both pickups it sounded terrible (they were canceling each other out). Just something to look out for as you get them installed and working.

Ahzidal Engineer likes this.
  5. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    I made my routs slightly undersized, so the lip of the pickups actually sat above and slightly outside the rout. I thought it looked better that way.

4uci6h.jpg

11t07pf.jpg

24100pl.jpg

6. Ahzidal Engineer

Ahzidal Engineer

Jan 6, 2015
    Wow, that looks really nice. I think I'm gonna do that method. Thanks!

Jisch likes this.
  7. tjclem

tjclem Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    The reason I did the standard EMG route is because the customer may want to try other pickups. If you do the smaller route they are stuck. Small route does look cool though.

JRA_BaSsNiNjA and Jisch like this.
  8. Ahzidal Engineer

Ahzidal Engineer

Jan 6, 2015
    Hey, Jisch, did you still put the foam in under the pickup legs on your route?

9. Yes, I put foam under the legs.

10. Ahzidal Engineer

Ahzidal Engineer

Jan 6, 2015
    Awesome! Thanks!

11. Very nice! I love the Lace Bass Bars..I threw em in my four and five stringers.

Ahzidal Engineer and mapleglo like this.
  12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 23, 2021