1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How to make silks look good for ever.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Lowactnsatsfctn, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Spray them with Plasti-dip spray that has been sitting in the garage for a year, let dry, enjoy. Even swap them on other Basses with out fraying. There is a downside though, it makes them Black:D

A D'addarrio Chrome Flatwound, normally Blue threads
    IMG-20130305-00444.

Black matches my Bass, but it is available in other colors

2. Awesome, I've wondered about this ever since I began using rotosounds.

Thank you

3. billgwx

billgwx

Apr 10, 2009
    Centereach NY
    Frayed silk == mojo :)

I don't fret too much about it--if the silks get too frayed I just trim them back with some scissors.

4. I burn off the stray fuzzies with a lighter.

5. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Eh!
    When the spray dries, are there any cracks when you wind them onto the tuner?

6. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    I would think that any light poly clear coat would work just fine.

Alternatively, clear nail polish could work.

7. fbny71

fbny71 Supporting Member

May 28, 2010
    West Hempstead, NY
    I've used super glue...couple of drops between my thumb and index finger then just twist the silked end through quickly.

As an added bonus you get fake callouses!

8. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    Sound good first. I don't think this is the kind of issue the 'greats' have ever worried about.

9. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

Wouldn't some hair spray do the trick??

Lowactnsatsfctn likes this.
  10. Not that I've noticed with one swap. Im sure it would start to after a while if you swapped them a lot, but probably no worse than the silk would fray.

The main reason I do it, is to change the color. If i did it strictly to secure the threads, I probably would have used some clear poly or shelac spray. There is enough of that stuff here.

As if the post has anything closely related to my sound, technique or experience :eyebrow:

I posted it here, so the "not so greats" (You included) can have access to it and see what some one else has done. Maybe someone will benefit from this, maybe not.

Remember this thread?:eyebrow:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f16/silk-wraps-strings-even-vs-staggered-913176/
    What I posted in this one, is a solution to yours.:D

11. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    You'll have to excuse my crabbiness earlier. I had a fall down some stairs earlier in the week and tried to go last night without the muscle relaxers, hence I did not sleep well at all.

It was one of those parent's worst nightmare moments, falling while carrying your child. I did manage to allow her to fall on me and escape without harm, to her anyhow, though it meant I hit unbraced with an additional 30lbs landing on top of me.

So, a round on me, and here's to getting your bass exactly how you want it.