1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

how to protect the amp from bad voltage?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mr. BassmanPT, May 29, 2012.

1. Mr. BassmanPT

Mr. BassmanPT

Aug 15, 2009
    Europe
    i do not know what i am looking for, hence the question.

thing is, i suspect some places cannot deliver quality current to my amplifier and i want to know if there is some equipment i can buy to protect it, more specifically, the power section.

i am using a mesa boogie titan amplifier and for some reason, the power section is being serviced due to having burned FETs. again. in 2 years, this is the second time i have problems with the power section due to burnt FETs. this means i have already destroyed it 3 times!!!!

the cause might be overheating or over voltage from the reading i am doing on the internet.

here it is:

http://www.richieburnett.co.uk/mosfail.html

this is a quote but the link i provided goes to other details

i believe the problems i have for the second time are due to both quoted topics.

now, what can i buy to prevent FETS from burning due to overvoltage? the overheating problem i will take care myself.

i am already using a Furman but that does not protect the amplifier. Give me some clues here please. rack mount preferred.

regards

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    There is no affordable option with the current capacity to handle an amplifier. Get a volt meter, if the venue voltage tests outside of acceptable tolerance go home.

3. Mr. BassmanPT

Mr. BassmanPT

Aug 15, 2009
    Europe
    but if this continues my amplifier will always be with problems. i have to find a way to regulate voltage.

either that or not play or use another amplifier (as i never had these problems before. this only happens with the titan).

man, i am still in shock with your answer. are you sure it does not exist a solution? (do not take me wrong, i am just very upset with the problems i am having due to crap voltage)

4. The above reply is correct. If the AC power is no good - go home. However, if this is only happening with the Mesa/Boogie something isn’t right with the amp because that shouldn’t happen with only the Mesa and not your other amps - I’d contact Mesa-Boogie.

5. Mr. BassmanPT

Mr. BassmanPT

Aug 15, 2009
    Europe
    i did.

my amp is one of the earlier models and overheating is also a problem. i have asked for the mods but apparently, it is up to the technician to decide if the mods will be installed or not. anyway, i am already planning to drill the lid all over the place to help remove heat.

but i also would like to make sure the voltage i am getting is safe.

i am looking at voltage regulators right now and i see both of you are correct. it is not an easy solution. i hope bill is not angry with me because i was not questioning him, i am just very angry because i really like the titan and want to find a solution at all costs.

i just want to keep the amplifier safe because i bet it is having problems due to both overheating and over voltage. heat is easy solution, i already have a 2u cooling system with 4 fans, just have to drill the holes (if the tech guy decides not to upgrade my titan).

the voltage is a problem though.

6. Mr. BassmanPT

Mr. BassmanPT

Aug 15, 2009
    Europe
    what about a UPS?

7. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
  8. Mr. BassmanPT

Mr. BassmanPT

Aug 15, 2009
    Europe
    man, i should have bought one of those. i bought a furman pl pro dmc e power conditioner instead.

i hope it goes beyond 120V as i am in europe so 220v for us :)

thomann does not have those models. will try to see if i can find one. the 20 amp seems what i need as i have to feed the titan and some more stuff.

thanks

9. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

For the overheating - don't forget that you can buy a whisper fan and mount it to the outside of your amp to push air through. Granted it will be a wart on the side.

You could also just bring a small clamp-on fan and point it into the amp.

10. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    this is the only one that suits your need for 220V and it's 30 amps but also VERY pricey ($3299 euros!) and weighs a TON (26kg / 57.2lbs!). IMO, that's just NOT worth it.:

http://www.posthorn.com/Furman_p6900ar.html

11. Mr. BassmanPT

Mr. BassmanPT

Aug 15, 2009
    Europe
    yes, just saw a video about it on youtube

so expensive.

12. krstko

krstko

Aug 29, 2011
    Cerknica, Slovenia
    If you have that much money, you should just buy a new amp and problems are solved (a new Ampeg tube amp with 810 costs that much or even less xD)

13. Mr. BassmanPT

Mr. BassmanPT

Aug 15, 2009
    Europe
    but when i plug the ampeg to those crap wall sockets, the voltage will mess it up like my mesa is at the moment. will be in the same place i am with the mesa. amp less.

i am seriously considering this regulator. but it is not an easy decision. so much money.

14. I seem to remember a thread about this amp where the mountings for the MOSFETs loosened. This impaired the device to sink thermal connectivity allowing the devices to overheat. There is no reason that this problem should not have been remedied.

15. Get a voltage tester, they are cheap. If the voltage is bad, walk.

16. +1

FURMAN AR-1215 is the way to go. If you play backyards, dives, friends houses, etc... you can't be sure they aren't running air conditioners, blow driers, microwaves and the like on the same circuit as your amp. This unit will deliver clean voltage with sags and spikes.

17. The bottom line IMO, is that a well designed amplifier made for the working musician SHOULD be able to cope with the normal day to day surges on a power line. The OP is in Europe so there should be an electrical code governing the electrical supply.

18. I completely agree! I never thought it would be an issue either until my ALWAYS reliable 700rbII went out at a buddies house. The tech who fixed it said the damage was due to a spike or sag in power and newer soild state amps are more susceptible to this , I don't know if he's right or not. I had it fixed (on GK-s dime) and two weeks later at a club it happened again. I had it fixed again and now plug into the Furman AR-1215(permanent part of my rack now) and in almost 3 years - no problems!

Just sayin':cool:

19. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Agreed but not all audio gear is that well thought out.
    The old Dolby A racks would stop working at 109 Volts
    The big question is how stable is your low voltage power; often times it will vary

"From 1934 to 2002, Variac was a U.S. trademark of General Radio for a variable autotransformer intended to conveniently vary the output voltage for a steady AC input voltage. In 2004, Instrument Service Equipment applied for and obtained the Variac trademark for the same type of product"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autotransformer

20. Mr. BassmanPT

Mr. BassmanPT

Aug 15, 2009
    Europe
    i do not know if that was what happened.. but it is not working fine so it is repairing at the moment.

but with the regulator, if voltage is bad i can keep playing. or imagine this. you test at the beginning of a gig and voltage is fine.. but during your performance voltage gets affected. the voltimeter is useless and your amp is fried.

but i do not think that model is available over here. i can only find one in 6 ampere and one in 30 ampere.

yes but unfortunatelly this amp seems to be very sensitive. the titan megathread is full of examples of power section problems and overheating. it sound very good that is why i want to keep it. if i can solve overheat and voltage i am set for my life.

cool. that model would be nice for me but like i said, can only find 2 models in europe

http://www.furmansound.com/product.php?div=03&id=P-6900-ARE

and 6 ampere is just not enough. 20 would be nice, 30 is great but it comes at a cost. but hey, if i have to spend 3200 euros to protect about 10000 euros (yeah, my rack is very expensive and full of good stuff) so be it.

thanks for the information. about the stable voltage, that does not apply over here unfortunately.