How to sing like white people - a guide for singers

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by pklima, Jan 4, 2017.

1. That was sheer genius! Like and share widely.

Some of what she lampoons actually sounds pretty good when done by Postmodern Jukebox's singers. This stuff's not just for white girls, either. Keep your eyes on the baritone sax in the video below, if you can. I'd play in that band.

The Band:
    Robyn Adele Anderson - vocals (center)
    Cristina Gatti - vocals (left)
    Ashley Stroud - vocals (right)
    Stefan Zeniuk - Flame-O-Phone
    Adam Kubota - bass
    Allan Mednard - drums
    Scott Bradlee - piano

el jeffe bass and SactoBass like this.
  2. FerruleCat

FerruleCat

Mar 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    The Bunkers were OGs, yo.

3. ToneMonkey

ToneMonkey

Sep 27, 2003
    Newberg, OR
    She forgot the most important rule (especially for male vocalists), master the technique of singing like you got a chicken bone caught in your throat... It's kind of like a half croak deal.... You're so overcome with emotion that it's actually painful to sing about it. But do it all the time 'cause it never gets old.

4. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    Sing like the guy from Rare Earth.

5. turf3

turf3

Sep 26, 2011
    Don't forget that when you breathe, you have to get right up on the microphone so it can pick up all the sound of your gasping intake.

JaseyT and +6dB Dan like this.
  6. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    I'm confused about what is particularly "white people" about this.

It could be because I listen to music by back and white people.

Stormchaser and IconBasser like this.
  7. JaseyT

JaseyT Guest

Jun 18, 2009
    Make that the next YouTube "how to..." video, and watch the ensuing self-righteous meltdowns.

Imaginary Pony likes this.
  8. JaseyT

JaseyT Guest

Jun 18, 2009
    Okay, back me up on this...doesn't this singer remind anyone else of Beavis?

MattZilla likes this.
  9. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    nailed it.

JaseyT likes this.
  10. john_g

john_g Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    This was the first song I could think of with hip singing..oh and any lorde song too:

11. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    ^
    Huh. I guess the parody was spot on. Phantom 'iii's" and everything.

12. matante

matante

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    When she gave the example of Rule number 3, it was exactly what I would call "black singing." I think people under a certain age are so used to hearing it everywhere, that they don't realize that's an R&B style.

Also, white doesn't equal indie. All the singers mentioned so far in this thread are much too famous (mainstream) to be called indie.

13. What about bob and doug?

Not going to lie, she got me at first. Honestly, I hear a lot of this vocal style, and being in the age group that it appeals to, I'm not into it, especially at local shows with trendy bands. I mean, I'm glad that people are expressing themselves in ways that they feel are appropriate and I understand that I don't need to enjoy it myself, but hearing that style of vocals has a very negative effect on me.

Also, I've never noticed the "II" sound to vowels, are there any particular examples?

I will say though, it seems a better description than "unique" to this vocal style, is "stylistic, and quirky". Quirky makes more sense IMO.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  14. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Lake Havasu City, AZ
    +1 :thumbsup:

15. sorry, I'm a big fan of them, I actually wear plaid all the time because my father always did, and so did bob and doug.

SactoBass likes this.
  16. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Lake Havasu City, AZ
    Sometimes my wife and I will look at each other and we'll say "good day, eh?" :D

pie_man_25 likes this.
  17. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    White people? Rhianna is white?

Matthew Fisher likes this.
  18. Bassology

Bassology

Feb 2, 2006
    I think this is more than just a white people thing or any color for that matter, see the videos below. It's just a style of singing that happens to be popular these days. Remember in the late 90's, early 2000's every pop singers were doing the hand moving singing. I don't see it better or worse than others. If it suits the music then so be it.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  19. Are you new here??

:woot:

20. tekhedd

tekhedd Tone chaser

Feb 9, 2009
    Colorado, USA
    Owner/operator of BYTE HEAVEN
    Rhianna? White? Kinda, yeah. *shrug*

I mean, her singing is. Chromatically she's one of them human colors, I don't know, I don't watch videos, so I find out years later anyway.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021