How to sing like white people - a guide for singers

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by pklima, Jan 4, 2017.

1. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

is it a fad? i'm just asking before i spend countless hours practicing it. i just want to make sure. i'll start in the morning. thanks for the tip. :thumbsup:

Gaolee likes this.
  2. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    "it's a unique sound..but everyone's doing...it all sounds the same..but it's unique"

OK, I'm sure you're very funny and informative but that just made my head hurt. I'm out at 00:20.

monsterthompson likes this.
  3. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Well, not literally "everyone". Just all the non-conformists.

4. Lowness

Lowness Inactive

Mar 13, 2015
    Healdsburg, CA
    Yes, it is a joke.

5. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    :D I was once recording a singer who had the worst P popping I've ever heard. In the interests of (studio) time we finally had them sing another consonant (B I think) in its place.

6. g4string

g4string

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    Nailed it.....

Lownote38, BaileyMan and tekhedd like this.
  7. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    That's pretty interesting really. I've been hearing those patterns for a while now and didn't have a name to give them.

I hear one other pattern she didn't mention - hurry through some syllables and sit long on others. Like the little girl who won the talent show does.

8. Kevan Campbell

Kevan Campbell Bergantino Artist, Vibe9 IEM Artist Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Austin, TX
    This was freaking hilarious, and made only better by the fact that she does have an beautiful voice when singing normally. I don't know how she made this video without cracking up every take!

JaseyT and ToneMonkey like this.
  9. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Of course. My dad says the key to that, at least in the blues, is to talk and make it sound like singing.

Yeah, it sounded pretty confusing to me at first as well, but listen to just about any Albert King song, especially this version of Matchbox Blues and it begins to make sense.

10. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    :)

You mean How to sing like Ricky Lee Jones?

Now I get it.

ahc likes this.
  11. tekhedd

tekhedd Tone chaser

Feb 9, 2009
    Colorado, USA
    Owner/operator of BYTE HEAVEN
    Poe's law, she's too good at it. :)

The longer you watch, the better it gets.

pie_man_25 likes this.
  12. David Vector

David Vector Supporting Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Michigan
    The real face-palm is all the people taking it seriously and making negative comments when it says right in the video description that the vid is "sarcastic and for entertainment." I mean, especially with the goofy glasses worn to drive it home, how can people be so literal-minded and oblivious?

13. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Brill! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

But she left out the Millenial Whoop... :cautious:

monsterthompson likes this.
  14. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    I like her

15. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Shawn Mendes does that bit about adding an I after vowels. 99% sure that's why I wouldn't mind him losing his singing voice in a tragic carrot eating accident.

U-i-rethra. Didn't you pay attention?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
    JaseyT and ToneMonkey like this.
  16. shorthand

shorthand Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2014
    She's brilliant, and I always get mad crushes on dryly funny women. Sadly, however, the guitarist I play with sings like this, and he's not funny.

Petebass and TheBear like this.
  17. twinjet likes this.
  18. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Lake Havasu City, AZ
    Regarding her video: I absolutely *LOVE* the type of humor of making fun of something and demonstrating how ridiculous something is, but presenting it in a "matter of fact" way. Similar to Monty Python (Brits making fun of Brits in a serious manner). Her video cracked me up! Two thumbs up!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

ToneMonkey and Rocker949 like this.
  19. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk 音楽は人生だ

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    I just learned about this thru a friend who made a Facebook post complaining about indie singers. I'd never heard it (or maybe just not noticed) but then again, I don't listen to CRAP. lol

Seriously, why do ppl sing like that? This is like, a general white ppl thing these days?

Jeshua likes this.
  20. gln1955

gln1955

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    Checked out her Youtube channel and yeah, she can sing. She's also very pretty behind those goggles.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021