How Will The Sopranos End?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Michael Jewels, May 20, 2007.

1. Yeah, that's what David Chase wanted everyone to think. :spit:

All I have to say is that the way he ended that series was the

WORST ENDING EVER!!! :spit: :mad:

I'll be back later after I calm down. :rollno:

Mike

2. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Took me awhile to realize it...but we the audience got whacked.

I too initially thought the cable signal went out. Then I thought Tony definitely got hit by the cat who went to the bathroom...homage to "The Godfather"...and we were experiencing his being to nothingness transition. He never knew what hit him.

But I really think David Chase brilliantly had us whacked.

3. labgnat

labgnat Inactive

Oct 29, 2005
    outta this world
    series finales always blow. all the anticipation then the writers give you the stupidest curve ball you could want.

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Inactive

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    On the bright side, I think Chase wrote it himself... no one else to take the "credit" for it:smug:

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Inactive

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings

Maybe... then again, maybe as Craig said, "we" got whacked. Literally.

Didn't even see it coming. Frickin' innocent bystander.

6. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    hmm.. maybe we did. :smug:

7. Not always true, like with Six Feet Under. They had a great ending to that series.

Chase didn't give us an ending.
    I need closure, damn it!! ;)

Basically, he didn't want to do the classic "shoot out" type of ending, and I can't blame him for that, but this was the best he could think of. :rollno:

Leave it up to my own interpretation?? That's BS! There are only two conclusions. Tony lives, or he dies. I don't want to pick one. It's like an author wrote a book and left the last paragraph blank with a note stating "tell me what you think happened".

Thank God it's only a TV show. I'll get over it. :D

I hope his DVD sales plummet into the darkest of abyss. They should now that everyone knows what a crappy ending it has.
    Okay, now I feel better.

David Chase SUCKS!
    Even better

8. Ripper

Ripper

Aug 16, 2005
    NY/NC
    I actually liked the ending, very suspenseful and never quite climactic. It did however seem more like a season finale than a series finale, but i give Chase the credit for coming up with an ending that no one expected

9. labgnat

labgnat Inactive

Oct 29, 2005
    outta this world

the fact that show ended was great, i agree with that. :hyper:

10. I couldn't agree with you more, Chunk.

David Chase had a great series, but I never thought he'd write such a cop-out ending.

He has a history of doing this in The Sopranos.

If I remember correctly, at the end of the 3rd season, Paulie and Christopher were in a park, and were supposed to whack some Russian guy. The guy got away from them and climbed a tree. Paulie lost his shoe, and he and Christopher had to spend a cold winter night in their car.

That's how the season ended, and next season there was no further mention of what happened to the guy. NO CLOSURE!

Then, at the beginning of the 6th season, Tony goes over to Bobby Bacala's house, and now - POOF! He's married to Tony's sister, and they already have a baby! And we mindless lambs are just supposed to accept it as fact! :spit: :rollno:

David Chase has a great talent for filling up episodes, and even seasons with dead-end plots.

Remember a few seasons ago when about half the episodes focused on Artie Bucco and his restaurant?

What did all that prove? NOTHING! It was just filler and no meat! :spit:

Then there was Tony's one-legged Ukanian girlfriend. He wrote her in when he needed to fill time, made her have only one leg to make it a little more interesting, and then she was gone. :rolleyes:

Even in the last episode, what was the point of AJ's SUV going on fire, and then his parents scolding him when the series was about 10 minutes from the end?

MORE DEAD-END WASTED TIME!

There are more time-wasting dead-ends, but I can't think of them right now.

In my opinion, David Chase should have ended the Sopranos two seasons ago, and this I feel would have left the show in a much stronger position for the prospect of a full-length movie option.

This series died slowly, the exact opposite of the original Star Trek, which died in its prime.

PHOOEY on that crappy ending, and shame on you, David Chase! :spit:

Can you tell I'm ticked off? :D

Mike ;)

11. I don't watch the Sopranos. I refuse to watch shows that glorify people eating in restaraunts. There's just no justification for that kind of behavior.

12. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Season 5 was the biggest waste of time ever. Also the episodes where Tony was comatose. In the beginning of the series there seemed to be a lot more action. I wonder what did away with all of this.

13. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Whens the next Nip/Tuck season starting?
    :hyper:

14. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    This is exactly why David Chase decided to have us (the audience) whacked.

If you can, watch the final scene again and listen to the lyrics of Journey's (not subtle band name choice) "Don't Stop Believin' "(also not subtle). Or you can read them now:

Just a small town girl, livin in a lonely world
    She took the midnight train goin anywhere (the camera is on Carmella)
    Just a city boy, born and raised in south detroit
    He took the midnight train goin anywhere (camera on Tony)

A singer in a smokey room
    A smell of wine and cheap perfume
    For a smile they can share the night
    It goes on and on and on and on

Strangers waiting, up and down the boulevard
    Their shadows searching in the night
    Streetlight people, living just to find emotion
    Hiding, somewhere in the night

And here's the message to all of us from David Chase:

Working hard to get my fill,
    Everybody wants a thrill
    Payin anything to roll the dice,
    Just one more time
    Some will win, some will lose
    Some were born to sing the blues
    Oh, the movie never ends
    It goes on and on and on and on

IMO Chase is a friggin' genius. As a fan I'll always be grateful to him for this incredible body of work. 86 episodes of unbelievably consistent artistry, from the writers to the actors to the production to the locations to the wardrobe to the music (!) and on and on and on and on.

Thank you David Chase.

15. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Didn't see it, never saw a single episode matter of fact... but for what it's worth, I was listening to a talk show this morning where someone tried to explain that Tony did get whacked, and what was shown was essentially getting whacked from his perspective...
    ??
    I have no idea if that's helpful or ridiculous but just thought I'd throw it out there.

16. Steve Clark

Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Who wants to take a bet that we'll see the Sopranos on the big screen in the next few years?

Tony is alive, Paulie is alive, Silvio is alive (sorta), Christopher is back . . . as a cat, AJ "when he has some real world experience" can come back and Tony will set him up with a club.

AJ becoming a made man on the big screen would be a good moment. Is Tony's uncle really senile? And we need a new boss to replace Phil Leotardo. Sounds like some script potential there.

How about Pacino as the new boss squaring off against Tony? Oh wait that's another movie.

For what is worth I enjoyed the ending. I was on the edge of my seat. Was Meadow going to get wacked by a truck as she tried to park the car, or run over as she crossed the road, or witness the execution of her Dad by any number of folks in the restaurant? Could have come back on the big screen as the Godmother.

17. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    Well my first inclination about the Sopranos end actually came the closest. See the last line above. I was telling my girlfriend a while back that in general, very little actually happens on the Sopranos, and I expected it to not have a big climax, but just sort of carry on.

18. morf

morf Inactive

Feb 17, 2006
    I liked it :)

19. morf

morf Inactive

Feb 17, 2006
    You dont know what you're talking about :spit:

20. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    BTW Phil getting whacked and the SUV rolling over him was one of my favorite Soprano moments. Loved it when the bystander blew chunks!
    I think there was a message in there about screwed up priorities. Don't know if it was a serious message or who it was for, but you had an agent working in anti-terrorism more involved in who would win the mob war than his job. "We're going to win this!" he wasn't referring to the war on terror. You have A.J. saying "you're living in a dream world" and wanting to take action about how messed up the world is, but at the end he is bought off by a job with a seedy movie production company.
    The Sopranos was always more about selfishness than mob hits or indictments.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 26, 2021