1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How would you define your style of playing?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Frndmoretti, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Frndmoretti

Frndmoretti

Jun 17, 2017
    Brazil
    So, what are the things that make your playing your own?
    How do you play if left to your own devices?
    What would a band you started around your musical style sound like?

In my case it's a repetitive, speeded-up funky sound. Minimal chord changes. Mostly minor.

What about you?

Pbassmanca, jamro217 and Bassbeater like this.
  2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    My playing is like a sweet symphony of cacophony.

MrLenny1, dbsfgyd1, onosson and 14 others like this.
  3. SLO Surfer

SLO Surfer Supporting Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Morro Bay, CA
    Like a soft plastic bag.

4. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Still finding my own playing style, but so far I just mainly look good right up front and center next to our singerbabe :p:rolleyes::bassist:

5. BurnOut

BurnOut It's The Billy Baloney Show Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    I too am finding my way, keep improving, playing closer to the original but still doing my own thing. The fills keep coming, as I leave my root ways behind. My vocals keep improving thanks to my neighbor taking me under his instruction. Wanna be the guy up front playing bass, maybe not 100% but a majority of the time.

6. lowplaces

lowplaces Got Punch ? Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    Dark

7. dmt

dmt

Apr 19, 2003
    Orbiting Sol
    Hmm. Maybe, "Stephen Stills-y, but more aggressive" would be in the right neighborhood. Currently I’m bringing some reggae influence into the mix. I’m always up for faux-country or straight up blues, and I’m also up for just whole note roots if that’s what the song calls for. Basically though, an eclectic 60’s and 70’s classic rock-based style, fingers or pick. Maybe ‘Berry Oakley meets John Entwhistle’, lol

I’m a bit less staccato than many others, I’ve noticed. Not "all legato, all the time" or anything, but....maybe it’s just that I’m not ‘modern’ or funky

I noodle around trying out different progressions, riffs and runs, looking for cool little bits I can use later

For starters, it would have frickin’ awesome drum fills :cool: Soaring guitars leads, mixed with crunching chords and rippling arpeggios
    There would be a mix of aggressive, beautiful, jazzy, folky, rootsy, progressive, bluesy and funny.

Sounds like a project! In fact, I was doing something loose but along those lines just recently (within the extent that the time confines I have allow), but...a health issue cropped up (Boo)

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    Frndmoretti likes this.
  8. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Somewhere between Jamiroquai, Pantera, Bryan Adams, and Brad Paisley.

9. dmt

dmt

Apr 19, 2003
    Orbiting Sol
    Intruiging!

10. FilTurd

FilTurd Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2015
    Pacific Northwest
    My style would be fast fingers, keeping in time, stick to the root notes the majority of time. Do some fills but basically keeping it simple, in time, having a blast and trying not to laugh at whatever antics our vocalist is going to do. Those are determined by how much alcohol he's consumed by the time our slot is up.

Bassbeater and Frndmoretti like this.
  11. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    That's a really good question that I felt I have to respond to, because I don't have a response.

Most entrepreneurs have a 30 - 60 second (elevator) pitch to tell what they do. If I was hit with that question for a potential gig, I'd flub through it right now. So thanks, as I'm going to work on this :).

Right now it would be something like: "I like playing every style of music and consider myself a song oriented guy. I love committing to 3 note songs as well as million note songs, and left to my own devices I lean towards the funky rock and roll kind of thing."

Hmm... needs work, but that would be me. @Frndmoretti , thanks for making me think.

12. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb

Apr 23, 2014
    After an astronomically long break — I began as a pick-wielding punk, before the crime that sunk that episode — and because of some ungodly peer pressure from unnamed internet sites, I put my mind solely to finger-style bassistry. All well and good. I like it fine. I also love the storytelling modes, rhythm, melody, and dancing, so I'm naturally drawn in these directions but I adopt lots of different stuff, not being too fixed or discriminating.

These days, I use a pick every now and again, and I've recently found the thumb to be a powerful ally for a lot of stuff — all this comes easy because of my background with a pick.

Reinterpreting, reharmonising, and matching or blending/augmenting feels is a lot of fun — keeps me amused. Improvising. I sing and play but rarely with a bass in my mittens, so I do need to do some of that soon. That'll be an adventure.

My band, just like the last, would be a loose collective of drifters and like-minded souls, unlimited in every way except our own limitations and the course of the music in play, on the day. This is bliss :)

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    Pbassmanca and dmt like this.
  13. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Think... mashed potatoes. Simple. Thick. Creamy. But also with butter, a pinch of kosher salt, sour cream, pepper, crushed garlic, bacon, chives, and cheddar cheese.

Don’t the rest of you play like food?

14. twinjet

twinjet CFM-equipped Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Adaptive. Ears always on.

When in my element, jazz, I love playing with chromaticism and dissonance. I don't do it too often though, as it can really throw some for a loop. I also enjoy rhythm play, dancing around the beat.

When playing everything else, I'm hyper focused on maintaining time and supporting the chord progression.

Matt Dean, jamro217 and Spidey2112 like this.
  15. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I do that in any musical style.

Bassbeater likes this.
  16. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    "How would you define your style of playing?"

If I may be so bold, a lot like Geddy's...

... when he was about 3, or 4.

17. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Have you ever thought about running for political office?

:D:roflmao::D:roflmao:...

18. Wanker_Joe

Wanker_Joe

Sep 26, 2017
    Self-indulgent wankery. I've heard my style called "masturbatory" and "not really melodic".
    (edit: in no way do I mean this comment to imply that I have any chops whatsoever).

bolophonic, Bassbeater and Sixgunn like this.
  19. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Melodic with a healthy dose of syncopation.

20. Vague

jamro217, SpyderX, P-oddz and 4 others like this.