1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How would you run midi through a wall?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by PaulIsTheMan, Oct 6, 2013.

1. PaulIsTheMan

PaulIsTheMan

Nov 25, 2012
    So I'm building a home studio and i need some help. I am wondering how i would run midi through a wall? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

2. Dave Curran

Dave Curran Lilduke

Jul 27, 2013
    NEPA
    A cat5 cable with midi jacks.

3. PaulIsTheMan

PaulIsTheMan

Nov 25, 2012
    how would i do that? do you got any links?

4. Dave Curran

Dave Curran Lilduke

Jul 27, 2013
    NEPA
    Run it like any wire, and make sure to connect like wires to terminals. blue/white = terminal 1. orange/blue = terminal 2. Doesn't matter what colors go where, but that same colors go on same terminals. Just put them in jack plates that get mounted in single gang boxes.

5. topo morto

topo morto

Mar 22, 2010
    Lloegyr
  6. PaulIsTheMan

PaulIsTheMan

Nov 25, 2012
    What I want is to have a midi jack on the wall and be able to plug a device in to it and have another jack somewhere else on the wall and plug the midi cables in to the computer.[​IMG]

7. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    If you mean that you want to run the cable through the wall from one point to another, you'll need to remove some of the drywall. If you want to avoid that, buy some wire moulding and surface mount boxes- they're in the Electrical aisle at Home Depot, next to the hand tools for electricians. This is available in metal or plastic.

8. PaulIsTheMan

PaulIsTheMan

Nov 25, 2012
    It's just framed, so no dry wall removal. And i got everything i need electrical wise cause my dad owns an electrical company.

9. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
  10. PaulIsTheMan

PaulIsTheMan

Nov 25, 2012
  11. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Don't know how long your run is. But if the console is on the otherside of the wall like you have a double pane window in the wall. USB will be a short run and it will work fine.

There is not a massive amount of bandwidth/throughput needed for Midi. I usually chain a bunch of midi things together on one cable.

If through the wall is a walk down the hall, then search around for MIDI over ethernet, or ipMidi, Midi Over Lan, or wireless MIDI. You could put a small PC or Mac in the room and run ethernet to your main DAW through ipMidi or Midi over lan.

Now is the time to put in conduit so you can rerun new cables in the future. Fiber optics maybe. Light snakes do midi and audio.

12. AA63

AA63 Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2003
    Montreal, Canada
    You want to make yourself a panel. While your at it you might as well run a couple of other jacks to the same location, a mic cable and a 1/4".

I would ask dad for a flexible shielded conduit, load it up with those three cables, and run it through holes in the studs to your control/mix area, keeping it 3ft. away from your electrical runs.

Then build yourself a panel to hold the jacks in place on the other side. Like these... your dad can help you build them for peanuts...

http://www.whisperroom.com/sound-booth-optional-features-pricing.php

13. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    There are several sources on line for studio wall plates with connection specific configurations if you want to go that route. They're not expensive. Just remember you'll need one for each side of the wall and need to make the connections between the two plates. But that would allow for a clean connect on both sides of the wall.

Another route is to punch a hole in the wall and feed the cabling, with connector already on the cable, through the hole, then use a wall plate of your preference or a small piece of foam to dress the hole.

Or you can punch thru the wall with a phillips screwdriver, making a very small, cable sized hole, feed the cable thru for a clean fit, caulk around the hole, and then add your connector.