1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Howdy From New(Sorta) Member

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Smiling Hal, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Hey All,
    I came to this forum at the suggestion of my History Teacher. When I checked it out I was surprised to see that I already was a registered member since February. I musta been researching something and came here or I don't remember because of Mucho Mas Tequila.

Anyway....Hi All

So let me give you a gig story. This is probably the weirdest gig that I can think of at the moment. Years ago, the band I was playing with, played a Halloween Gig at Napa State (California) Mental Hospital..............For the inmates. I knew I wasn't in Kansas anymore when a portly inmate sauntered up to me wearing a Mu Mu with tube socks. As he winked at me, I noticed the stubble of his beard sticking out of the white pancake make-up on his face. Need I say more. Also there was a cat there that was Elvis......He really thought he was Elvis.......For real.

Anyway, It turned out to be a fun gig. Who-Da-Thunk

2. Hey Hal!

Keep smiling!!

I used to deliver mail onto a lockup mental ward at a hospital. One Saturday I was walking through with the mail- and I was at the nurses' station door waiting for the staff to take the mail from me and I felt some guy breathing on my neck and he's whispering "haircut... military haircuts are goooooddd..." So I tossed the mail into the office and beat feet out of there.

3. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    Welcome to TB! :)

No major disasters, but playing for a jazz festival my cord started crapping out on our last song, a very bass-led song. Our best song :(

4. Silaxian

Silaxian

Dec 16, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    Elvis isn't dead, he just went home.

~ Agent K, MIB

5. O.K....this weekend I was gigging with this band that I'm kinda new to. I've been with them for a few months, so I'm just really getting to know the fellas.

They told me about this gig in S.F., were a guy died, right there on the dance floor. This gig was for some kinda organization. Anyway, my new band mates started packing up their gear thinking that this was surely the end of the night. Much to their surprise, after a short prayer, and the subsequent hauling away of the deceased, the person in charge stated that (insert dead guys name here) would have wanted the party to continue. So.....they played on, and the crowd danced the night away.

That trumps my playing at a insane asylum gig.

6. Dave R

Dave R

Sep 21, 2007
    Boise, ID USA
    OTOH--I played a gig where a gentleman collapsed on the dance floor. No pulse. Ambulance hauled him away. We stayed on our instruments, waiting for the signal to resume....

But our contact said that was it. No one wanted to continue. Sad night.