Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HT210S vs NL210

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Yamarc, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    Yes, another vs post from me!

(I love vicariously trying gear through all of you- its just cheaper that way!;) )

I currently own a passive Celinder Jazz bass and an iamp 500..

I recently recieved a Bergie HT210S and I love it, but GAS is a terrible disease...anyone compared these two cabs (esp with an iamp)?

I am wondering what the differences are in terms of tone and/or volume (at similar ohms)...it seems like most people are string advocates of the EA on EA thing, so I want to make sure I am not missing out on anything even better.

The NL210 seems to have lower specs on the treble response than the Bergie, but the bass specs are the same- I often wonder how this translates into what I actually hear (but thats another post).

Thanks, Marc

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have not had the chance to directly A/B the HT210S to my NL-210, but in my 2x10 shootout, I found a lot of similarities between the HT210 and the NL-210, and I called it a three way tie between the two of them and my Glockenklang Duo Wedge (I need to revisit this since I got the non-wedge Duo). I did one time get the chance to A/B the HT210 and HT210S. To my ears, the HT-210 was more extended both in lows and on the high end, but the S was more focused and punchy in the mids. I was able to hear Ken Jung's 4 ohm HT210S at my GTG, and it sounded much like what I recalled from my previous listen. I tried to compare it to my 4 ohm NL-210, but as we mentioned in the GTG thread, it died after 10 notes (suspected culprit is a magnet damaged in shipping). To no one's surprise, EA totally hooked me up, BTW. :D I am a bit bummed that we couldn't do the direct A/B.

IME/IMHO, these are both very excellent cabs that are going to be within spitting distance of each other, on the whole.

Is your HT210S a 4 ohm or an 8 ohm model?

Tom.

3. +1 to the above. Vic and I compared my 4ohm HT210S with his 8ohm NL210 a while back. While obviously not a direct comparison, the tone was similar but there were differences:

HT210S... smoother treble (not quite as sizzly as the NL's), less extended low end, more warm low mid punch (I've yet to hear any consistent accuracy between published specs and the low or treble response of a cab!).

NL210... very nice upper mid articulation, and wider bass and treble, I assume due to the bigger cab.

The NL is larger but weighs less. As Tom says above, my guess is you could get both to sound very similar with a little EQ.

I would highly recommend also taking a look at the EpifaniUL310... lighter than the HT210S, a little larger than the NL210 and just a little heavier, but much more efficient and louder than the EA and Berg... the sound is more open... you lose some of the mid punch of the two other cabs you are mentioning, but you get more low end DB's in a relatively small and very lightweight package that really puts out a lot of sound per watt.

Also... the cab is just big enough IMO to easily roll with castors on it... so you eliminate the hassles of a cart. Also, Nick's removable castors are cool... the don't extend into the cab, but rather 'clip on'. It's great to wheel that thing in with your head on top, and then unclip the back two castors for a nice 'tilt' for better monitoring on small stages, but still a nice amount of coupling for full bottom, etc.

Finally, the medium Schroeder's, especially the 1210 (I haven't tried the Light's yet) are another highly efficient, small cab that sounds great, and is 'loudest' of all three of the above mentioned cabs.

Just a thought!

K

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    NL goes lower, is warmer sounding, and much easier to carry.

the HTS has a sweeter more mellow tweeter, yet more hifi w/ more definition.

5. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    Cool. Thanks, you guys were the main ones I wanted to hear from...Tom- my Bergie is a 4 ohm cab.

Have you guys heard of many problems with the EA Neo stuff? With Tom, I now know three people who have had/are having issues with the magnets/neo speakers.

Also, I really like a nice deep low end, especially one that communicates the open E well...I found EA' s Wizzy a little lacking in this regard (as the rolloff was noticeable to my ears) and I really loonging for more treble response overall.

The Bergie is better than the Wizzy in both of these regards, and I really like it...I am just perpetually thinking of how to improve my (already good) sound. I really like my EA iamp 500 head so I may want to steer clear of the Epifani stuff right now...also, everyone raves about the EA on EA match up, so this may be the way to go.

I may try out an NL-210 just for kicks and see what I think, I do like how tall it is although I wonder if my iamp will slide off the top when it is tilted back...should I look for an 8 ohm or 4 ohms model? Thanks

6. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I'd give it a try. It should get you the deeper lows you want. That, or an HT210.

Tom.

7. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    Does your iamp slide off when it is tilted back?

Anyone know where I can find a used NL210?

Anybody selling one?

Thanks, Marc

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    dave wilson? :smug:

9. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Not any more! :D

10. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Yes!! Club Bass in Toronto has one $849 Can with brand new drivers...so about $700 US :hyper:
    www.clubbass.ca

Good luck

11. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    Crap, Tom! Did you snag that cab? I tried to get David to ship it to me, but he was reluctant...dang, really wanted the 4 ohm version too!

12. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Yes. David was very reluctant to ship this cab, but I had an NL-210 box with the factory packaging which I shipped to him empty, and he shipped back to me. Even so, though, at least one of the magnets appears to have taken too much jarring in transport. But, EA being EA, they have more than taken care of me. :cool:

13. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    Cool. Now I only have to figure out how to get you to let go of one of your three...

14. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Hi, I had my iAMP slide off a Wizzy once but has not happened with an NL210. I'll have to check but maybe the "wheelbase" of the Wizzy is shorter therefore the angle is steeper. Not sure. I should check before I write. Sometimes I'll hang the front feet over the edge of the cabinet particulary if the stage has a lot of give.

I understand the 4 ohm to be a custom order from EA. I must admit its tempting next time I order.

15. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yep, can be a problem with Wizzy's tilted back. I solved it by using a thin, black sheet of rubber mat-type material. Very tacky and cut to fit on the top of the cab. Then I sit the 500 on top and it never moves for the whole gig.

16. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    I know exactly what you mean. Good idea.

17. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    wow,

this man has no limits. :D