1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hudson Electronics Broadcast

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by moishelichtfuss, Nov 2, 2017.

1. While I'm quite content in the mild OD/dirty boost area with my Rawkworks Light OD (I also like the SolidGold Beta and of course the Barbershop) I'm curious. Has anyone ever tried the Broadcast on Bass? What's it like? I see that all it has EQ-wise is a low cut.

blindrabbit and e-flat like this.
  2. e-flat

e-flat

Jun 15, 2009
    Washington State
    I’m curious about this box as well...

3. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Many here have tried it. And REALLY like it. I'd wait for them to check in.

4. nshuman

nshuman Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    ccp
    Love mine. I had a first run one (one of the first 10 or 15) that had the other NOS transistors. I sold it and got a custom two gain setting one. Still love it. It's a great pedal.

blindrabbit likes this.
  5. Ah well. Just bought myself one to check it out. Couldn't resist the nice limited edition 2 switch 24V model in Magenta. :)

e-flat, emjazz and blindrabbit like this.
  6. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014
    i have had their limited edition's Buzzard. It worked well on my basses.

blindrabbit likes this.
  7. I have one, it is one from the first run with the NOS Mullard in it, and the pedal is pure gold, if you ask me. I run it as an always...in fact, I don't think I've shut the thing off since I got it. The Broadcast adds an amazing tonal sweetness to my sound that is unparalleled. Even during a recent studio excursion, the engineer was asking me about all my pedals, and we tried them all out one by one to see if they were going to work with the recording process. He thought the difference the Broadcast made to my sound was so striking, that he ended up saying after its test "never turn that pedal off again, it is amazing", and later took down some information on where and how to get one, etc.

Anyway, I love using it (as you can probably tell) as a slightly dirty/warming/sweetening preamp - it runs last in my chain before heading to my amp. However, I've also tested it as an OD pedal, and it sounds glorious in that role. I've toyed with the idea of getting a second one, or even swapping for a dual channel version, and maybe someday I will.

I've owned a Betas (regular and Black), and also Barbershops (had 3 of them, all V1s), but never tried or owned a Rawkworks. To me, the Broadcast is easily better than the Beta, and also better than the Barbershop (although that comparison is a little closer). You do have the comparisons surrounded though, that's the ballpark you are in when talking about this pedal.

A couple of notes on it in case you get one:

- It doesn't seem to like going early in a chain of pedals, for whatever reason. I find it sounds too congested when sitting first in my chain. It seemed to really like sitting after my compressor, and maybe this is in part because it does have a tendency to compress naturally itself and sound too congested if the signal it gets is really hot.

- Definitely run it at 24V (or buy a 24V version). It is like a completely different pedal at 9V vs 24V...I'm not surprised that 24V seems to be the new standard of sorts for the Broadcast.

- Yeah, it has a low cut knob, and I definitely keep that rolled off all the time. Something about the skinny string guys liking to be able to roll off their low end, I dunno. Anyway, just ignore it.

In my opinion, everything Hudson makes is quite amazing. I've owned or tried their Buzzard and OD850, both also amazing, and I constantly lust over their other pedals. Quality stuff, no doubt.

I know that is all a bit vague, but it can be tough to describe tonal magic sometimes. I guess I could also say things like - it makes the mids more rich and complex, it doesn't lose any low end (if the low cut knob is turned off), it has a lovely sweet sparkle to the high end, it has touch sensitive qualities as long as you run it at 24V and don't hit it too hard, it sounds good enough to run direct to a board in the studio, it serves as a nice preamp for both SS and tube amps, it has enough output to drive a power amp on its own...is that helpful? :)

Bottom line - get one, you will not regret it (and if by some chance you do, just send me the pedal and I'll dispose of it for you ;) ).

NKBassman, emjazz and markmck79 like this.
  8. Wot, that was a long, informative and dare I say passionate write-up. Thank you very much! The Broadcast is already on its way to me (as mentioned above: a very nice looking limited dual switch 24V version from Peach Guitars in the UK). Your tips are definitely very much appreciated and I'll consider them when I play around with it. Thanks again!

blindrabbit likes this.
  9. markmck79

markmck79 Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2013
    Texas
    I have the dual footswitch version and I'll just say +1 to @blindrabbit 's comments (although I like running mine at 18v).

blindrabbit likes this.
  10. Well, it sure looks nice. Have to check the sound later. :)

HipstamaticPhoto-531761893.837373.

blindrabbit, Blu bro and emjazz like this.
  11. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Curious what you'll have to say about it.

blindrabbit likes this.
  12. Meh! Tell us what you really think of it.

blindrabbit likes this.
  13. I know of at least one fellow who *prefers* to run his at 18V over 24V, but also agrees that both those voltages are better than 9V. :)

markmck79 and nshuman like this.
  14. giphy.

15. nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    ccp
    Totally agree.

e-flat, markmck79 and blindrabbit like this.
  16. ...says the fellow himself!

e-flat, nshuman and emjazz like this.
  17. You completely lost me there. :D

18. Thinking about getting the dual switch 24v version, which i believe uses a charge pump to get from 9v to 24v. On the website it recommends using an isolated output power supply, but would it work okay daisychained? Obviously don't wanna damage anything.

blindrabbit likes this.
  19. nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    ccp
    I would run it isolated.

blindrabbit likes this.
  20. Just sold my ocd, definitely have the Peach Guitars version on its way to me now

blindrabbit likes this.