1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Humbucker Switch Options

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassburner, Jun 17, 2014.

1. Parallel/series

6 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. Phase switching

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Single coil/humbucking

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. bassburner

bassburner Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2008
    I'm adding a humbucker, specifically a DiMarzio DP145, to a PJ which has the P in the standard sweet spot position.

This will go in the neck position and I'm planning on wiring it V/V/V/T. I'm thinking of making the DP145's pot a push-pull. Which option do you think makes most sense? I only want to pick one because I don't want to add additional switches and make things too crowded.

DiMarizio's wiring instructions are here if anyone's interested: http://www.dimarzio.com/sites/default/files/diagrams/4Conductor.pdf

2. Phase switching is pretty much useless, IMO, and single coils do not humcancel, so that makes series/parallel switching the only good choice to me.

3. I vote other. You should add a 3 way switch that goes bridge coil of humbucker, both coils, and neck coil. This will yield the most tonal options and will have more useful tones than phase shifting.

4. I think it's pretty standard to wire these in series mode (happy to be corrected), but definitely try it out in parallel mode. You'll have a great contrast to the P. If you go with a coil tap (regardless of if you go series or parallel), make sure you tap the right coil. The one left on should have the opposite magnetic polarity from your J pickup.

5. The DiMarzio DP145 is not a tapped pickup.

6. I was talking about tapping a whole coil. I've not seen a true "tapped" pickup in many years. Sorry for the confusion.

7. orangejulius3

orangejulius3 Supporting Member

May 6, 2013
    La Habra CA
    I vote for Parallel/Single Coil/Series
    My Warwick Corvette $$ has 2 humbuckers with 2 switches, and love this option. I notice though I rarely use Single Coil.