Hurricane Rita

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by darkfish01, Sep 20, 2005.

1. ...most pointless thread ever...
  2. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA

Check back in a week...
  3. McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    Hey, some of us are in the path of it. At least this time people have an idea that they should evacuate. I may evacuate on Friday if it has gotten bad enough. Still don't know though
  4. Well, the current projected path has the storm hitting my town.

Friday my family is evacuating. My family will probably be staying with some relatives on the north side of town - I think this is my perfect oppurtunity to visit some friends in Dallas, so I'll probably do that if I can.

Er, on the brightside, school and my work have both cancelled operations til at least monday. Paaaartaaaaaay.

5. If any of my stuff gets destroyed, then hey, I guess it doesn't matter. It's all pointless to you.
  6. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I'm evacuating, but my girlfriend wants to stay and ride it out at the house.

It's going to be at least a Cat4, I live 6-8 miles from the water, how smart is that?
  7. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I live 150 miles in, so I know we'll get rain, but Houston, Galveston, Corpus, etc.....I'm starting to feel really bad for you guys....

8. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    fixed your post to you for you...

9. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Can I come stay with you? ;)
  10. BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Geez dude, they just showed the projected storm surge on the news.

A category 4 coming in at Galveston will have a storm surge that reaches to I-10 on the east side, and almost to 610 loop along I-45.

BTW, to those that think this is ho-hum, boring, etc.....

Note that the area covered by this projected storm surge includes almost all of the oil refineries in the Houston area. And that's a BUNCH of 'em.

You think gas prices are painful now?

ETA - I'm in Spring, about 25 miles north of downtown Houston, about, oh, 75 or so miles from the coast. No chance of a storm surge this far north, but the wind and rain might still get pretty hairy.
  11. Damn, my parents are in Houston. I wonder if they are staying or what...(they live in downtown Houston).
  12. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    It's still not apparently clear where Rita is going to make landfall. I'm going to New Orleans on Friday, and my g/f is going to follow on Sunday. I'm not sure what we can do exactly, but I do expect that people lke FEMA will be more on the ball in terms of Rita, than they were in terms of Katrina.

They better be, or I'm going to be really pissed off.

I have (personally) a specific mission, which is that my drummer and I are going to check out his mom's house, and Nicky's going to follow up with whatever I can't do in time.

She's at least as athletic as I am, and she's going to get whatever funds she needs, and I'm mad as hell that an 80-year old woman has to suffer through this kind of cr*p.

You should meet my drummer's mom, she's the kindest, gentlest, most understanding woman that ever lived on this planet (right up there with my own mom, in fact).:)

And it's not right, that she's going to have to deal with all this political BS. (See TPA for further details).

I'm mad as hell right now. I'm really pissed off. I'm going to ground zero on Friday (either directly, or through Atlanta, depending on which one pans out), and Nicky is following a couple of days later.

My cousin in Canada just sent us another ten thousand bucks, on top of what my mom just gave us, to try to help out. There's no illusion of things being "over" at this point, in spite of what you may be hearing in the media. Things are only just starting.

My drummer's mom has been sleeping on the floor for the past few days, with eight other people, in a tiny two-bedroom house in Torrance.

This sh*t makes my blood boil, there's absolutely no excuse for it. The only thing worse would be to have lived in the SuperDome or something.

You guys in Houston, can count yourselves lucky. Your government is on top of this equation. As distinct from the miserable failure that occurred in Louisiana.

Argh..... I get really upset every time I think about this. Natural disasters are one thing, but human disasters are entirely another.

Anyway, see TPA for further details, I don't want to go too far out on a limb here.

Suffice it so say that I'm pissed off, and the only things that are keeping my head screwed on right now, are my g/f Nicky, and the golden retriever pup we just adopted from the Katrina zone.

No self-serving politician is going to let Rita become the same kind of disaster that Katrins was, but frankly, it's too late.

The government of Texas is probably way more capable than Blanco is (or was), and I hope to God all you good people can marshall your resources to where they count.

You've certainly been more than generous, in terms of opening your arms to your neighbors.

All we could do (personally) was adopt a puppy, donate a few bucks, and try to set something right for our aging parents.

But the bile keeps coming, it hasn't gone away. I'm going to be watching very carefully, even if I make it out to New Orleans this weekend. I've got a lot of friends in the South, and there's no way on God's Green Earth that I'm going to abandom them at this moment.

Well, I've probably said enough. See TPA for more details.
  13. Wow, I just looked on and this thing is a monster. The winds are at 165 mph right now. That to me is just unfathomable. I wish all that are in the storm's way well. Hope everyone does well with this one.
  14. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I experienced Hurricane Bertha 5 days after moving to the Virgin Islands back in 1996.

I wouldn't wish a hurricane on my worst enemy. Destruction, suffering, and as said above, "unfathomable" even when you are watching it happen first hand.

People don't take these things seriously enough. Nowhere near the respect they deserve.
  15. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Geez, it's category 5 now. This is scary...

16. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I was thinking the exact same thing. My dad disagreed though, he says it's going North once it hits land, and that equals Dallas right in its path. He also says it will stay a cat3 for quite a bit inland.
  17. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I just saw that it was upgraded to 5.... I hope that necessary actions are taken this time!
  18. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    This is quite bizzare. Two catigory 5 hurricanes within a few weeks of each other in the same region? Has this ever happaned before?

Pray this beast don't turn north to the New Orleans area, it very well could, hurricanes can do some strange things.