1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hybrid Strings - Evah Pirazzi vs Thomastik Belcanto

Discussion in 'Ask Lynn Seaton' started by Paul Baker, Nov 25, 2014.

1. Paul Baker

Paul Baker

Nov 25, 2014
    Hi Lynn

I am looking for a new set of strings for my Upright. I do about as much pizz playing as I do arco, so am really looking for something that will tick both boxes. This seems to be quite a rare thing, but after much noodling around on various sites and forums, it seems to come down to a choice between Thomastik Belcantos and Pirastro Evah Pirazzis.

I know this is very far from being an exact science and is vastly dependent on the bass itself, it's set up, and just plain personal taste. However I welcome opinions and wondered what your thoughts might be.

Paul Baker

2. Lynn Seaton

Lynn Seaton Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2006
    Denton, TX
    Hi Paul,
    Yes, you are correct when saying it is a personal choice regarding string selection. The strings you mentioned have many fans. I also like a string that is good for pizzicato and arco. For many years I used Corelli Forte. I am now using Zyex Light Tension and am very happy with those!

3. Hi Paul,

I have played both sets, each for about two years or so. Though I love the Belcanto for orchestra, I don't like them for jazz or latin big band. Evah Perazzi regulars are in my opinion much better for the dual role. They are loud, dark with lots of overtones, have a nice punch, and good sustain. Unfortunately many dedicated jazz players object to the regular's tension, they feel it makes them hard on the right hand, when playing long gigs. I personally have never had an issue with that, but admittedly I don't play four hour gigs.

4. deste

deste

Sep 14, 2009
    Bologna, Italy, Europe
    Endorsing Artist: GullanskyLab pickups
    Never tried Evah on my bass, just ona friend's bass and they didn't seem so wonderful to my ears an mostly to my fingers. In the last five years I'm using Belcanto only, and they give me what I need: dark, deep sound, good attack, tension under my right hand, definite in bowing. Only issue: I played strings with a longer sustain. But I'm really happy with them.
    Anyway, only your hand, your ears and your bass may tell you...

5. lurk

lurk

Dec 2, 2009
    Velvet Compas 180 are pricey but very nice pizz and arco and easy on the hands.

6. wathaet

wathaet

May 27, 2007
    My favourite crossoverstring is Sonores 2014