Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hypocrites are funny!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by kratekyle, May 1, 2005.

1. Let's share stories of the funniest, most hypocrisy filled moments that we all have had. (i.e. stupid people proving thier stupidity)
    A few years ago, I worked in sales at a high end jewelry store, (please don't hold this against me!). One day, a couple in their early to mid 30's comes in. I greet them and immediately notice that the husband is wearing an authentic rolex watch. This tells me right away this man has more money than brains, (there are MUCH better chronographs for the same money). Meanwhile, his wife is wearing a diamond that wasn't worth 1/6 of his rolex. Anyway, they are rather pleasant people and we hit it off right away. He picks out a huge necklace for himself made of 18k Italian gold ($1200 +) and a few smaller items for his wife.
    After this, He then then asks me if I have a (huge) matching 18k gold bracelet that reads W.W.J.D. (what would Jesus do?). I told them that such a bracelet simply did not exist. They got the other items and went on thier way.

It was hard for me not to say something to him.

Even though I live my life by the "golden rule", I am not a "christian". I still just can't believe that this guy didn't realize how stupid he sounded! Give me a break! WHAT WOULD JESUS DO? I have a feeling that if Jesus had $2000+ to spend, he would probably spend it helping poor people, not buying himself some kind of christian status symbol to show off in church! What a dillhole this guy was!

People never fail to amaze me!

P.S. Even though this post touches on the subject of religion, that IS NOT what this thread is about. It's about hypocrisy and the humor behind it! Please don't turn this thread into a debate on Rolex or 18k gold either.

2. i agree about the rolex not being THE greatest timepiece.. but its a status cymbal.. kinda like a porchse or gucci, its like yeah there are better clothes or cars, but does it have the same impact when people see a rolex.. well thats up to the buyer.

but the wwjd is kinda funny..

3. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    For you to judge the actions of another with disdain is no better than the "hypocrisy" of this man.

You never know what this man does or how much money he makes. For some people, $2000 may be a day's pay.

4. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    So what is a better watch. I'd love to get a good watch as I'd wear every day for decades (My 20+ eyar old pulsar is dying). I don't wanta Rolex as they are pretentious. Those TAGS look nice as do those...Pierce Brosnan plugs them...sort of a "Quiet dignified" branding around them.

5. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    There are just too many stories about politicians... Especially in my country, with these capitalist offsprings of the communist regime's leaders :rollno:

6. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    That's sad, how can you live on that!!!!

:bag:

7. I saw hypocrosy last night and want to read this thread when I have time for some entertainment. Sorry no stories from me right now, bye.

8. I have to disagree with you on this one Ty. Me pointing out the irony of this situation (and laughing) is not nearly as hypoctrical as this guy actually wanting a huge, solid gold WWJD bracelet! He could have as much money as Bill Gates and it would be just as ironic to me.

I don't claim to be perfect, we all have our own little hypocritical moments. Your post dosen't change my mind about anything.

9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I'd have to agree with you in this case.

10. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Yes, I find it quite humorous.

11. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Ty, I think you're missing the irony.

Jesus = a very humble person.

WWJD? He would not spend $2000 on a golden bracelet.

12. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Well, now we have yet another TB

[​IMG]

13. Exactly! this situation is only slightly less hypocritical than say, someone going and beating the crap out of someone that Ghandi didn't like!

14. Geez most of you are blind............"Ty McNeely" either IS that guy or has one of those braclets.

:bag:

I'll try and think of any that I know or see if I can find a site that has alot of this kind of stuff on it and share, but I am busy (not on the 10 hour road trip I almost had to take tonight but busy non the less)

15. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    I am neither---I don't have the bracelet and I'm not that guy.

I think you guys are missing the point that just because someone is a Christian does not mean that he or she must live in poverty. Christ tells us that he will bless our houses and make us prosperous. If the guy feels compelled to buy a bracelet like that, there is nothing wrong with it.

I do see the irony there, but just think it's wrong to judge him.

We all have different opinions, and it looks like I'm in the minority. Not the first time and won't be the last.

16. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    I have to side with Ty on this one.

You simply don't know what else the guy has done / is doing. If he is rolling in the cash, and just donated $200K to a home for foster children, then walked across the street to buy a $2000 bracelet, is he a hypocrite?

Not in my book.

On a side note, a few years back, I had most of the neighborhood kids convinced that WWJD bracelets meant "We Want Jelly Donuts"..... :bag:

17. We're all idiots to someone in some moment of our lives.

18. I think the fact that a solid gold WWJD bracelet could even exist for someone to wear constitutes a certain hypocrisy. It's like wearing a giant, diamond encrusted necklace that says, "Don't buy diamonds." Regardless of how much cash the dude makes in a year, it's pretty funny.

And I really don't think it's particularly judgmental to have a chuckle about this sort of thing. As has been said, we're all idiots to someone at some point or another. The original in the post did indeed seem slightly vindictive, but that really doesn't mask the irony of the situation.

Just my 2 cents, but no one be judgmental about what I said! ;)

19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

A hypocrite that I know personally is a guy who was once the president of the local Sierra Club chapter.

He drives a 1980 something Toyota that emits blue smoke.

20. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I remember that story. :p