1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I am Torn

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by BassMan257, Mar 30, 2006.

1. no... its not my name... it is my state...

Allright... Im looking into buying a mac... but there is offically like, way to many choices... at first i wanted to go in small and get an ibook... but then idecided a powerbook is a better investment... but, at the same time... the mac mini has the new intel processors... the dual core one looks really appitizing... BUT, a notebook is alot more... um.. me...

I understand that money to performance on a desktop is alot better than on a notebook...

I just dont want to get a notebook and then it start sucking... i mean...

and to top it all off, I want add ons... which are: at least an 80G harddrive, with a gig of ram... which isnt making anything cheaper...

screen size doesnt bug me...

just the fact of not being able to decide is killing me... i really want some sound advice... i will be going to college soon... if that changes anyones oppinion... as well as recording, designing graphically, and using it for basic internet/wordprocessing purposes...

any suggestions?

2. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    What, specifically do you want to use it for? That would give people a good idea as to what advice to offer you.

3. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    performance wise the dual core minis and the dual core laptops are about the same. obviously the laptop is portable and you dont need to lug around a monitor and keyboard.

if you need portability get the laptop.

oh, and dont buy your upgrades from Apple; way too expensive.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

No - I'm Torn...."I'm Torn"...."I'm Torn".....etc. :p

5. if you don't need portability i wouldn't get a laptop. you get more bang for your buck with a desktop or macmini. the best value is probably a macmini. and you could argue the macmini is almost a laptop because it is extremely portable due to it's size. whatever you get fill it with the most memory you can afford. at the very least go for a gig of memory though you could get by with 512 depending on how many tracks you need. buy a firewire drive to record your audio on too. they're pretty cheap now. and voila, you'll also have backup capabilities.

6. i have to add a vote for the powerbook, or whatever the new ones with the intel chips are called, you should be getting about the samer performance as you would from the mini, plus portability. and as a college student i can tell you that having a laptop is an absolute blessing.

7. at the moment... i am no longer torn...

my cab pooped out...

I havent sold it yet..

I need another...

and i want some avatar speakers... lol

the laptop will have to wait...

thing is, the "dual core" intel laptop is like 2000 some odd dollars...

the "dual core" mac mini is like 700 at best...

8. chrisp2u

chrisp2u

Aug 15, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    There are a few more differnces to note that make up quite a bit of the difference.
    - cheaper mini doesn't have the super drive.
    - mini doesn't have a screen/monitor. You'd need to buy that too if you don't have one.
    - I Don't think the mini comes w/keyboard mouse.
    - the macbook pro's have faster processors.
    - macbook's have larger standard drives.
    - macbook's have built-in isight camera.

... there may be more... that's what I came up with off the top of my head.
    ---
    c