1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I can sightread the Parker omnibook

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by odin70, Jan 2, 2012.

1. odin70

odin70

Dec 26, 2007
    I have been working hard on my sightreading for a while and yesterday i found my old Parker book. To my surprise it was not difficult anymore. Im happy.
    Does anyone have suggestions for more reading to work on ?

2. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Waltz01. Waltz02.

:D Sorry. Couldn't resist. On a serious note, have you tried J.S. Bach's cello suites? You can even find transcriptions/adaptations for double bass. Here's an example.

Dedman666 likes this.
  3. odin70

odin70

Dec 26, 2007
    he he thats a challenge. The Bach cello suites are on the repertoire. thanks

4. henry2513

henry2513 Supporting Member

May 9, 2011
    Los Angeles, Ca
    That's a great accomplishment, I just got it for that specific purpose, while I'm capable of playing what's on there, it's still a painful process reading it.

5. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Glen Cove, NY
    Never did like that book much for reading. IIRC, it was basically all done in C or Bb right?

6. Turn it upside down. :p

7. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    ? Even the blues are all over the place - C, Bb, F, Eb, Ab - and there's plenty of stuff that has 3,4 or 5 different key centers in it.

8. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Glen Cove, NY
    Mine just doesn't use key signatures, it's just got accidentals all over the place. That's pretty cool and useful, but I usually gravitate towards stuff that's got lots of key signatures.

9. The Bach Cello suites are a lot of fun.....also Bach's Invention 12 in A Major is also a nice challenge, I've seen a few bassists have a go at this...

...or you could try this George Crumb piece...

Attached Files:

10. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    OK.
    Good luck with that.

11. odin70

odin70

Dec 26, 2007
    The Bach inventions are great.

12. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    Endorsing Artist: Kiesel, Carvin, Accuracy, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    Bruce Gertz's 22 Melodic Etudes for Electric Bass.
    David Baker's Duet Series Books
    There's a lot of bass clef material available on the Chas Colin website that's challenging
    Chord Studies for Electric Bass by Rich Appleman
    Melodius Etudes Vol. 1-3 by Joannes Rochut (Trombone)

13. odin70

odin70

Dec 26, 2007
    Just for the record.. I cannot play the parkers solos very fast. I do em slowly. But it is a great feeling when you suddenly can do something you could not last year. Its not that often i get that feeling anymore.

14. odin70

odin70

Dec 26, 2007
    Thanks!

15. Frank Zappa charts. :p

Dedman666 likes this.
  16. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    First of all, congratulations.

You could try Dotzauer's cello studies. Jaco Pastorius practiced them when he was learning. (I offer this at the risk of starting another "Is Jaco overrated??" thread.) :D

And yes, any Bach is good, because if you get his feel for writing bass parts in your blood, it'll help with whatever kind of music you play. (Unless you're in a Ramones tribute band, maybe.)

17. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Glen Cove, NY
    Ooh, where are those? Got any to share? :D

18. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    Anthony Vitti's sightreading funk bookadvanced is quite a challenge

19. odin70

odin70