I cannot decide which bass to get-Help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wolfi228, May 9, 2021.

1. Wolfi228

Wolfi228

May 9, 2021
    Hello Dan, thank you for your input. My apologies, I did not mean white, I meant WIDE musical variety. I’m trying to figure out how we go back in and correct that.

M.R. Ogle, Reedt2000 and MattZilla like this.
  2. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    The B version has single coil pickups - they will hum if soloed, but will have good articulation. The other 3 versions have dual coil humbuckers - they will lack in the articulation department, but won't hum. The slanted job, I can't imaging every playing one of those. I guess I'd keep looking, but your opinions might place different values that might make the decision easier. Then again, you've been deciding for a while, so maybe not.

I think they look cool.

BBassBassington likes this.
  3. Wolfi228

Wolfi228

May 9, 2021
    Hey Gearhead, thank you for your reply and suggestion. No, unfortunately I have not had a chance to play any of these three basses, Which really sucks. I called every music dealer around the metroplex, nobody carries any of them. The bad part is, I’m trying to play a multiscale to see if I actually like it, but nobody carries any to try out.

4. Wolfi228

Wolfi228

May 9, 2021
    Hello Aaron, thank you for the reply in the suggestions. You make a very good point. I looked at the LH 500 and I like it. The 1000 may be a bit out of my price range.
    What about the cabinet? Would you suggest the 410XL 4x10 (400 Watt) or the 1000? Or any other?
    I play somewhat big venues but always go through the house sound.

5. Wolfi228

Wolfi228

May 9, 2021
    Hello jd, thank you for suggesting the Ampeg. What was the reason why you suggested this one?
    My last bass amp was an Ampeg, the BA-115 (wedge). Did not like it.

jd56hawk likes this.
  6. Wolfi228

Wolfi228

May 9, 2021
    Very nice basses, although a bit out of my price range at this time.

theduke1 likes this.
  7. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Well, it is an Ampeg and 500 watts...only weighs 39 lbs, and I'm not the biggest Hartke or Fender amp fan, so...
    Seriously, I'm dying to try one out...videos don't really help.
    (Trying to decide if should buy one or go with a Markbass Ninja, even at the higher price.)

8. mysteryclock

mysteryclock Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    Don't forget to check out the Classifieds section here on Talkbass. Many of us list the gear we're selling here first and at competitive prices vs. the hassle of posting it on eBay or Reverb.

Wolfi228 and Reedt2000 like this.
  9. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I have been using since about 2008, a Hartke LH 1000. At the time, I was with very loud players. I still use it with an Low Down Sound (LDS) 2 x 10 for the mostly pub gigs we play these days. More than adequate. Used the same set up for 6 years with a Young Country band playing Aldean, Luke Bryan, FLA/Georgia Line type stuff. I also ran through PA’s and bring a DI box and use my amp/cab for onstage...my security blanket. The LH then was about $650.00. The LDS cabs were about $400 each. I have 2 slightly different ones.
    I use Speakon cables as required, never had a problem and let a PA monitor mix do as much of the work as possible...or, tell your fellow musicians to turn down.
    Edit: The used market for amp/cabs my be your friend though these are all very personal choices and, trusting what you’re buying used can be at times, a leap of faith. New purchases you get warranties, return periods, a bit more peace of mind.

Last edited: May 9, 2021
  10. BBassBassington

BBassBassington

May 6, 2018
    Ontario
    Ibanez SR1605 with either a Fender Rumble 500 or Ampeg Rocketbass 210.

The SR1605 replaced the 2605 on my GAS list. I'm honestly pretty torn between the B and D too. I'm leaning more towards the 1605D because of the Aguilars but I slightly prefer the finish and string spacing on the B so really you can't go wrong. Especially if you're not going to solo pickups live.

I wouldn't go for the multiscale. I've been super intrigued by it so I've listened to a ton of demos. Every time I hear any of them they just sounds way too flat. I think it helps with articulation because it evens out things more between strings but it seems to take away character in doing so. Even the Spector Dimension, by far my favorite multiscale doesn't have as much character as comparable models. Add to that the SRMS you're looking at is also a solid step down in the Ibanez range and I just don't think it will impress as much.

But I'm very partial to the SR1605, and I have Aguilars in my 'Nez. So I'm very biased here. Also Ibanez + Ampeg/Fender = tone heaven. I'm partial to the Rumbles but I reckon the Rocketbass may be a slightly better pairing.

11. Outbush

Outbush

Nov 6, 2016
    Australia
    A couple of things to think about.

The bodies are thin and the top is quite curved. I find this really comfortable and it helps when playing with a pick as I am not co-ordinated enough to just thrash away at the strings with only my lower arm touching the bass. That means my little finger and ring finger are touching the body so that narrowness and curvey top are far more comfortable for me than a fatter bass like a Fender.

The SR necks are shallow front to back and especially suit people who have their thumb on the back of the neck like a classical guitarist might. I believe (and I may be wrong so hopefully someone will chime in and correct me if I am) that deeper profile necks often suit players whose thumbs wrap right around the neck and stick out sort of near the E string. If that's the way your fretting hand is when you play an SR might not suit. Often times people with big hands who play with their thumb wrapped right around the neck love classic Fender Precision basses with "bassball bat necks".

Nordstrand Big Singles are single coil pickups like a Jazz Bass but a bit wider so the "sensing area" of the pickup is a bit wider which I prefer to a narrow Jazz bass (J bass) pickup. It just sounds a bit more meaty. Problem is "single coil hum" can be a thing. If you want to use either the front pickup (a smoother tone) or the rear/bridge pickup alone (more treble and more aggressive start to the note) alone the bass guitar can be quite noisy emitting a constant buzz. I think the Aqulias won't do that as they are a dual ceramic magnet so probably a humbucker pickup (they "buck the hum"). I think the Barts are humbuckers too but I think they sound dull, dark and lifeless but that's me not you.

Finally, as has been mentioned above a few times, we here at TB love to talk about basses, basses and basses but amplifyers and especially the speaker cabinets also have a huge impact on the type of sound you get. Often times the "P Bass" or Fender Precision bass stalwarts and fans come out and say, "Hey, you only need 1 pickup and 1 tone knob and you can do anything." And, you know, that's sort of true. A good amp with a bit of adjustment in the tone controls makes a significant difference and then whether you hook that amp up to a Hartke, a Fender Rumble, a Mesa Boogie, Bergnatino etc etc cabinet will have a big impact on how that 1 pickup and 1 tone knob is going to sound.

So, I play an Ibanez SR755NTF and love it, but I always say get the bass that is most comfortable for you first and foremost. The one that won't make your fretting hand cramp up, that sits flat if that's your thing or points up to the stars if that's your thing. Make sure the balance and overall weight are right. Get the best cabinet you can that sounds right for you (test it at volume!) and as good an amp as you can afford (test it with the cab). And if you're younger check out the big older stuff that us oldies don't want to have to haul around anymore and so we're selling secondhand. There is some great gear out there but its bigger than todays gear and super good value, I hear.

12. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I cannot decide which bass to get-Help
    Maybe it isn't time yet to go shopping?

JRA and sonojono like this.
  13. smtp4me

smtp4me

Sep 30, 2013
    Philadelphia, PA
    I had a BTB780PB. Here is a link to one on Reverb as a reference: Ibanez BTB780PB CN Electric Bass Guitar with Magnetic & Piezo Pickups! 2008 Charcoal Brown | Haight Ashbury Music Center | Reverb

This one did not have a mid frequency toggle switch. The preamp was a "EQA-PZ4 piezo/magnetic pickup active controller" according to the specs, due to the peizo pickups under each string at the bridge. I tried playing with the peizos on and off, and to my ears, it sounded even darker when they were off (just the Barts). Although this was the only bass I've owned with Barts, I've seen (too many to count) YouTube videos of basses with them and they all have that similar dark tone to me. Some people may love it - just not me.

14. Wolfi228

Wolfi228

May 9, 2021
    Hello BBass, thank you for all the info. I do like what I heard so far in regard to the Ampeg Rocketbass. I’m just a bit hesitant right now with Ampeg, had a Ampeg BA 115 and did not like it.
    I’m sure the new Rocketbass is improved, hopefully.
    I have also been looking at the Hartke LH500 with maybe a Hartke 410XL. Not sure yet. So many choices, lol.
    Interesting comment on the Ibanez + Ampeg tone heaven. I think I will check out more demos for the Rocketbass.

15. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    I have an SRMS805 and the Barts while not as articulate as the Aggies or Nordstrands are still good pickups. The Fanned frets take about 10 seconds to get used to . They actually feel more natural than straight frets IMHO. In passive mode it can be a bit darker sounding but when active it can get as brite and articulate as any other bass.

16. I'd go for the Autumn Sunset Sky and a Fender Rumble 500.

17. Bozendoka

Bozendoka

Mar 13, 2011
    Minnesota
    I used to own an SRFF805 and I demo'd an SRMS805 and I liked the sound and finish a lot better, for whatever that's worth. If I wasn't hopelessly addicted to a 37" B string I would own an SRMS.

18. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

thanks for clearing that up! :laugh: we have too much of one and not enough of the other around here! :D

welcome to TB! :thumbsup:

not knowing what you want/need is a conundrum --- no one else can tell you what you'd do the best by. all of your contenders are great-looking axes. the one that has the best balance and feel is the one to get --- it's easy to change the sounds/tones! good luck with your bass quest! :thumbsup:

19. Ampslut

Ampslut Supporting Member

May 15, 2017
    What I like and what you will like is a real crap shoot. What is your current setup? I've owned some basses with Barts and they always left me feeling like the sound was too polite and lacked balls. But, my favorite bass tone is from my MM SR5 H (balls to the wall). I've played some basses with Nort's and Ag's and to me they have a more traditional (Fender-ish) vibe with plenty of high end zing for funk. As for the fanned fret thing? I have no experience with it nor do I have any interest so I can't be of much help there. Have you played any of these basses? If not, make sure you can return it if you just can't connect with it.

20. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies! Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    How about an Ibanez?
    ;)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021