1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I don't hate pre-aging/Relics...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by St_G, Jan 11, 2019.

1. St_G

St_G

Jan 22, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    But Holy CRAP, there are a lot of really terrible home attempts at it for sale on Reverb and eBay. Many of them on poly finishes.

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    They cause wadded panties here at TB. But they're just like everything else. There guys who can pull it off with some good mojo, and guys who should have never picked up the belt sander.

St_G, Raw N Low, miljoneir and 7 others like this.
  3. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    East of Eden.
    Poly finishes don't really age gracefully, but I'm sure you could do mild relic work to one if you were careful. I think some people just see it as an excuse to go rough on a guitar.

4. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Definitely an art to making it look natural.

5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    This. Some look great, and very natural. Others look just cheesy and terrible.

6. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I know many people like "reliced" look. That's okay with me. But to me, every time I see one, I think, "he should have taken better care of that instrument."

7. shaggy45

shaggy45 Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Georgia
    I like real relics personally. I have nothing against people that like and buy commercially done ones. If I were to buy a relic that was intentionally done I would get something from @Dark Horse I dig his builds.

Plake, Kukulkan61 and scuzzy like this.
  8. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    2 finisher / builder cats that do it well that I know of is Paul Slagle a TB'er & MJT , here is one of each :) and yeah I think Nitro will have the better appearance .

cEtSn4d.

RUP7vGu.

hqaL7OR.

nX3JZfq.

vkK0gzB.

mf7EfOZ.
    subtle but normal not overdone Paul is a master relic man and him and his buddies hang out here on TB and can often be seen talking code :D

ok up next is MJT , killer stuff , easy to get off ebay and do refins right .
    RahmIwwl.

x8u0lABl.

VsTyCApl.

And some legit age
    ma '72
    ZABh4Uxh.

and '68
    iT3dSB5h.

7RiGRTth.

fNVOdLZh.

IcK9GHjh.

8Mribr4l.

9. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    MJT does amazing work. They've done 2 for me and a 3rd will be underway shortly.

10. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    IMO, less is more when it comes to relics. People wanting to do this should look at a bunch or genuinely used basses and see how natural aging happens. Nothing is more ridiculous than a heavily aged body with a new neck and pristine hardware.

ppiluk, Admiral Akbar and hintz like this.
  11. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I was at a Sam Ash once and the tech was in the middle of "relic-ing" a guitar for a customer. It was some kind of Strat with what looked like a modern, shiny poly finish, or whatever's not nitro (I don't know what it is but it's whatever you shouldn't be relic-ing). He was going at it with sand paper and a screw driver for strategically placed dings. We chatted for a bit. He told me he's been back and forth to California and was on the verge of a job offer from the Fender custom shop. I didn't believe him.

12. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    Hahaha - A relic job done by one of Sam Ash's guitar jockies?! That's like going to McDonald's and having one of their line cooks attempt 5-star French cuisine.

13. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    The Custom Shop needs people to sweep floors just like everyone else.

14. My 1996-97 Custom Shop Relic Jazz (Cunetto) has been Reliced over the last 20 years of playing. So I guess it's been reliced twice.

Mantis Tobaggan likes this.
  15. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    I agree, so many bad, bad relic jobs. Whenever some a$$hat talks about belt sander and dragging behind a truck, I know that they have no conception of what a relic job actually is.

And the sharks are circling trying to figure out how to get an insult in at relics and the people that play them without getting dinged by a moderator.

From Forum Rules:

"Since artificially aging an instrument (i.e. relicing) is, at least visually, no different than artificially coloring an instrument (i.e. painting) any posts or threads insulting such procedures are hereby banned under the "no insulting ugly instruments" rule that has been the long-standing policy here at talkbass."

Mantis Tobaggan and HolmeBass like this.
  16. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    I have always felt that artificially ageing an instrument is phony/fake as hell. Always turn me off. Age by playing the crap out of it and having it a long time.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 1:44 PM
  17. Robert B

Robert B Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2000
    Hampton, Va USA
  18. jaco944

jaco944 Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2005
    MJT for the win.....and any excuse to post these again. I need to take some pics fully assembled. I have basses with so called honest wear, some pristine and some road worns. I like the relic look and really like the necks on the Fender RW’s.
    99E417BE-2F33-4925-A18B-A07111524227. 49B44AC2-D074-438C-AE28-325416BD76C7.

19. St_G

St_G

Jan 22, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    You clicked on a thread about relics just say you have no interest in them? See above re: wadded panties, I guess, huh?

20. jaco944

jaco944 Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2005
    Beat me to it.