I fainted today

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by AmazingGracePlayer, May 22, 2007.

1. This is going to be a long story. I don't want to sound like a jerk, but if you are one of those who's going to say "I want my 5 minutes back," then don't bother reading this...

I got a job at a local golf place. It's a pretty nice place - it was established since 1901, it has a lot of members and lots of reputation. With the application, the employer required a physicians signature, so I had to go to see my physician today to get checked and some get some vaccine shots.

I got to the physician's office with my mom at 4 or so in the afternoon, we waited a while, and went in. The physician, a close friend of my moms, by the name of Bonny, checked my height, weight, sight, hearing, and all that junk. I was fine. She took my blood pressure, and found it to be quite low 105-60 or something like that. She then asked me if I was hungry. I said no. I ate lunch, and breakfast, and I was not hungry, but my family has dinner around 5, so it was dinner time. But I wasn't hungry. She then took my body temperature, and found that to be somewhat high, so she asked me if I was feeling sick, and I said no, which was the truth.

Now comes the immune shots. I had to get 4. One for tuberculosis, one for hepititis A, one for measles, and one for some brain disease. I had to get the TB test because I'm starting to volunteer at the local hospital soon, and it requires a TB test every year; heptitis and measles were required by college; and I had to get the fourth shot because I'm visiting China this summer, and that shot was a requirement. Doc told me I could get 2 shots today, and 2 shots on Thursday, and I thought, why not just get them all today. I could take 4 shots.

She got the stuff out, gave me 4 shots, everything was fine. All done, OK! My mom and I then went into her office, and she was signing the papers and stuff. And she was done, and we were about to leave. I got up, and felt really light-headed, and I saw some light sparks in the room (there weren't sparks). I've never experienced this before - I know i's not from hunger because I've went on a day without food once and I was fine. So I grabbed a hold of the chair, and I called my mom. That time, my eyes were half open, so I couldn't see her. I think she asked me what's wrong. And then, I think the Doc said that my blood pressure is low, so she called the nurse to bring me some chocolate. At this time, I was slouched in the chair, with my eyes open, but everything was white and shinny, the only thing I saw, that was not white, was the light on the ceiling. Nurse brought me chocolate in 2 seconds, the Doc asked me if I wanted white or dark chocolate.

My family's very satisfied with this Doc, but I did not believe it when she asked me what kind of chocolate I wanted. I was about to pass out! Give me some goddamn chocolate!!! Doesn't matter if it's white or dark! My mom told her white chocolate, which is what I would've chosen if I could spoke at that time. I chewed it, and swallowed it. At this point pretty much everyone was panicking, and Doc told me to lye down in the other room where the bed was.

Next thing I know, I woke up on a bed, sweating like a pig, with my mom brushing my hair back (because I have long hair), the doctor wiping me with paper towel, and the nurse feeding me white chocolate. I don't know what the heck is wrong with me, but the first thing I thought when I regained conscience was Victor Wooten's mellow part of Classical Thump leading into Amazing Grace. I wasn't thinking about Victor, I was thinking about me playing it, and one of my best buddies watching. ***? I then shut my eyes, and I was fed about 10 pieces of white chocolate, and at that time I couldn't chew or swallow no more. 10 pieces of chocolate in a row will dry your mouth pretty quickly. Then, I heard some babbling from the Doc, and I recall this phrase "get a straw because he can't drink." So then I was fed about 5 cups of water...

I finally opened my eyes, and 2 things came to mind. 1. my tooth hurt quite a bit, and 2. I have to fix my hair. My hair is usually shaggy and it isn't geled back or anything. And my mom brushed all my hair back, so I looked like Jimmy Neutron. I took my right hand (because my left arm hurts from the shot) and brushed my hair back to the way it was. And then, I started to feel the pain in my tooth. I thought, how did that happen? And my mom explained to me...

After Doc told me to go lye down (at this point I already lost my conscience, and didn't remember a thing), I got up, walked towards the room with the bed, (the Doc was holding my arm) and fell onto the corner of a wall. And I guess my tooth hit the corner pretty hard and my upper lip was bleeding. You might ask, wasn't the doctor holding my arm? Yes, she was. She's also got an artificial bone in her leg, so she has trouble holding herself up... Shouldn't have count on that, I thought. And my mom, the doctor, and the nurse carried me onto the bed. And after some time, I woke up, and regained my conscience, sweated like a pig, and thought of Amazing Grace...

Everyone was shocked, because I've never had health issues before. Sure I've gotten flus and fevers, but nothing this serious. And the doctor took an electro cardio graph or whatever it's called. I remember she saying that my heart beat is very low, and I should go see a cardiologist... My mom then told me, later on, that I should've just said that I could not stand up and walk to the bed. And I told her that I couldn't control what I was doing, I didn't even recall hearing someone telling me to lye on a bed...

That's my afternoon, got my mom pretty worried, and probably will keep her worried for the rest of her, or my life...

2. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    I want my 5 minutes back.

I didn't even read it, either. I just want them back.

3. supergolum

supergolum

May 30, 2006
    Quebec
    I fainted once, and even if I was used to skip breakfast in the morning, and sometimes lunch, for some reason that day didn't do it. So I guess you can't really count on the fact that you already spent one day without eating and didn't faint.

About the fact that she asked you if you wanted white or black chocolate, I don't think it's because of a stupid doctor of anything. From what I see it might look more like a question to check your conciousness level or something. See if you can think clearly I guess.

For the rest, well I guess you should follow your doctor's advices and go see a cardiologist to see what's happenning with your low heart rate. Everything should turn out fine, I guess receiving 4 shots didn't help either :p

Anyway take care and follow doctor's advices would be great I guess. Take care!

Oh and... I want my five minutes back :p

4. SpankyPants

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Sounds like a classic case of vagal stimulation to me. Especially if you watched them give you your shots.

Happens to a lot of people. They should have elevated your legs.

What happened was a parasympathetic (flight-or-fight) reaction that essentially sent blood to your legs so you could run away. The loss of blood to your head made you light headed, loss of blood to your stomach probably caused nausea. Etc.

5. Yeah... shouldn't have went empty-stomached. Although I don't think it's from watching someone poking my arms with needles.... I was a brave little kid when I was young, I never cried when I got shots :)

6. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Did they use the word syncope (sounds like sink-a-pee)? What was your ECG waveform? How slow was your heart rate?

Waking up all sweaty sounds more like blood sugar than blood pressure, which makes a lot more sense since she kept asking about if you had eaten, and treated you by bringing chocolate.

So what's the ending of the story?

7. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    blood sugar dude. I've had stuff like that happen before.

8. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    What do you want? A freaking medal?

Cue: BC

9. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I have to be the medical nerd now. The Sympathetic Nervous System is the one in charge of adrenaline and fight-or-flight responses. The Parasympathetic Nervous System is the one that slows you back down afterward.

Although you were right on with the vaso-vagal prediction. That was mine while I was first reading it, before we got to chocolate and waking up sweaty. And propping his feet up and letting him sit just a little longer would have fixed the vaso-vagal problem. Unfortunately most people realized they're about to have a cagal episode right before they hit the ground.

10. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Never fainted despite looking at my guts.

11. ibnzneksrul

ibnzneksrul

Feb 2, 2007
    So Cal
    Sounds like you had a reaction to one or more of those shots.

12. I don't recall what words the doctor said... and I didn't get to see the graph, she just showed it to my mom and the nurse while I was still half awake on the bed. It might be blood sugar, but when she took my blood pressure she did say it was unusually low.

End of story? I lyed on that bed for about 20 minutes with my eyes closed. Thinking about Amazing Grace. Then I opened my eyes, did a sit up, sat up, and got up, thanked the doctor and left with my mom. And went home and started playing Sinister Minister. Well, I ate dinner, and then played Sinister Minister.

What went wrong in your childhood? What went right? Did you ever tell stories? Did someone ever tell you stories?

13. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Firstly, don't worry. I also like the make really long posts for about everything. In fact, sometimes I make it a goal to make it really long, other times it just happens.

Anyway, I'm not a medical expert by all means, so I'm not gonna even try to suggest what went wrong. I'm just thinking that getting four shots at once would have to do with it. Really, when I first saw this, the first thing that came to mind was "Oh no! Not AmazingGracePlayer!"

P.S...
    Fixed it for you.

14. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    My dog swallowed a corn cob once. He puked it up a week later! :eek:
    Glad you're feeling better. You are feeling better right?

15. You monster! He survived something so common that it happens to millions of people worldwide and all you can do is disrespect him? I guess you didn't read the part about the nurse hand feeding him white chocolate. You disgust me.

;)

16. SpankyPants

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    My bad, I was in a rush out the door. :D

And while most people know they're passing out (during vagal responses), they don't always know the reason. I've seen people pass out after having an IV put in, regardless of whether or not they even saw it.

And you may be right about the blood sugar. I thought he said he had eaten though, but I may have missed something else in my rush. I've seen hypoglycemic people realize they're having an episode too. Usually it's just something like "I'm dizzy", but they still acknowledge it right before it happens.

17. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    Hey Bard, are you the current/former paramedic? I remember a member here mentioning they were in EMS, but I couldn't remember who.

I'm a little surprised that the doctor gave him chocolate, since he could have lost consciousness and aspirated on it.

AmazingGracePlayer, I've had a similar thing happen before, actually, a few times. I have a heart condition called mitral valve regurgitation, where one of the valves doesn't close properly and a bit of blood backwashes into the left atrium.

I have had a couple of episodes where I ended up feeling very lightheaded, and in two of those episodes I ended up in the hospital, but everytime they did the EKG it turned out negative. I also started noticing that these episodes would happen if I was very tired and/or not eating/hydrating enough. So I wonder if it's my heart or possibly hypoglycemia.

Anyway, it's good to get to the cardiologist and have them check that out. Ask them to test you for hypoglycemia also. I should mention though, most people who get hypoglycemia do so due to diabetes treatment (too much insulin, not enough sugar), but there are also non-diabetic people who get it.

Good luck!

18. Jonny B

Jonny B

Nov 5, 2006
    WI
    Cool story. I only want back 2 1/2 minutes.

19. Haha, yeah, 4 shots in a row... I thought I'd just man up and take it, because it's just shots. It's not like whips... :p

I'm good now. Except both my arm are extremely sour (soar?) from the shots... There wasn't much physical damage done to me (except my lip has a big dent in it, my chin has a scar, and one of my tooth is quite loose), it's more of a psychological damage - knowing that I might faint from something I never suspected.

20. At least you know what's wrong with yourself :D
    All my grandparents, well, all the ones alive, have blood pressure problems, hypoglycemia, and heart problems. So there's a high possibility that I have one or all of those... I think I was quite tired today too. I was at a friend's house until about 1 am, and went to bed at 1:30am. Got up at 6:30, went to school, jammed with my band, and had to disband the band because everyone's going to college. But I did eat good breakfast and lunch. And I had some icecream before I went to get shots. Oh well...

Thanks Vince

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021