1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I finally get the hype with TI strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by brian579, Mar 25, 2020.

1. brian579

brian579 Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Staten Island, NY
    I have tried pretty much every brand of flat wound string on my Pbasses. Granted some were definitely better than others. I could never justify paying $70+ dollars on a set of strings when it came to TI flats. But, when I bought my Pino CS pbass a few months ago, I finally understood. I immediately went online and bought another set for my 63 pbass. These strings are unreal. Slinky and buttery with tone for days. Really exceptional. I can never dream of buying another brand of flats. The second best would be DR legends but TIs have really changed the game for me. Anyone out there agree?

2. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I agree...I am loving them so far
    Great on my jazz bass...reggae
    and now put a set on my PJ bass....Loving them so far
    Tempted to put them on my punk rock bass as well...They are very musical

Bassist30, pacojas, Loring and 2 others like this.
  3. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    I've been using them for many years now, after deciding I'd never know what they're really like until I tried a set for myself. Half of my basses have them on, and another bass has Jazz Rounds, another great TI product. I first bought a set of those after reading a really excellent interview with the US TI importer about them in the mid '00s.

4. brian579

brian579 Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Staten Island, NY
    I’d love to read that interview, please send it to me if you can find it. Thanks!

5. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Yes they are great strings but La Bella LTF's are off the chain. I like them even better....

6. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    PM sent!

7. I've basses strung with both TIs and LTFs. It's too early to make a judgement.

Same TIs have been on some for 6 years and more,only had LTFs maybe 18 months.

Longevity is the true test for flats.

Giffro, SethD, cool breeze and 4 others like this.
  8. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    One of us. One of us.

I really like the feel of the TIs, but the La Bellas do the old school thump so well. I just can't play them... Maybe I should try the LTFs, but they don't make six string sets I think.

joker820, Loring and Iofflight like this.
  9. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    what are the differences between LTF vs TI?
    if I put each on the same P bass what will I hear that separates them?

murphy and BOOG like this.
  10. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Been sporting Ti flats on all my basses for decades. They just simply bring out the best in every bass.

11. LowEndLobster

LowEndLobster Bass reviewer and youtube dude guy. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2003
    Northern MA
    I have em on my Ric 4003SW. They're magnificent.

9mmMike, MG Wolf, Jeff Scott and 4 others like this.
  12. You betcha!

lowdownthump and Jeff Scott like this.
  13. ELG60

ELG60

Apr 26, 2017
    Mid-Florida
    I have TI's on several of my Jazz basses and EB Slinky Cobalt Flats on a couple more. I mostly play the basses with the TI's for whatever reason.

I've often been complimented on my tone if not my playing, part of which I attribute to the strings.

14. subtlestew

subtlestew Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2000
    Kent, CT
    Welcome to the TI flats cult. Now you must recommend them enthusiastically every time someone starts a "What kind of flats should I use?" post. That's the TB way.

:)

(I have them on all my basses)

15. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    Been using TI flats for over twenty years now , about half my basses have them . I prefer a string with more tension on a shortscale though and have been putting LaBellas on most of those . Both Rics immediately were strung with TIs . Pbasses too . I also have really old rounds on my Dano , factory strings , probably made in 98 . I have a set of LaBellas ready in case I lose a winding or break a string . Keep fresh rounds on the Stingray .

brian579 and Element Zero like this.
  16. Kevin Teed

Kevin Teed

Mar 8, 2013
    The first time I tried them I struggled a bit with their low tension, but now they are one of my favorites.
    Perfect strings for my old Rick.
    IMG_20200306_184646836.jpg

17. Tom Gallo

Tom Gallo Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Outside Boston
    I'm a huge fan of TI jazz flats. Just wish they weren't so expensive.

brian579 and Gizmot like this.
  18. Gizmot

Gizmot

Mar 22, 2009
    Nashville area
    I've written on several posts over the years that T-I Jazz Flats are fantastic and for most of the last two decades, I've used them on all my basses. It makes no difference what type of bass you play, they'll make it sound like a million bucks and with their low tension and smooth windings, they are a dream to play. Expensive - - yeah, but when you consider how long they last, they are still an excellent value.

pacojas, bassrique, Loring and 6 others like this.
  19. TIs are exceptionally fine strings, and I've been using them since the late 90s. I'm on my fourth set, I think. But they are not the holy grail. There are things they won't do. Not my number one choice for slap, metal, very loud classic rock, or anything which needs a scooped sound. I'm sure there are people who successfully use them for this, but I am not one of those people. TIs have a complex, orchestral tone, and if you are playing high gain or percussive stuff, it's like using a racehorse to pull a cart. A waste, and they don't do it very well.

Edit: I also want to add that they are highly sensitive to small changes in setup, much more so than the D'addario nickel rounds or GHS pressurewounds I otherwise use.

In my experience, that is! YMMV.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  20. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    TIs are brighter, lower tension, longer sustain.

Labellas are thumpier and darker.

Kokoman, lowdownthump, Loring and 6 others like this.