1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I finally get the hype with TI strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by brian579, Mar 25, 2020.

1. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    Section 204
    I bought a set of 344s on Amazon a few weeks ago. Around $50 including tax and shipping. Put them on a P, and I’m really enjoying the feel and unplugged tone. Plugged in, I’d give the tonal edge to LaBella LTFs. Plus the A string on the TIs is a touch thin/light for me, wish it was 075 like the LTFs. But that’s really my only gripe.

If/when I run across the 345s at that price, I’d love to try them on my Jazz V.

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  2. I would of taken those off and put on say a set of Fender flats-which are great flats but not TI great. Especially 20 year old ones. But again that may be what sold the bass and would hate to disappoint the buyer.

3. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Where's the TI Jazz Flats in this photo?

4. Guys keep a watch on Amazon for the TIs. (Well after the pandemic subsides). It’s like watching gold prices. I finally bought my 1st set last March shipped TTD right @ $50.

I put em on a recent pawn shop prize 1987 Korean Squier E7 Bullet and became an instant convert.

Been watching for months, pulled the trigger on 4 sets when I thought as low as they’d go-$51.25 each TTD. (In Feb.) Next day dropped $3. If you can get them around $50, I consider a bargain.

The UK sellers seem to offer best prices even with shipping. Get this though-tracking showed mine started in Australia (I guess actually Austria technically) then to Italy. Next on the Great Britain. Shipped to US. Delivered to me 13 days total by USPS for cheapest rate chosen.

tindrum, bassrique and brian579 like this.
  5. Good eye. Red silks conspicuous in their absence.

tindrum likes this.
  6. smtp4me

smtp4me

Sep 30, 2013
    Philadelphia, PA
    Could I also ask for that link, please?

7. fermata

fermata

Nov 10, 2015
    Mountain West
    Although I try to only use Amazon when I can't get an item locally or from a smaller online business, the low price on Amazon was my gateway into TI Jazz Rounds about six months ago.

I was hesitant to buy them sooner and from a full-price vendor because of the frankly misleading info I'd read here on TB--specifically the "they're floppy" line, which turns out to be quite untrue. Supple and light gauge, sure, but decidedly not floppy or noodley feeling (which I have experienced and strongly dislike). And the rounds feel nicely balanced. (I'm using the so-called 'short scale' rounds on a 32-inch scale bass.)

Anyway, when it's eventually time to buy another set (even with an hour or so of daily play, six months in they sound just like they did after about three weeks), I won't hesitate to shell out the full amount to my preferred online string shop. They're really wonderful strings.

BunnyBass Interview: Kevin Reynolds of Thomastik-Infeld strings

8. WaldoNova

WaldoNova Having fun yet? Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Mt Vernon, NY
    I just got a 6 string set , from the Tb shop, and put them on my ACG with the DFM filter pickups and preamp. I was concerned that the filter pre would cancel out any benefit but they just provided a great starting point. I easily dialed in a great progressive metal/rock tone. I heard about them being floppy but, to me, the tension is very similar to DR High beams.

If these strings last for few years or more I'll be ecstatic!

Loring likes this.
  9. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    "Anyone out there agree?"

I was agreeing with you 25 years ago! :thumbsup:

Haroldo and Loring like this.
  10. Gee Man

Gee Man Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2016
    W. MA.
    I'm in. Have them on 3 of my 5 basses, the other two sporting LaBella DTB flats and Hofner flats.

brian579 likes this.
  11. Mark Ambler

Mark Ambler

Nov 18, 2017
    London, UK.
    They’re both great strings. The LTF have a little more tension, which I prefer for playing live, whereas the TI have a little more clarity, which I prefer for recording.

Bass V and Loring like this.
  12. Hofner basses like them, and so do Epiphone Jack Casady basses.

Coolhandjjl likes this.
  13. Iofflight

Iofflight Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2018
    Sweetwater is now carrying TI brand reg rounds, power rounds, and flats plus short scales. The yellow packaging version is more money than the version with the blue background with Red jazz bass but they are the same JR344 or JF344 as far as I can tell. I've used both.

I've had the flats on my short scales - the JMJ mustang and StingRay SS but moved the SR short scale to the rounds (which sounds great on this bass). Recently I tried the long scale rounds and was so impressed I put them on my P bass and Jazz bass. At this point I really love both the rounds and flats equally. There is no break-in period on the rounds for me they sound great right out of the package. It does take a bit getting used to the lighter gauge as I prefer a 45-105 gauge in general. Given that I've been surprised that I like the Regular Rounds better than the Power rounds. I went ahead and put power rounds on my 34" StingRay Special, they are a tad darker which works well with that bass's active EQ but I keep wondering how the regular rounds would sound on it since I like them so much. I guess I'll give them a try whenever these give out. I honestly have no idea how long the rounds tend to last. I know the flats can stay on indefinitely.

At this point I only have one bass without TIs and that is my birdsong C bass which has La Bella flats on it. Even my upright, e335 guitar and D28 Acoustic have TIs on them. I think it's fair to say I'm a huge convert after 2-3 years of trying a ton of strings on different basses trying to find the right fit.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    lowdownthump likes this.
  14. Spupilup

Spupilup

Jan 11, 2019
    I have a set on my G&L CLF L-1000. I also have a set of LTF's on my L-2000. First, both strings do a great job of reining in these very aggressive basses. I definitely prefer the TI's over the LTF's but am glad I have the LTF's on the L-2000 for times when I want to really dig in. The LTF's are much better under those circumstances. Otherwise, I tend to gravitate to the L-1000 and the TI's more often. I should also add that the TI's have a much wider range of tonality unto themselves. The LTF's have the trademark LaBella thump albeit, less so than the Deep Talking versions.

15. Spupilup

Spupilup

Jan 11, 2019
    I should also add that I have the TI Power Bass strings as well. If you must go round, they're pretty special in their own right.

Iofflight likes this.
  16. 7615

Nov 19, 2015
    T1's depend on the bass - sound great on some of basses but not so good on others.

17. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Eastern North Dakota
    Sorry, that pic is from the unboxing at work. It came with nickel rounds that I put on my jazz bass. I just wanted an excuse to post a picture of my bass.

TN WOODMAN, Jeff Scott and Iofflight like this.
  18. oldskoolskatedad

oldskoolskatedad

May 18, 2014
    I bought it off the used section of the Guitar Center website in January of 2018 for $600, don't remember the location of the store it came from but I think it was somewhere down south.

19. ejaggers

ejaggers

Aug 18, 2009
    Fort Worth, tx
    JB,
    It seems we are in the minority here.
    I put a set on my Coronado which is short scale but uses LS strings.
    I also couldn't get with the low tension, but maybe they would work on one of my LS basses.

I replaced them with Chromes which made my Coronado happy again.
    I said I'd try them on a LS next time, but I never did.
    They have been collecting dust ever since.

JohnnyBottom likes this.
  20. Iofflight

Iofflight Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2018
    That was my experience with the C bass, I tried the Ti flats on it and as well on the StingRay short scale, they weren't bad they just weren't right. I ended up liking the La Bellas better on the C bass for the dark thumpy sound and the Stingray just benefitted better from rounds. I had a really hard time with that bass in particular. The slinkys it came with really gave it a clangy sound I did not like, that same string on the full scale special wasn't off putting in the same way to me. Anyway I tried quite a few strings on the SR SS before landing on the rounds and it's great now.