1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I finally get the hype with TI strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by brian579, Mar 25, 2020.

1. TL23NC

TL23NC

May 22, 2015
    Raleigh NC
    Since this thread reminded me that I have a new set of JF344 strings waiting to be used, I could use some advice on which bass to put them on. I'm thinking it would be the Fender MIM Jazz (which is at my sister's house, has been virtually unplayed and is wearing new Fender 7050's). Or maybe my Carvin BB-70 (GHS Pressurewould ML7200). My fretless Ibanez P has Dunlops, which I like a lot. In another month or so I'll be moving and I'll have access to the Jazz again. Would that be the best choice for the TI's? Seems a lot of TBers love them on Jazz basses.

bassrique and TN WOODMAN like this.
  2. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Tallahassee
    i love the sound but am not a low tension player. Would LOVE if they would make a medium and heavy set. They are like spirocores on upright and those are great.

SteveFromBerlin likes this.
  3. baileyboy

baileyboy

Aug 12, 2010
    Uh, how many? Lots of strings sound great for "days".

4. Adienn7

Adienn7

Jan 26, 2007
    I got them late last year.. I like them.. The feel and sound great

brian579 likes this.
  5. Iofflight

Iofflight Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2018
    I was going to say try them on the Jazz first. If it’s not a 100 thumbs up swap on to another.

TL23NC and TN WOODMAN like this.
  6. Dr. Love

Dr. Love Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Lubbock, TX
    I've tried a bunch of flats over the years, TI's are the winners for me because of the way they sit in a mix: they have the flatwound sound, but are still articulate and defined so they come through clear in the mix instead of being boomy and blurry the way some flats are.

7. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    I love them on my fretless Roscoe.
    If you think $70 is a lot, go price a 6-string set ;-)
    Worth it, tho...

8. It's been awhile but I once recorded a vid demoing the TI's with my PBass.

9. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I love my TI flats. Because my usual supplier is out, I purchased as set of DR Legends. I am trying to decide which bass to put them on. P or J or PJ. What would you suggest?

10. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    I can't help you with that, but I can mention that I bought mine through the TalkBass store.
    They're in TX too...

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  11. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Not familiar with any of those basses (never played any of them), but given your options (of course, this depends on your own personal tone goals) I'd do the Jazz Bass first. I have owned a lot of Jazz Basses over the decades (got my first one, a late '60s model in 1971); all of them were MIA, most from the early '70s with the classic '60s pickup spacing. I have a few recordings of my former 2003 AV '62 Jazz Bass with TI JFs on it that has been posted here several times in the past. Most TBers seem to have liked the tone of them on that Jazz Bass.

TN WOODMAN and TL23NC like this.
  12. i was thinking about stringing up my L1505 with some TIs.
    currently, i have some chrome flats on it. they seems fine, but i'm curious how TIs sound on the L1505.
    what do you like about them? and do you have the 43-136 set?

oldskoolskatedad likes this.
  13. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Didn't think to look there. Thanks

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  14. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    Not oldskoolskatedad, but, ... I have a set of JF345s on my fretless Elfin 5. I got the bass in 2010 and had XLs on it until I finally got the TIs for it just a couple years ago; I should have bought them much sooner! :bassist:

TN WOODMAN and oldskoolskatedad like this.
  15. fermata

fermata

Nov 10, 2015
    Mountain West
    Who wouldn't want a tone like this guy's?

16. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I got hip to Thomastik Infeld strings on double bass about fifty years ago, and I have all of my electric basses strung with TI Jazz Flats.

TN WOODMAN and Skillet like this.
  17. Fun With Dirt

Fun With Dirt

Mar 25, 2017
    North GA
    They are truly great strings. I particularly used them on my archtops. ...but, after awhile, I just didn't get the value. So, I do D'Addario Balanced Tension and I am pretty happy. :)

18. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Los Angeles
    This pretty well states the sound of Jazz Flats. The tension issue - I prefer lower-tension strings in general, and use various DR round-core strings as my roundwounds of choice. But I've found the TI's to be too floppy for my tastes.

Sadowskys are my preferred flats. "articulate and defined," but also a fuller-spectrum timbre - I sometimes found the TIs to be all midrange, and could not get the sense of low and lower-mid power that I can pull from the Sadowsky flats. Also, a bit more tension - not tight like La Bellas or Fender, but still satisfying my prefer for some left-hand flex. One note - my use of the Sadowskys has so far been limited to fretless bass, on which they really sing. But I've been thinking about trying them out on one of my fretted axes.

19. Cutter8

Cutter8 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2018
    Georgia
    I adore TI Flats and use them more than any other string, but not exclusively. You should try Pyramid Gold Flat Wounds some time. They are another fantastic and equally unique set of flats, but quite different than the TI’s. Old school, rich, round, thumpy goodness from strings that are incredibly smooth and supple without being floppy. I haven’t tried the LaBella LTF’s yet, but I ordered a couple of sets that should be delivered in the next few days and I’m very excited about trying them based on everything I’ve heard!

20. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    These are improvised jams, literally. We just said "GO!" and off we started jamming.