1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I finally get the hype with TI strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by brian579, Mar 25, 2020.

1. TL23NC

TL23NC

May 22, 2015
    Raleigh NC
    I think I'll try them on the Jazz. The TI videos posted here sound great. Thanks to the fine TBers who replied so quickly. Let's all hold down the low end and stay healthy!

Jeff Scott and TN WOODMAN like this.
  2. oldskoolskatedad

oldskoolskatedad

May 18, 2014
    I do have the JF345 (.043 - .136) strung on my L1505. Can't help comparing them to chrome flats as TI Jazz flats are the only flats I buy. As for the TI's on the L1505, I slapped them on the day it was delivered. I believe the L1505/1500 have a bit of a reputation for being overly aggressive to some and the flats might soften the sharp edges if you get my meaning. That being said the L1505 with TI's is still extremely punchy with plenty of crunch but so silky smooth under finger.

3. LUCE

LUCE

Jan 9, 2015
    Denver, CO
    I love TIs on my P. The lower tension makes me play differently, and further enhances their warmth. My#2 choice is DRs as well. A little more tension, but silky smooth right out of the box. Feel like a broken-in set of GHS.

4. Codrin

Codrin

Mar 15, 2019
    As a newbie in the bass world, of course that in my first year I've searched for the right :) strings. I'm very glad that I've found the TI flats, it is all that I need at this moment...and most probably in the future too.

stringsII.jpg

Take care of you!

staurosjohn and bassrique like this.
  5. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    It sucks that they are so expensive, I'm good with my $23.00 Fender 9050Ls :rolleyes:

TN WOODMAN and ejaggers like this.
  6. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    I looooooove TI Jazz flats......I use 'em on one of my Fender J5s, but for me, the sleeper application for 'em is my Emerald Baylor ABG......they tame the noise factor and provide warmth, excellent feel and are still bright enough to project. I hate the price, but they are the Sultan of all flats by a country mile.

Iofflight likes this.
  7. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    A5FE3386-5AB3-4277-BE55-9816F4C4A290.jpeg
    TI Flats on my Squier CV60’s “Pino” as well. A perfect match !!

nonohmic and TREYontheBASS like this.
  8. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    I have them on my L1500 fretless and would agree completely. Very nice matching indeed.

oldskoolskatedad and mobeme23 like this.
  9. the_home

the_home Gold Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    I've been trying to catch a used set of TI for less than $(way too much) for a while now, just to see what the hub bub is all about. I have a set of Pyramid flats on my Alembic Series bass 'cause that's what they were shipped with back in the day (can't be by accident) and love the feel and tone. I have some other flats (Chromes) on both basses (70's P bass and 60's Gibby EB2) and skinny string guitars and they're fine, sound nice 'n' mellow but feel machined.

The other problem is most of my (played) basses (besides the Series) are 5 strings strung E to C, which usually necessitates purchasing a 6 string set. Needless to say those are all round wound .

I'm not able to spend $100 to see if I like 'em. So, somebody sell me a lightly used set for less than $40 so I can join the club.

10. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    It’s kind of ironic that you would balk at $70 strings but not at a $5000 p bass.

11. thanks for the follow-up. i've had TI Flats on a few other basses, with mixed results. I am still on the fence, but based on your description, i think they may be just what i'm looking for.

oldskoolskatedad likes this.
  12. I have them on my Gretsch Junior Jet, but my P basses (my main players) all have Chromes. Can someone comment on going from Chromes to TIs on a P?

13. Rayjay

Rayjay If that’s even my real name.. Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2014
    Lahaina, Maui, HI
    They are certainly great! I never got the floppy complaints, as they don’t feel floppy in the slightest to me. They’re just not as tight or sticky as others for sure.

As far as tone is concerned, and also longevity, I think they’re great but in my experience DTFs have them beat.

I recently had a pair of 4.5 year old TIs on my P, and they lost their authoritative voice and developed a rattle. There are unpleasant overtones present (not the normal open string harmonics- more akin to a ringing bell and fret buzz combo). I reluctantly changed them for a set of Cobalt Slinky Flats and my bass was twice as loud and popped out of the mix instead of being buried.

14. MG Wolf

MG Wolf

Nov 29, 2014
    Due East
    TI Flats on this :thumbsup: IMG_2522.JPG

And TI Rounds on this :cool:
    IMG_4199.JPG
    Avec Plectrum 24/7 :D

15. MG Wolf

MG Wolf

Nov 29, 2014
    Due East
    Would love to read that interview as well, please and thank you. :bookworm:

lowdownthump likes this.
  16. drumvsbass

drumvsbass

Aug 20, 2011
    Winnipeg
    The feel of TI flats is that of little silken elves massaging your fingers whilst you play.

17. Old Fart

Old Fart Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Yup. Some of my basses have rounds, but I mostly prefer flats. For flats, I like TI and LaBella. For very different reasons, obviously.

18. PeaveyPlayer

PeaveyPlayer Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2014
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    I have em on my G bass

I prefer la Bella

Will be changing to cobalts

19. bradd

bradd Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    I've had LTFs on my main Tele bass for around 6 months. They're a decent string, but they don't have that upright thunk with thumbs and palm muting that the TIs do so well. I'll be moving them over to a backup bass soon.

20. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    MG Wolf, Skillet and subtlestew like this.