Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I finally ordered my EA rig

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Nuno A., Apr 16, 2004.

1. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND
    I finally ordered the iamp 500 and the wizzy cab from Bob G.(who else?) I just cant wait, i bought based only on the comments i've read here and on other sites..i never bought an amp and a cab without trying it myself, but living in Switzerland, this time i just didnt have another option..wish me good luck because i'm really putting a lotta hope on this rig...if this rig doesnt work for me, i guess i'll be back to the mikes and never buy an amp again(thats what i always say) :D

NUNO

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    That is going to be one sweet rig! If for any reason you don't like the sound that you are getting out of it, take a break, read the manual, set the EQ to flat, and have another go at it. Personally, I think that you are going to love it set very close to flat, but the iAMP 500 has a powerful EQ section. Unfortunately, it provides you with as much potential to dial in a tone that you don't like, as it does to nail your "perfect" tone. My iAMP 800 took me a while to become comfortable with, but once you do, you'll have that perpetual "EA smile" on your face! The Wizzy is just a fantastic little cab, and I am sure that it will serve you well.

Congrats!

Tom.

3. Nuno A.

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND
    Just to say that i received the EA iamp 500 + wizzy this morning..
    Didnt have much time to tweak, so i just decided to leave everything flat and just see how this "little monster" worked..
    HUAU.....with everything flat, my bass sounds better than all my previous rigs together...
    the clarity is amazing, and talking about volume...well, this rig is amazing, the wizzy is just a sweet box...i will play tonight and sunday, and comeback with more reports....
    and of course, Bob G. service is unbeatable....he's the man...
    back to you guys later..

NUNO

4. junglebike

junglebike Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Killer! I just got an iamp 800 combo, and it's unbelievable for both upright and electric. The eq section is just fantastic for upright bass once you get the hang of it. Doubling, I have the EQ set up for my upright. When I play my electric, I select the contour presets and disable the eq -- that way there's no futzing with sliders during a gig! fantastic.

Oh... and to the EA guys: you need to put a picture of the retractable dolly handle and rollerblade wheels on the 800 combo on the FRONT OF YOUR WEB SITE!!! This makes an already light (59lbs) hi-powered combo almost as convenient to lug around as one of those new Acoustic Image New Yorker 23lb combos!!! If I had known about this feature, and its implications, I would have bought it a long time ago! All amps should have this!!!

The built-in tuner is killer, too :D

5. Nuno A.

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND
    ok, after playing live with my new rig, all i can say is....UAU
    the iamp 500 + wizzy is an awesome rig....i was undecided between the iamp 500 or 800, and i wrote Gary at EA, and this is what he answer me:
    " The 500 paired with the Wizzy cab is an awesome setup.* It's small, lightweight, loud, and easy to transport.* The Wizzy has a warm but uncolored sound, and players that use it for upright bass have been very impressed.* Unless you need 1000 watts of power, I don't see why the 500 and the Wizzy would not do just fine."
    In fact, this combination is SO LOUD, you just dont believe alll the sound which comes from this 42 pounds rig....clear, warm tone and the tone shaping possibilities are endless( i found out that so far , the sound i like the most is with almost everything set flat).
    I highly recomend that if you have the chance , you should try this combination, of all the amps i had in the past(more than 20 maybe :crying: ) this is by far the best sounding amp of them all, great uncolored sound , with plenty of balls...
    now, because G.A.S. seems to never stop, i want to buy a mike to use trough this rig in small places... in bigger places, i will use a pickup into the i amp and a mike into the house P.A.
    i wont see myself buying another amp in a long time....

NUNO

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Glad that you like your new rig! That should serve you quite well.

Tom.

7. flatback

flatback

May 6, 2004
    Bolinas Ca
    so I read this post and went to bobs page to check out the amp and I am very interested. I like the specs but I need to know really how acoustic it is going to sound? I have this set up now: a audio technica atm 35 and realist going into a tube pre then into a parametric eq then into a line mixer and then into a Mackie srm 450 Pa speaker. It sounds great and acoustic and all but it is a beast to gig with. I end up using my other rig which is a Demeter tube direct into a GK 150 which sounds ok and tight but kind of electric-y. Seems like this iamp is addressing some serious issues. anybody run a mic thru it?